Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do old codexs use new codexs updated items?
Old 02 Apr 2010, 11:29   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Do old codexs use new codexs updated items?

I haven't been able to find a clear black and white answer on this - but would an older codex use the newer definition for the same named item?

For example, the storm shield in the daemonhunters book has a single 4+ invulnerable save in close combat, and the dark angels has it as 4+ all the time, but the current rulings for storm shields in the space marine books have a 3+ Invulnerable all the time.

I've heard a few scant reports on models using the most up to date rules for an item, but as I said - I haven't found anything concrete.

Thanks in advance.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 11:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Do old codexs use new codexs updated items?

No SILK, old codexes do not use the new rules for any updated items with the same name. I'm surprised you didn't know this, there was a massive hullabaloo over it when the current Space Marine Codex came out. Jervis said "If you really don't like it then you can just use the new rules for the items in friendly games," but as always Jervis doesn't give a flying monkey's arse about the tournament scene - or even just those who want a fair game off-the-bat - and his "ruling" means diddly-squat.

The main sufferers of this are the assault cannon and the storm shield, as well as things like Rhinos and Chimeras suffering in terms of points values. It's stupid I know but that's the way it is.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 13:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
No SILK, old codexes do not use the new rules for any updated items with the same name. I'm surprised you didn't know this, there was a massive hullabaloo over it when the current Space Marine Codex came out. Jervis said "If you really don't like it then you can just use the new rules for the items in friendly games," but as always Jervis doesn't give a flying monkey's dyi about the tournament scene - or even just those who want a fair game off-the-bat - and his "ruling" means diddly-squat.

The main sufferers of this are the assault cannon and the storm shield, as well as things like Rhinos and Chimeras suffering in terms of points values. It's stupid I know but that's the way it is.
Wow I did not know they didn't get the 3+ invul save, what about the scatter rules for orbital bombardment? Do they use the new rules or the rules stated in their codex?
Old 02 Apr 2010, 14:11   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

If the codex has a specific rule it always takes precedence. You can't mix and match codex rules and wargear.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 14:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

As a rule of thumb, you use the rules stated in the rulebook unless your codex specifically outlines the way you use it otherwise.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 14:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The reason why I was asking is because the Witch Hunter FAQ says they follow the new rules for orbital bombardment, but in the Demon Hunters FAQ it doesn't say anything about it.

Had to edit this as well, check out the Dark Angels FAQ, I know I saw something about giving armies the most updated rules (Most important rule). Even if you are playing in a tourney and someone doesn't let you take the updated version for your wargear slap them upside the head :P!!
Old 02 Apr 2010, 14:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah well... there goes my Grey knight hero with a 3+ Inv save :-\
Old 02 Apr 2010, 15:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hurrah for heavy 3 assault cannons on my Crusader!

We do get some things better then the new ones though, like Force Weapons which ignore Eternal Warrior, and better Machine spirt rules on our crusaders for example.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 15:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Better Machine Spirit? Do the Templars or Dark Angels have a different PoTMS than the usual 4th ed one? The new one is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than that old BS2 shot. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2010, 18:05   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thats my point - why should the wargear in each codex be so vastly different from the next?