Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has anyone ever made an instructional DVD?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Has anyone ever made an instructional DVD?

I was thinking that...as a long time 40k fan but new player.. I would love a step by step DVD.

Ive read the rulebook, and ive read battle reports, but as a visual and auditory learner, and someone who likes to see something done before I do it, I would kill for a good instructional DVD.

I find it odd that GW has never made one.

I just think something that goes over the basics of making an army list, and the strategy behind it. Then takes you step by step through a few different battles, showing the deployment and movement and shooting and everything. How to allocate wounds, how to organize your units on the battlefield, how to use things like teleport homers and marker lights and template weapons and all the stuff that is explained in one way or another in text but much more difficult to apply to the actual gameplay for a new player.

I would have easily paid an extra 10-15 bucks for a rulebook packaed with a DVD that did something like this.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: Has anyone ever made an instructional DVD?

I think most of us read the book and then just jump into our first game to figure it all out.

I've never seen an instructional DvD but I'm sure youtube has them for free.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I guess my issue with just jumping into it is that, for one, I dont have any friends who play or would be interested in playing, so im pretty much going this solo.

Secondly, I have had a guy that I met online in a 40k community give me a instructional game at one point and it was informative but it was also uncomfortable and "odd" since it took place in a very hot shed out on a piece of property he owned, he was in a hurry so we only had about 45 minutes, and he was an uber dork that liked making lots of sound effects and talking like his 40k units would talk.

Alltogether it made me wish that I had a more laid back and private way to teach myself the game rather than having to go out and talk to some strangers to find someone who was willing to sit down and teach me the ins and outs.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Got any local hobbyshops? Places that sell the models almost always have a game day and those settings are usually alot more enjoyable for learning.

I'm in one of the smaller states of the US and I've got 2 shops within 5 miles.

I did find this with a quick look on youtube, don't know if it's up to 5th edition but hey, it's a start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGaSkssrPo
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

His video for shooting mentions the 5th edition book brining in true line of sight so it is 5th.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Look on youtube under BeastofWar. They do some great tutorials on painting and gameplay. That is the best I can think of.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 20:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
and he was an uber dork that liked making lots of sound effects and talking like his 40k units would talk
... This is totally normal and playing with people like that is one of the best things about 40k, rather than gaming with some emotionless chess-gaming automaton.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 20:52   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks, Ill check that out on youtube.

And Circus.. that is entirely a matter of opinion .

If I wanted to roleplay id be buying D&D rulebooks instead of a Warhammer codex. Im sure many people feel differently about it, but for me.. im looking for a group that likes to relax and have a good time while they play, but does so while avoiding any behavior that might be viewed as hilariously lame by the non-dorky public .
Old 26 Mar 2010, 21:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
and he was an uber fork that liked making lots of sound effects and talking like his 40k units would talk
... This is totally normal and playing with people like that is one of the best things about 40k, rather than gaming with some emotionless chess-gaming automaton.
The sound-effects make the dice roll better, I have proof!!!

[/crazy]

Seriously though, the sound-effects may seem stupid to you, but to us they just help immerse ourselves in the game, just like actually reading the fluff, naming our commanders or even just painting our models.

Also, you say you want to avoid behaviour that might be viewed as hilariously lame whilst wargaming. I wish such a thing existed. Unfortunately, the general non-dorky public tends to view wargaming as hilariously lame.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 21:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Meh.
I'm with corbie on that this one.

Then again, id love to hear what noises circus could come up with, however weird they may sound. :P