Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jet Packs?
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Jet Packs?

I've been re-reading the big black book and notice with Jet Packs you can move in difficult terrain with out a terrain check or dangerous terrain check. But if I choosed to move doing the assault phase whilst not assaulting I would take a dangerous terrain check if I move in or out of terrain. On pg. 52 main book. I have to re-read the Tau to see if it work that way for them as well.

That's really good for the dark eldar heavy support that can just move in terrain with no penalties with 4 dark lances. As long as they don't start or end doing their assault move than they'll be fine.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:41   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Jet Packs?

The Jet Packs are specific to Tau (and maybe Warp Spiders, I seem to recall them being able to get an assault phase move too). Most other races use Jump infantry (the normal rules, also on p52). If you look at the section titles Movement, you will see that any Jump Infantry (including those with Jet Packs) must take a dangerous terrain test if it starts or ends in difficult terrain.

So yes, you may move over/through difficult terrain w/o a test as long as you don't start/end in it.

(if this is too specific of a quote, I will happily remove it)

[edit] fixed a formatting mistake

[edit] Zeeblee is right. I forgot that jump infantry may choose to walk like normal infantry (ie, max 6 inches), and avoid the dangerous terrain test. However this then subjects them to the normal difficult terrain rules.
corsairmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think you can only move into/out of terrain without the dangerous terrain test if your movement is less than or equal to six inches (choosing to move as infantry and during the movement phase). Jump infantry can also do this if I recall correctly.

Also, the Dark Eldar scourges have jump packs, not jetpacks, and thus don't have the assault movement that Tau battlesuits do. Instead they could move a full twelve inches in the movement phase (but would then make a dangerous terrain check). Any movement whatsoever also prevents them from firing their dark lances.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 07:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is why I should look at stuff at 2:00 in the morning. I did the read only the jet pack box and not the whole page. Also dark eldar don't have jet packs my bad. Anyway can you still make a standard walk into terrain without using the pack than.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Dark eldar bikes have a pretty much bike version of jet pack - a 12'' move in movement and then a 6'' in assualt phase (or a 24'' turbo boost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:50   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Dark eldar bikes have a pretty much bike version of jet pack - a 12'' move in movement and then a 6'' in assualt phase (or a 24'' turbo boost)
Eldar Jetbikes can do that too.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Eldar Jetbikes can do that too.
i know i know...but dark eldar win because scourges are better (and extremely overpriced) compared to Dark Reapers - and the scourges drink red bull.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote