Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Templates and Assaults
Old 08 Apr 2010, 22:49   #1 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Templates and Assaults

Ok, quick question regarding Flamer templates and assaulting. If someone shoots off a flamer and it hits two units, can the shooter choose which target to assault?
Assume the shooter is an IC without people attached
Old 08 Apr 2010, 22:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8
Default Re: Templates and Assaults

Well it would be the unit that was originally targeted by the flamer weapon. This is pretty unlikely as one has to make sure that a maximum amount of models are hit from the unit targeted, but if one manages to hit another unit, it's a bonus, one doesn't get to charge it.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2010, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rapture
Well it would be the unit that was originally targeted by the flamer weapon. This is pretty unlikely as one has to make sure that a maximum amount of models are hit from the unit targeted, but if one manages to hit another unit, it's a bonus, one doesn't get to charge it.
Exactly, by-the-book, 100% correct!

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2010, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You must declare a unit for your shooting and try to cover as many in the target unit as possible. Even if you can accomplish this while simultaenously shooting another unit, you still have to pick one before the shooting even occurs.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2010, 23:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Dark Eldar Talos and Tau unit with target locks are the only units which are able to choose which unit to assault (as long as it ione they shot at, in the case of the Tau)

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 06:05   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Pretty sure Daemons with We Are Legion can shoot at multiple targets and then choose which they assault, too.

So effectively you can nominate either unit before shooting, but then you have to assault that one? Or do you have to nominate the one that gets hit by the template first?

Also, how does this work with abilities like Aura of Decay, where everything in a certain proximity to the user gets hit?. Do I get to choose who to assault after it goes off, hitting multiple units?
Old 09 Apr 2010, 06:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Pretty sure Daemons with We Are Legion can shoot at multiple targets and then choose which they assault, too.

So effectively you can nominate either unit before shooting, but then you have to assault that one?
Or do you have to nominate the one that gets hit by the template first?

Also, how does this work with abilities like Aura of Decay, where everything in a certain proximity to the user gets hit?. Do I get to choose who to assault after it goes off, hitting multiple units?
This.

The second...
As for AoE's, unless they have a target (most don't, I strain to think of one that does in an aura ability) then your choice should be free since it wasn't a directed shooting attack/one needing a target I believe.

Old 09 Apr 2010, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Ok since I have a topic up, I wanted to ask a question about single models assaulting two separate units.
So lets say I have a Winged Daemon prince (12" movement), and the opponent has three Land Speeders ahead of him, in sort of a box formation. I'll illustrate
x
x x

d

The Daemon Prince assaults, finding himself in Base to Base contact with all three Land Speeders. Can he divvy up his attacks, as per the rules for fighting multiple assaults, or does the assault move become illegal since he's touching a model from a squad not being assaulted? (Seems that this wouldn't make sense since the model IS being assaulted by the Daemon Prince being in Base to Base with it)
The result of the assault would look like this

x
xdx
Old 09 Apr 2010, 06:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Ok since I have a topic up, I wanted to ask a question about single models assaulting two separate units.
So lets say I have a Winged Daemon prince (12" movement), and the opponent has three Land Speeders ahead of him, in sort of a box formation. I'll illustrate
x
x x

d

The Daemon Prince assaults, finding himself in Base to Base contact with all three Land Speeders. Can he divvy up his attacks, as per the rules for fighting multiple assaults, or does the assault move become illegal since he's touching a model from a squad not being assaulted? (Seems that this wouldn't make sense since the model IS being assaulted by the Daemon Prince being in Base to Base with it)
The result of the assault would look like this

x
xdx
IIRC, if you can divide your attacks up between the units then you can allocate to both units before rolling to hit, though the hits that glance/penetrate the one squad will then be allocated on the two squadroned vehicles by the controller before the results are like a normal unit would.

As far as I know though, on a model by model basis you can only attack one unit a turn. This is why you can swamp individuals with multiple IC's.

I'm not fully up on the intricate CC stuff like this. If I make it to CC I have a specific target, if/when they make it to me... I write the Tau unit off usually. :P

Old 09 Apr 2010, 06:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
I actually considered doing just this earlier today. I ended up not cause I was about a quarter inch out, but even then I was thinking I should double check the BRB. Oh, well. Great way to solve rules questions, by the way: if you can't do it, who cares!?

Checking the BRB, however, that type of move is illegal. Under "Assaulting Multiple Enemy Units"...

Quote:
As usual the closest attacking model must be moved to contact the closest model in the enemy unit against which the assault was declared. Then remaining models can assault models belonging to other enemy units, as long as they keep following the rules for moving assaulting models.
So, yeah. You need at least 2 guys in a squad to assault 2 enemy squads. And the "moving assaulting models" section can be very tough to follow.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote