Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The proper way to play large scale games?
View Poll Results: After reading this thread, do you think games 2500points and over should use...
Apocalypse 5 20.00%
Force Organisation Chart 13 52.00%
The idea in post 1 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Apr 2010, 13:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default The proper way to play large scale games?

Greetings,

I am sure many of us love playing large scale games (vassal rules) but, some players take apocalypse the wrong way. Sure, play apoc, but have another "normal" version of big game playing, because i dont like playing a 3000pt game against 3 baneblades, 4 LRBT's, a deathstrike missile launcher and other vehicles when i create a nice balanced and fluffy list.

Dont get me wrong, i want my opponent to be compedetive, but seriously! For that reason, i think that apocalypse's "No FoC" rule is very bad, and although it encourages and rewards people who buy 6 baneblades, it really doesnt encourage or reward the players who play against them.

The alternatives? The FoC is a very limiting factor for most armies at the 2500point mark, and some armies even at the 2000point mark. For this reason, i think that we use a FoC similar to Fantasy and play by these rules.

500 point game - Combat patrol rules
501-1000points - 2HQ, 6 Troops, 3 Elites, 2 Fast Attacks, 2 Heavy Supports
1001-2000points - Normal FoC
2001-3000points - +1 HQ, Troops, Elites, Fast attack and heavy support.
3001-4000points - as above
and so on.

you always MUST have 1 HQ for games up to 2000points, and after 2000 points you MUST have 2 HQ. All points games have 2 troops minimum. Apart from that it's whatever. The lower FA and HS choices in the lower points games will stop people using 3 hammerheads (although why bother anyway) but it seems a little silly to have that kind of option that open.

If you really wanted to use apoc units, then you could use the following rules - but dont take this into consideration when voting for the thread.

[box]Superheavies tanks can be used in 2000+ Points, but use up 2 heavy support and 1 elite choice.
Flyers can be used in 2500+ points, but use up 1 elite, 1 fast attack and 1 heavy support choice.
Gargantuan creatures can be used in 2000+ Points, but use up 1 elite, 2 troop and 1 heavy support choice[/box]

So what do people think? Opinions?

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 13:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: The proper way to play large scale games?

After the 2000-2500 mark I would go with 2 FOC instead of 1 or doing Apocalypse.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 13:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think it depends on the gaming group, scenario in question, and general size of the game. Enforcing a FoC is fine if you're looking for a more balanced game, but some people quite enjoy throwing down multiple super-heavies.

Apocalypse just needs to be played with the right mindset to be a successful game. The people who buy and use 6 Baneblades are doing it wrong and should not be given your time of day.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Father's Left Hand
After the 2000-2500 mark I would go with 2 FOC instead of 1 or doing Apocalypse.
That is a great idea - That is a fourth option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The FOC works. I also hate Apoc for the simple reason they have thrown it in the trash. I would continue to use the FOC, but in large games just give people multiple FOC's. There could be not limit to the number of FOC's, but at least requiring players to complete each FOC before starting their next one would be a much better system than to take as many superheavies as you possible can.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 14:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Before Crescent
The FOC works. I also hate Apoc for the simple reason they have thrown it in the trash. I would continue to use the FOC, but in large games just give people multiple FOC's. There could be not limit to the number of FOC's, but at least requiring players to complete each FOC before starting their next one would be a much better system than to take as many superheavies as you possible can.
Forthermore you could make it that Superheavies/flyer/gargantuan must take slots from the second FOC not the primary one. This would limit the spamming of such unit.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 15:48   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

3rd Edition was best, without question; Super Heavies get their own Detachment (ie: Force Organisation Chart). This meant the game had to be over 2,000pts, as games below that value don't allow multiple Force Organisation Charts.

Next, the Detachment consists of 1-3 Super Heavies of more or less the same type. So, for example, you could have a Baneblade, a Shadowsword and a Stormsword in one Detachment, but you couldn't have a Stompa, Battlefortress and Looted Baneblade in a single detachment, as all those vehicles are too different from each other!

Really, this was the best way of doing it, and they should still do it that way now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 15:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
3rd Edition was best, without question; Super Heavies get their own Detachment (ie: Force Organisation Chart). This meant the game had to be over 2,000pts, as games below that value don't allow multiple Force Organisation Charts.

Next, the Detachment consists of 1-3 Super Heavies of more or less the same type. So, for example, you could have a Baneblade, a Shadowsword and a Stormsword in one Detachment, but you couldn't have a Stompa, Battlefortress and Looted Baneblade in a single detachment, as all those vehicles are too different from each other!

Really, this was the best way of doing it, and you could still do it that way now.
Fixed it for you.

Just because GW has a method that they would like you to use, doesn't mean you have to use it!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 16:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You could have a system of force organization that brakes down your army into typed sub units.

Heavy support contingent
500 points (of which 350 points must be heavy support units) or some such
And this would fill one of your Force organization slots

A 500 point troops contingent for IG could for example consist of a command platoon, an infantry platoon or two and a veteran squad.

Now lets say that all of the forces in a given slot have to be from the same army.

Now lets say that the bigger the battle the higher the points limit is on each contingent.
This is actually not no a idea idea.
Quote:
my brain went all 'splodey from reading that
"Help! I think his brain is leaking!"
Blightedmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2010, 16:11   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I like Wargamer's suggestion best. Simple yet effective.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote