Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick Tournament Vent
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Quick Tournament Vent

Yesterday my local club held a small 40k tournament which, aside from one occurrence, was heaps of fun. Iím proud to say that I ranked 13th overall which sounds impressive until you realize that there were only about twenty participants overall. :P
The unpleasant part happened when I played a man who insisted, without my consent, on stopping the game to take photos and write notes for a battle report. In a game with a time limit. He was also the most antisocial person I have ever encountered, refusing to engage in conversation at all. I could have put up with that (and not just Ďcause I was winning Ė Iím also a lovely person) but for the fact that in the closing minutes of the game the following happened: I was poised to snatch the objective away from him, with his genestealers on the objective reduced to only three and my entire tau army poised to swoop down on them, he began to stall for time. To make a long story short the timer finished and he won. I know Iím sounding like a sore looser here, but he was so unpleasant to play against in his need to both win and not say a single word to me that I really needed to let off steam.
Anyone got similar stories to share, or am I just overreacting?

shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Quick Tournament Vent

I would've said something to the TO and let him know about his antisocial behavior, and the fact that he was blatantly stalling for time at the end of the game to ensure victory. I wouldn't let something like that go, especially if I was paying to play in said tournament.

This kind of thing happens a lot, people just let it slide during the game then go online and make a thread about it on a forum. You need to grow some balls and call these people out during the game while something can still be done about it! :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You're right of course Sid, and I did shoot the TO a pm on the appropriate forum. I guess I just didn't want to say anything cause I always believe you get out of a game what you put in so I was trying to be polite. That didn't work this time though. :huh:
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Time is quite often an issue in tournaments, depending on the army. In my experience, almost any army that is not some form of Space Marine has more trouble playing quickly than one that is. Closer to the topic at hand, at the few tournaments that I have attended, the organizers make it pretty clear that you are expected to play quickly and make every effort to finish as many rounds as possible. I've never had to call an opponent for stalling, although I've been close, but I have had to gently remind some that we are on a schedule. In your situation, I wouldn't have had a problem with the picture-taking, most likely, as long as it was quick shots of the whole battlefield. If somebody really wants to document the battle, set up a tripod and automatic camera, and just click the fire button at the end of every turn. Total elapsed time, maybe 5 minutes including getting the camera aimed and focused! If the guy is obviously stalling, you need to call him on it, particularly if it affects the outcome of the game.

In my first 'Ard Boyz tournament, one of my games was against a slow player, and I was robbed of a victory (was called a draw) because the game went so slowly. I don't believe my opponent was intentionally stalling; I think he was just an idiot! Anyway, for what it's worth, 13th out of 20 isn't bad at all with a Tau army. A little below half is where I end up on a good day, although we'll see if I can do better than that at Adepticon in 2 weeks.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tournaments foul ups, shall I list them chronologically or alphabetically.

Well, it seems the phrase conflict of interest means nothing to TO, as every tournament I partake in features the TO as an entrant. Now when I run Halo Tournaments (happens a lot after people know you have the process down), I would not even think of playing myself as it could be viewed that I am skewing the result in my favor (when in reality I just plain suck at Halo). Now get this, the TO has advnaced access to all army lists being used in the tournament, creates the matchup before the tournament starts, has access to all confidential records kept for scoring purposes. This is a huge advantage.

Now OK they have the ABILITY but they won't do that, right? Well, I at least know that he LOOKED at all the lists as he had already researched all the newest rulings for drop pods and mystics before facing my pod pod heavy army against his mystics in his Inquisition. Would it really be a far stretch to go all the way? Unsurprisingly, I faced him in the final match, but Marine cheese is hard to swallow, and he lost.

Also, if you are familar with WHFB, I was facing ANOTHER TO, who was an entrant, and the rules judge. I charged his count on Griffon with some Executioners, tagetted attacks at the character, and got 2 killing blows for wounds. He ruled though that characters are immune to killing blow, and would not listen to anything I or anyone else said about it. He then said I was being a terrible sport and was a stain on this great hobby. He won that tournament, around 150 cash prize, plus whatever the store was giving him. He also said not to go back to tournaments if I was going to be such a pain, not that I needed to be asked not to come back.

In short, I am VERY reluctant to play in tournaments anymore as the organizers ALWAYS have their hands in it. And this is all assuming the players of the tournament are alright...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 15:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I enjoy tournaments, but that's definitely an example of a bad egg. You should have brought it up with the organizer that he was being disruptive and purposefully stalling the game towards the end. He could get seriously penalized for pulling that klkn.

[hr]

Sau1us, in your second example, you really should have put your foot down. Open the rulebook to the page on Killing Blow and then to the page on characters and ask him to find the rule. Nobody can stand up to obvious RAW that long. The Killing Blow entry pretty obviously describes which kind of models are susceptible to Killing Blow.

And how the hell can a TO really enter a tournament with a cash prize? That's just stupid. He's winning his own prize...
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I did flip my book open, but its pretty easy to say that its been FAQed and trust him hes the judge, it didn't stop a couple other guys there from joining my side, but he pretty much made it out for me to look like the bad guy for making such as fuss to the organizer.

Yea basically the tournament was pay 15$ so you can play on the same tables you play on anyways to support the biased TO charity.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 17:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sau1us, you have a crappy tourney setting. We had tourney's like that for a while, but then the guy's shop burned down. It was actually quite shady, since all his magic cards were in there too. I'm still not sure what happened there, but it wasn't just Tabletop players he'd angerd, he ran card tournaments too. There was proof of an electrical fire, but that was about it.

Not saying you should burn the shop down, by the way.

Anyway, our LGS has a rule; if you orginise the tourney, you can't play in it. This is so that a) you aren't busy when a question needs answering and b) the crap you described doesn't happen. The majority of an orginizer's job is shouting how many minutes are in the round.

As for stalling, we used to have a guy like that. He was old, so at first we just though he was senile. Then we started looking.
1) he measued with rulers and yardsticks, which he kept in his case on the other side of the room. When he wanted to use them, he's go over there, use them, and put them back.
2) He always played "Shoot then run away" armies. This enabled him to shoot at you (measuring each model individualy, with the yardstick), and then drag out combat.
3) He took forever to deploy. out of the 2 hour time limits we have on games, it took him an average of 45 minutes.
4) and here's the kicker and our biggest justification, tournament turnout dropped like a stone. Nobody wanted to play this guy, nobody from town, nobody out of town, nobody from neighboring states. If tourney turnout drops by 50% because of one person, it's time for him to go.

We booted him out of the store when we caught him blatantly cheating, over points by a good 750 points. We gave him all our charges, including the drop in tournament turnout, and asked him not to come back. Surprise surprise, people started showing up after they found out he was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

These are the reasons I don't think I'll ever play in tournies. It just draws too many people who think only about winning. I prefer to keep this game as casual as possible.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tournament Organizers should never be in the same tournament. Neither should the judges.

I find that Sau1us, you have some of the worst Tourney horror stories that I've heard about. I've heard of a lot of cheaters, but nothing so blatant and disgusting as that. The fact that the guy had the audacity to tell you (essentially) not to come back pisses me off.

I might be a hardcore rules lawyer, but there's a reason that I don't partake in tournaments where I set up the fights, get to see the lists, and make the damn rulings when things go bottom up for either player.

*Topic makes Ender rage*
*Ender Smash!*

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote