Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions regarding Artillary type units
Old 17 Mar 2010, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Questions regarding Artillary type units

I used artillary (as i have a few times before) but a few situations popped up in this game which i wasnt sure how to properly handle...

Rhino declares a Ram on an artillary unit (grots and big gunz). If the gunz are at the front, (i.e. between the crew and the ramming vehicle) then do i need to take a leadership test?

Vindicator places large blast so it covers 3 guns and 3 grots. Does that hit 3 guns and 3 grots, or do you roll a d6 and 1-4 is on the guns, 5-6 is on the crew? If all the crew were in cover, but the guns were not would the gunz get cover save as being part of the unit?

Thanks in advance - cant belive these things didnt come up earlier

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 13:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Questions regarding Artillary type units

Your first situation is definitely unique. It could be argued that any artillery contacted are Rammed. I'm not really sure about this one...

For the Vindicator, yeah, all hits on the unit are randomized. And if 50%+ of the unit is in cover, they're in cover.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 13:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Your first situation is definitely unique.
yer i know, who rams a fearless artillary unit with a vindicator (i remembered it wasnt a rhino at all)

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Would a grot die since he is firing the gun? Yeah I have no clue on this one either. Second one I am not sure but I think a Kustom force field would give a cover save to both the grots and the guns.

Another question is can artillery death or glory and who ends up dying. IF they are tank shocked would the grot end up dead or both the gun and the grot?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 18:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Hmmm... interesting... let's see what I can find in the BRB.

pg 55
Quote:
When firing against an artillery unit, roll for each hit inflicted: on a 1-4 a gun is hit, on a 5-6 a crewman is hit. Roll to wound the crewmen and to penetrate the guns’ armour separately.
Blast or no blast, use this rule, as others have mentioned.

For artillery doing a death and glory...
pg 69

Quote:
If a unit that has been attacked by tank shock passes its Morale test, one of its models in the vehicle’s path can stand and attempt to destroy it
So, you'd think that artillery could death or glory, but...

Quote:
However, if the ramming tank comes into contact with an enemy vehicle, the collision is resolved as follows.
So, no, artillery cannot death or glory. Work it out like a normal ramming attack. Chances are, that artillery is going bye-bye, sadly.

For morale, pg 55 again:

Quote:
For the purposes of Morale and other Leadership tests, and for combat resolution, always ignore the gun models, as if they were not there.
So, no, no morale.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 23:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
Quote:
However, if the ramming tank comes into contact with an enemy vehicle, the collision is resolved as follows.
So, no, artillery cannot death or glory. Work it out like a normal ramming attack. Chances are, that artillery is going bye-bye, sadly.
But a walker is an enemy vehicle, and it can make a DoG attempt even though it still cops a ram. If a heavy weapons guard team can DoG with a missile launcher, it makes sense for 2 grots to be able to fire a kannon in a desperate attempt to save their contraption. it makes sense to me, but i suppose that is the rules...

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 18 Mar 2010, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Yes but walkers have special rules detailed under walkers allowing it. They even have special rules for stopping the ram attempt, they also cannot make a ram because they can assault.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 04:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
Yes but walkers have special rules detailed under walkers allowing it. They even have special rules for stopping the ram attempt, they also cannot make a ram because they can assault.
Funny that i thought walkers couldnt ram because you had to be a tank. Its not really a walker special rule (unless there are walking tanks) :P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19 Mar 2010, 06:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Duuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr, I'm silly. Guns can indeed death or glory. pg69

"Artillery units may attempt a Death or Glory! as well, with either a crewman (resolved as above) or a gun model. If a gun model does this and fails to stop the tank, both the gun and one crewman are removed."

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote