Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Local Group Tournament Help
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Local Group Tournament Help

My local gaming group and I are looking at running a tournament, probably with 5 participants. Our thoughts are round robin with wins being 2 points, ties being 1, and losses being 0. The top 2 scorers would move on to the final match.

Our dilemma comes in we don't know how we want to accommodate possible ties. This is a "friendly" tournament, and not all players have tournament quality armies, so appearance and sportsmanship ratings are pretty much out. Suggestions?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: Local Group Tournament Help

Are you talking about a Tie in the final, or a Tie for a spot in the final?

Either way, you could do something similar to rugby league. Have a for/against record with victory points.

Every time a battle is over, both teams count victory points. If the winner won by 120 points, then his F/A stat is 120, and the loser's is -120. For and against doesnt affect anything unless both players are tied from win/loss/draw points, and then the player with the best for and against record will seperate the tied players.

Hows that sound, hope it helped.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

We actually discussed something along those lines, but I feel that with 2/3 of the games being objective base, if someone plays for a tie in those instances, with a focus on victory points, they will end up with an unfair advantage over those who have more annihilation games. That may be unavoidable, but I'd like to try.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

But for and against would only be used if players in the top 3 have the same win/lose/draw stats...its not like its that possible to happen, but i suppose you do have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

with 5 entrants, the only confound would be a 3 way tie, let me explain.
Players are 1 2 3 4 5.

1 2 and 3 are tied with 4 being the winner and 5 in last place. If player 1 beat player 3 and player 2 (lost to the others only) then 1 is the obvious second place (Even though each may have identical game stats, if you beat the person you are supposed to be tied with, you are ranked higher).

If 1 beat 2 and
2 beat 3 and
3 beat 1, THEN we have a problem. There is no clear 2nd. The only fair resolution would be victory points 4th Ed. Style. Kill points can be deceptive. I mean its the only other unbiased method of determining how well the game went.

If good records are kept for each game, a logical consensus can be reached easily most often. The case specified above happend at one of my Halo tournaments I had to run, It was a 3 way tie for finals. I went into the details, each was lost by one point, so I went to MVP each had the same kill death, so i went to Second MVP to get a win out of it. Similarly, when doing an objective game, or KP, keep track of the degree of success. If tied 3 ways and one played won his two wins with 10 killpoints ahead per game, while the others won by only a single KP (or objective) the winner again is easily found.

Just be sure to let everyone know the contingencies (if they want, most people don't particularly care).
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the insight Sau1us. It's sounding like victory points are the only real way to go, though degree of victory in other games could work, assuming every game doesn't just tie.