Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Will you guys yell at the beginner?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Will you guys yell at the beginner?

Will you guys yell at the beginner? Hi! Guys, it is me again, I brought so many GW stuff, and I never play a single game. Last Week, I went to the shop to play a small game. I told a guy, this is my first game, and some of the rules, I still do not know, like how deep strike work. He told me. that's fine so we played the game. On my second turn, I did made a mistake, and he started yelling already, I told him I m a newbie, so correct me if I was wrong. I mean I made mistake, you did not need to yell. I mean, this was rude to a newbie.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Will you guys yell at the beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombevil
Will you guys yell at the beginner? Hi! Guys, it is me again, I brought so many GW stuff, and I never play a single game. Last Week, I went to the shop to play a small game. I told a guy, this is my first game, and some of the rules, I still do not know, like how deep strike work. He told me. that's fine so we played the game. On my second turn, I did made a mistake, and he started yelling already, I told him I m a newbie, so correct me if I was wrong. I mean I made mistake, you did not need to yell. I mean, this was rude to a newbie.
Someone who yells at a newbie is a complete dickhead.

Newbies should be helped, because a good game against a good opponent (that they can grow into) is better than an easy game against a newbie who is still not sure on everything.

Course, everyone has bad days - that might be why he yelled - work stress or something got to him.

I used to play with newbies at my club, but I'm not the most patient of people, and when I felt myself getting frustrated I backed off. I don't want to let my failings put off a newbie who wants to learn.

The people who taught me to play tended to be a bit dickish, and a bit beardy and out for the easy win, so I remember what its like to be in that position, and its not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombevil
I myself haven't played many games, and I think I would of just left the game. Hell, you made a mistake on your second turn, of your first game, it should of been expected of a newb.

you could go to your local GW and join their club. Mine has a pistoliers, for those who are new to the game, but its limited to 500 Pnts.

I would never yell at a newb. Because we was all one once. Except for Wargamer. :P

Just keep gaming. Like everything, you'll get better in time.

Ninja'd! But your right.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I might sigh emo-like when answering basic question online, but in person I would never yell at another player, beginner or not.

I actually enjoy teaching newer players the rules and I still make mistakes in my games, I don't think I've ever seen a player play a "perfect" game consistently.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp

I too am a rather new player, and i often find my self to be "king of the newbies" so to say, as i try to help out other players that have been playing as long or less time that me. And i totally agree with most statments here that i/we should help and encourge new players to learn the game. I have only got into a shouting match once, and it was with a senior player at the tourny who believed i was rolling my dice wrong the whole game...no matter how i tried to appease him.

You will always find people who are so rule crazed that players shouldnt play against any way, let alone new players. One should always be helpful and patient with new players, but not treat them like idiots....even though i have face palmed accouple times.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Some people lose their cool, but you are a young and new player. I prefer a noob asking for help and advice rather than trying to win on pure cheesy list (eg abbaden in 1000pts). After a game, if i look like i wiped their plate clean with their bloodshed barely taking a scratch, i'll give them a few pointers as to where they could improve - even if they are an experienced player (and y'klax-headed players take this as an insult and use utter arrogance in response...)

Dont feel bad, it was your opponent, not you - there isnt anything you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
I might sigh emo-like when answering basic question online, but in person I would never yell at another player, beginner or not.
Depends if it were a debate :P Jks, i know you, just like me and probably half of TO have their opinions - you are just great at sticking to that opinion by all cost

Quote:
I actually enjoy teaching newer players the rules and I still make mistakes in my games, I don't think I've ever seen a player play a "perfect" game consistently.
I play ork, tau and dark eldar, and because all of the vehicles shoot like fast vehicles (either because they are, or becaue of multitrackers) i have on multiple occasions tried to shoot my looted wagon's skorcha after moving 12''...my opponent(s) have picked me up both times. Another annoyance is blast templates, because when i play guard (as rarely as that may be atm) i am too used to Hammerhead/Ravager BS of 4, rather than guardsmen's 3 (maybe i just need paskie) :P

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Depends if it were a debate :P Jks, i know you, just like me and probably half of TO have their opinions - you are just great at sticking to that opinion by all cost
Surprisingly, while my arguments are the same, in person I'm not quite the tyrant I seem like online. I'm actually more persuasive if anything, because I can get people away from their googled sources and into my mindset.

As for Orks... Meh, little things like that wouldn't really bug me. That's all innocent mistakes. You can't punish people for honest mistakes.

I may be a martinet of RAW, but I'd rather people learn the rules (imo) correctly than some of the weird houserules that have tried to pop up at our LGS.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I do think veterans have a duty to help newbies. Even if its not a full on tutorial game they should offer advice or answer questions. Every veteran was a newb once, and they wouldn't be where they are today if no one helped them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 01:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Of course you tell at newbies, and you beat them with dreadsocks...how else they gonna learn?

Joking aside, no, yelling isn't acceptable at all. Newbie or Veteran. It's also not acceptable in any other game as it's not necessary to talk any louder then a regular voice.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 01:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Except when calling a "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote