Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fast skimmer Question
Old 09 Apr 2010, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fast skimmer Question

What is the maximum distance a fast skimmer can travel and still fire its main weapon? Curious minds would like to know. Thank you.
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Fast skimmer Question

12 inches i believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Jayne is correct, its 12 inches, any farther than that and you are moving flat out.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

If your asking about the new lander models for Blood Angels, it's 24 inches and 1 primary weapon (it has power of the machine spirit thus allowing it 1 extra weapon). Everything else bars shooting over 12
Old 09 Apr 2010, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

No, no blood angels craft. I was curious about the Tau fast skimmer with the Fusion Blaster and the 2 drones. For having played Tau the last three years , one would think that I could remember it's name right now but I can't.

I was really hoping to find a way to stop the dreaded two pronged Land Raider / Terminator Attack when I play my Tau. I am playing with 2 Broads and 2 Rail heads. I have a 5 man Pathfinder Team but I was wanting to stay away from getting the 2nd PF team and the Devilfish that would have to go along with it.
As it stands now I would (try to) stop the one prong of the assault with the Pathfinders and the 2 Broads. When the Landraiders pop smoke it make sthem hard to stop. Once they make that 2nd move on the 2nd turn against Tau, it's usually all over for the Tau. Ideas anyone?
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

You mean the Piranha.

For landraiders you want Broadsides and Helios Battlesuits. use the Railguns to pop the Raider, then jump in with the Helios to take out the Termies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
If your asking about the new lander models for Blood Angels, it's 24 inches and 1 primary weapon (it has power of the machine spirit thus allowing it 1 extra weapon). Everything else bars shooting over 12
I'm sure that's one extra weapon in addition to any it could shoot, since it can't shoot going flat out, no shots.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 04:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by juraigamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
I'm sure that's one extra weapon in addition to any it could shoot, since it can't shoot going flat out, no shots.
I had to look it up to be sure, and check the Moving and Shooting table also, but...

The rule states it can fire one more weapon than it would normally be allowed, and then goes into an example. The example talks about a Land Raider moving at Cruising Speed being able to shoot one weapon. On the moving & shooting table the entry for that speed is "No Weapons"... But it can shoot one, per Power of the Machine Spirit.

Now to look at the Stormraven: For the speeder, which is a Fast vehicle, the entry under Flat Out reads "No Weapons", exactly the same wording as the Cruising Speed for a normal vehicle. And the rules for a Fast vehicle state that moving Flat Out is treated the same as moving a non-fast vehicle at Cruising Speed. As such, the Fast Skimmer should be able to move Flat Out (24"), and fire one gun just like that Land Raider moving 12"...
noahfidanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 06:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I believe that is correct. Machine Spirit got a significant boost in the last codex, so an awful lot of non-Fast Imperium vehicles have as much firepower and movement as some supposedly Fast (shooting, anyway) ones like multi-tracked Tau Hammerheads. I think the Leman Russ's Lumbering Behemoth rule does something similar as well.

I wish somebody in the Powers That Be would revisit the firing of Tau vehicle gun drones. The rule states that they can fire in addition to any other weapons the vehicle can fire, but the FAQ states that they can only fire if the vehicle can fire something else also. Just like everything else, that makes them similar to the Imperium rule Machine Spirit, but weaker. I'm not bitter about it or anything.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 08:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

That feature hasn't changed since 3rd edition, however back in 3rd the MS was only BS2, not 4. Land Raiders being able to fire like that shouldn't really be new now, the PoTMS is just better is all. It also allowed a land raider to fire a weapon if it was stunned or shaken, and it still does.