Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmer Tanks Tank Shocking Question.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 04:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Skimmer Tanks Tank Shocking Question.

Ok here's a question

If a skimmer pivots and declares that it is tank shocking moving flat out

In it's path there's a Land Raider and behind the Land Raider there's a Space Marine Unit.

Can the Skimmer 'skip over' the Land Raider and only tank shock the marines? Or must it 'tank shock' everything in it's path and thus has to ram the Raider first?
Old 20 Mar 2010, 04:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Skimmer Tanks Tank Shocking Question.

To my understanding, the tank hits everything along the line to the target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2010, 04:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
To my understanding, the tank hits everything along the line to the target.
That would be my understanding as well. That you can't 'skip' over things if the move is a tank shock.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

RAW is not clear on this at all. In the rules for Ramming and Tank Shocking, the book says that the vehicle must move in a straight line. Clearly, a normal vehicle would have to tank shock everything in its way. The rules for skimmers come later in the book and modify the vehicle movement rules to say that they can move over terrain and units that are in the way. Unfortunately, the book does NOT make it clear whether that ability applies in normal movement only or in all movement including tank shocks. The rules for tank shocking say the vehicle must move in a straight line, but the skimmer rules never make clear whether that is a straight line in 2 dimensions as viewed from the top of the board or whether that is a straight line in all 3 of the dimensions that a skimmer uses.

In my opinion, a skimmer should be able to choose when during its movement it is skimming over something and when it is trying to plow through it. Of course, if it choose to ram / tank shock something that is in terrain it must take a Dangerous Terrain test. Of course, this is my opinion and interpretation; not absolute, canonical truth.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2010, 13:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The way I have always seen it is you could choose to pass over the land raider and tank shock the marines.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 13:45   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
I got a reply from GW Canada:

[quote Author=Zenai]In a 40K forum I'm in, we have this interesting debate about skimmer and tank shocking.

One member asked this:
My opponent wants to Tank Shock one of my Infantry Squads with one of his Falcons/Wave Serpent BUT one of my Leman Russes were in the way. So, I thought he has to Ram the Leman Russ but he, supported by C_V *shakes fist*, argued that the Skimmer can go OVER the Leman Russ so it can Tank Shock the Infantry Squad. In the BOB, it says it has to go STRAIGHT but since it's endorse by C_V, I didn't want to argue.

For the whole discussion it sparked you can follow this link:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=75608.0

But in a nutshell some argue that: Yes he can ignore the Tank becasue it is a skimmer and it can pass over enemy unit (as long as it doesn't stop over them); other argue: No he can't, because tank shock force him to fly low to the ground and he must first ram the Russ and if he survive then ram the infantry squad.

Both sides present good arguments, but I was wondering what in GW ruling on this.

Regards,
Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
Wow, that’s the second email I’ve gotten today from the very same topic of that forum.

From reading (and re-reading) the wording of the rulebook, A skimmer may pass over enemy units while moving and since the ramming rules require a vehicle to “contact” the target this does not have to happen. Since there is no specific exception to the “pass over” anywhere in ramming of tank shock that is the only way to interpret the rules.

That said, whenever a rules question is answered it is our interpretation of the rules AS WRITTEN, and not in any way what we feel the “spirit” of the rules are.
Quote:
That's because I know the guy and you haven't replied him yet. So, since you're services is kinda speedy today, I thought I ask the question.......again.

OK, so even though the Tank Shock Rules say you can't ram through friendly units EVER, Skimmer are an exception to this because they're Skimmers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
Correct, because again, they don’t come in contact.
[/quote]
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2010, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd agree with GW's team's interpretation. It never says it circumvents the normal rules for movement for that vehicle, just that it must be in a straight line. I'm only a bit worried that this is an odd rule to spring on someone and might lead to irritated opponents, even though it seems pretty solid RAW-wise.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2010, 14:03   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
I'm only a bit worried that this is an odd rule to spring on someone and might lead to irritated opponents, even though it seems pretty solid RAW-wise.
Though a good reason to make Skimmer Tanks more expensive point-wise than conventional Tanks.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
I'm only a bit worried that this is an odd rule to spring on someone and might lead to irritated opponents, even though it seems pretty solid RAW-wise.
Though a good reason to make Skimmer Tanks more expensive point-wise than conventional Tanks.
Ask any Tau or Eldar about the price of their skimmer tanks! I think they'll argue that skimmer tanks ARE more expensive than conventional ones.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 06:51   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Quote:
Quote:
Though a good reason to keep Skimmer Tanks more expensive point-wise than conventional Tanks.
Ask any Tau or Eldar about the price of their skimmer tanks! I think they'll argue that skimmer tanks ARE more expensive than conventional ones.
Fixed :P