Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blast/Ordinance targets
Old 03 Apr 2010, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Blast/Ordinance targets

I play an ork army and my buddy plays either space marines or Imperial Guard. He uses lots of ordinance and blast markers on me. When he selects a target before rolling for scatter, he will place it in the middle of my large units. I look at examples in the rulebook and it shows that target of the blast is a model that is closest to the shooter. So I like to say maybe if the gun was an ordinance barrage it could target the middle of my units because it shoots up to the air and units or tanks could only shoot at someone at the edge of the army because it is firing straight at it. I like my idea better because it saves me some orks. Anybody know how it officially goes? Thx boys
hogger95905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2010, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Blast/Ordinance targets

Don't have my book at the moment, but this should all be laid out under the blast weapon rules.

1.) Pick a target
2.) Place the blast marker over any model within the target unit
3.) Check range; if the blast has been placed over a model too far out of range, the shot is discarded. Otherwise, roll for scatter.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2010, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

They put there template where ever they want in your unit as long as the middle of the blast marker stays in range. As far as I know there is no difference between barrage and not barrage in this rule just for the cover saves.

Also ordnance does not affect so any blast marker can be placed any where in the squad to cover as many men as possible.

Also if it scatters out of the guns maximum range it is removed and nothing happens.

And you can scatter into combat and still wound the people you hit.

- Will
Old 03 Apr 2010, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deris87
Don't have my book at the moment, but this should all be laid out under the blast weapon rules.

1.) Pick a target
2.) Place the blast marker over any model within the target unit
3.) Check range; if the blast has been placed over a model too far out of range, the shot is discarded. Otherwise, roll for scatter.
Being lazy, this is the correct way of doing it. You pick the model than place the template. Some people like to place the template trying to get the most.
Someone probably will eventually refer or quote the book. I'll wait till to many wrong answers show up before I crack open the book for a simple rule like this.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Blast templates can be placed anywhere as long as it is in range and in LOS.

Barrage weapons can be placed anywhere as long as it is in range.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2010, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess I'll quite the book so you know how it's used. Turn to page. 30 for blast. I'll quote this for the guys who love to just place the template.

" When firing a blast weapon, models do not roll to hit, instead just pick one enemy model visible to the firer and place the blast marker ( see diagram ) with it's hole over the vase of the target model ..... Next, check if the shot landed on target. If the hole at the centre of the marker is beyond the weapon's maximum range, the shot is an automatic miss... If the target is in range.... Roll the scatter dice and 2d6 ... Minus the firing model's BS..."

Looking at pg. 32 under barrage it states the circle is origin of the blast fir cover also you have to consider minium range as well. Also barrage weapons pin. Also you can fire at targets you can't see which means no bs bonus.

The barrage weapons still follow the basic rules for blast when picking a target and then put the plate over it. The barrage rules is an add on to the blast.

Ordanace Barrages causes pinning as well expect -1 ldr.

Since vehicle damage and multiple templates wasn't asked I'm not going to answer unless asked.

But you follow these steps

1. Pick Target
2. Place Template
3. Check Range
4. Roll Scatter -bs
Old 03 Apr 2010, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Chicop is entirely correct. I have one small point however...

Quote:
1. Pick Target
2. Check Range
3. Place Template
4. Roll Scatter - BS
Numbers 2 and 3 should be swapped. Pick an enemy unit, place the template over any model's base in that unit, and then check to see if the center of the template is within range.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2010, 18:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Chicop is entirely correct. I have one small point however...

Quote:
1. Pick Target
2. Check Range
3. Place Template
4. Roll Scatter - BS
Numbers 2 and 3 should be swapped. Pick an enemy unit, place the template over any model's base in that unit, and then check to see if the center of the template is within range.
My bad. That's pretty bad after I just quoted the book.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 18:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos
Also if it scatters out of the guns maximum range it is removed and nothing happens.
If it scatters out of the gun's range it still hits whatever is under the template.
" 'Hell's bells Harding!' McMurphy yells suddenly. 'I don't know what to think! What do you want out of me? A marriage counsellor? All I know is this: nobody's very big in the first place, and it looks to me like everybody spends their whole life tearing everybody else down. I know what you want me to think: you want me to feel sorry for you, to think she is a real bitch. Well, you didn't make her feel like any queen either. Well screw you and 'what do you think?' I've got worries of my own without getting hooked with yours. So just quit!' "
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sea-Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2010, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Zan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos
If it scatters out of the gun's range it still hits whatever is under the template.
This is correct. The only time you remove the template with no hits resolved is when you initally check the range of the shot. If you place an LRBT shell 72" away and it scatters a full 12 inches further you still get the shot.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote