Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lets talk counts as....
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Lets talk counts as....

Okay guys with the upcoming Blood Angels book that ive been waiting for ever for....you get what I mean...... Ive seen somebody on this site and on a few other sites mention using the Blood Angels to represent Night Lords.

I love the idea. Always been a big fan of Night Lords fluff and the BA codex looks like it could actually fit the theme of the Night Lords being that I can take tons of Jump packs, fast rhinos, Combat tactis for hit and run and Death company as the criminals, rapist and more that have joined the Night lords ranks.

I can see this being a problem though. Imagine you and I are setting up and I pull out my Night lords army and you think cool Im playing Chaos, then I say this is a 'Counts as' Blood Angels army. How would that make you feel?

So after all this it really becomes a simple question. How far are you guys willing to take count's as?
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Lets talk counts as....

The fluff of your story means nothing on the table top, really. If you pulled out a bunch of night lords, but your roster said "Blood Angles" then it would be OK. I mean, if someone doesn't read a list (at a tourny) then it's their own fault. If it's a friendly game just make sure you tell them.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Well the way i see it, your Blood Angels, just create your own splinter group with the fluff of the Night Lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nope, no problem at all.

The current CSM dex sucks for their representation.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

As long as you put the effort in to make the army WYSIWYG I see no problem. If you just took your chaos army out of storage and have to proxy everything, then It's no good. But building the army around the codex, and making sure your opponent can tell what is what (or at least you can easily tell your opponent, and your consistent), then I find it's a wonderful way to be creative. There is just a boundary between having a really good count-as army, and one that is obviously there to abuse the latest codex.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 14:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I don't think I have ever seen a Counts-As army I didn't like.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valten
Imagine you and I are setting up and I pull out my Night lords army and you think cool Im playing Chaos, then I say this is a 'Counts as' Blood Angels army. How would that make you feel?

So after all this it really becomes a simple question. How far are you guys willing to take count's as?
I'd play you if you were using paper cut out tau models with appropriately sized paper bases and the Necron codex for rules tied to specific units if you wanted. Makes no difference to me so long as you have a legal list from a single codex and the units and bases are the right size for los.

If I saw you pull out well modeled and painted Night Lords, I'd probably think "awesome" and the thought would end there regardless of the Codex you used to represent them, and I'd look forward to playing it.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 17:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Go for it. Nobody should have a problem with such a counts as army as long as you're clear with which codex you're using. Some of the most awesome armies are counts-as, from Orks under the Imperial Guard ruleset to Adeptus Mechanicus under whichever ruleset strikes your fancy.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan
I'd play you if you were using paper cut out tau models with appropriately sized paper bases and the Necron codex for rules tied to specific units if you wanted. Makes no difference to me so long as you have a legal list from a single codex and the units and bases are the right size for los.

If I saw you pull out well modeled and painted Night Lords, I'd probably think "awesome" and the thought would end there regardless of the Codex you used to represent them, and I'd look forward to playing it.
Well said, that's what a good player should do imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I don't think I have ever seen a Counts-As army I didn't like.
More a conversion than a "counts-as" but have you seen the Mr. Potatohead Stompa? I don't know why, but I could see you making one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Go for it. Nobody should have a problem with such a counts as army as long as you're clear with which codex you're using. Some of the most awesome armies are counts-as, from Orks under the Imperial Guard ruleset to Adeptus Mechanicus under whichever ruleset strikes your fancy.
Truth, I've seen some great "counts-as" armies, some of the more common are recent "breakways" to the Imperium still fighting with their rules (or Alpha Marine anything).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

If someone complains about your "counts-as army" tell them its a <Codex Here> army, but you just didn't like the color scheme. They can't really argue about that.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote