Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

State your Pet Peeve
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink
Default State your Pet Peeve

I normaly dont start topics, but this one I liked so Ill share it with you. On another forum, 40k online, someone posted a topic "State your hatred", and I came up with 10 things that bother me about the game. Post anything that you* dont like about warhammer; rules, opponents, prices, staff ....

Ok, heres the list I came up with on that forum.

1) Parrot Generals - I dont need 4 different people giving me advice on where to move my raider or what to aim my dark lances at. I paid for and painted my army, if they want to watch and make a few comments, fine. But if they want to play, I suggest they get their own army.

2) Cheaters - Hey, nobody likes them. You dont get a new car if you win, so who cares. Rules lawyering, bad measurements, making up stats and rules, it really takes away from the game and makes the cheater look like a total jerk.

3) Space marines - Anything army clad in power armour with T4 and Bs4 is a space marine, so this encompasses CSM, WH,* DH, and Necrons. They are mostly newb armies, they take less skill to play. I particularly dont like daemon hunters, it seems wrong when your army needs a page in it's codex devoted to explaining why you would actualy fight someone, not to mention most of those reasons are pretty lame.

4) LotR minis - Their stupid little game took away the floorspace that used to belong to DE, the only positive thinkg I can say about that game which is just targeted at little 10 year olds is that occasionaly they get sucked into 40k and fantasy as well.

5) People complaining about prices - Yeah, everyone knows they are high, and keep on rising. What I dont like is people (usualy gamers 16 and under) trying to start a petition on forums, as if that hasnt been done a billion times before. They apparantly dont grasp Pareto's Law, 80% of sales comes from about 20% of the customers. GW raises prices because its TARGET CUSTOMER (people who collect multiple large armies no matter what the price) will still pay, they dont care about young teens who buy a box every 6-8 weeks, get over it.

6) I don't like armies which seem to defy every piece of fluff created. This includes vanilla Eldar with 3 wraithlords, Guardsmen allying with Daemon hunters just to fight some orks, Guard armies with a plasmagun in every squad (cmon, these things are relics and high technology, they don't sell them at your local wall mart)

7) I don't like it when the staff or some of the regulars who seem to think they have special rights try to make up for their pathetic lives by bossing little kids around. I was combing through a WD issue I just bought, and some 14 year old goes up to a staffmember and asks if he can borrow a pen, the staffmember had a mug with about 20 pens in it, and tells the little kid that it isn't his responsibility and makes a huge deal about it. A couple weeks (maybe months) later I see the same staffmember deny a kid the rulebook when the only people in the store was the kid, his friend, me, and the staffmember. The majority of the people at GW are pretty easy to get along with, but gimme a break!

8 ) I hate it when people play with armies that don't have a single painted model. I know, its hard to take the time, I am in college right now and it is extremely difficult to get all my mini's painted quickly. I don't mind if someone bought a new squad a week ago and wants to play it, but when you have 1500 points and not a piece has been painted it really gets on my nerves. Painted armies look FAR better on the battlefield, and it is easier to tell what exactly model represents.

9) Space Marines (yeah, again) - They make up a ton of sales, but every intro game I've seen involves 2 squads of space marines (with at least a flamer and missile launcher) against 2 slightly larger groups of 'nids, orks, or dark eldar. The non-marine army never has any special of heavy weapons, heroes, or anything to give them a shred of a chance. Remember the 40k set for 3rd ed? it came with 20 Dark eldar, which is 180pts if you make them 2 units of 10 with 1 splinter cannon each. The other side got 10 marines (1 missile 1 flamer) and 1 land speeder, thats 216 points. No wonder the younger brother (me) always received the dark eldar just so the marines could have something to play target practice with.

10) People who obnoxiously rules-lawyer - OK, I'm on another forum, and someone posted his list and said he was going to play a battle later that day. Its a good lizardmen list, 2001 points, the final post from another forum member was: "2k is 2k and not 2.001k, back to the blackbord with your list, for 2001 pts in 2k battle is not allowed. " <-- This really made me mad, obviously the army listed isn't going to be used in a tourney or anything, probably just a friendly game or two. Have you ever ditched an opponent because they had 1 or 2 points over the limit? Of course not, and I really doubt the poster has done something like that either, people who try to point out dumb stuff like that to make themselves seem superior or just to kill the fun out of a game really get on my nerves.

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: State your hatred

Hate is a strong word really, but...

People not involved in my game criticizing my deployment, weapon selctions, troops choices...

Two minimized troop choices with 3 ubered elites/heavy/fast attack.

Other than that, not much really.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It is true that a ship is safest in harbor, but that is not why ships are built.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

(1) Space Marines, especially Blood Angels
(2) Chaos Space Marines - the most broken codex in the game
(3) Broken, and overpowered Special characters that dont need opponents permission eg Witch Hunters "blessed Saint"
(4) Power-gamers
(5) People who insist on crisis suit power weapons, Fire Warrior heavy and special weapons, marines that cant be instant killed and any idiotic notions that make absolutely no sense.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'I don't like it when the staff or some of the regulars who seem to think they have special rights try to make up for their pathetic lives by bossing little kids around. I was combing through a WD issue I just bought, and some 14 year old goes up to a staffmember and asks if he can borrow a pen, the staffmember had a mug with about 20 pens in it, and tells the little kid that it isn't his responsibility and makes a huge deal about it. A couple weeks (maybe months) later I see the same staffmember deny a kid the rulebook when the only people in the store was the kid, his friend, me, and the staffmember. The majority of the people at GW are pretty easy to get along with, but gimme a break!'

1) Exactly!. I hate power-tripping staff.

'People who obnoxiously rules-lawyer '

2)Yeh, totally agree with that one also.

3) People who needlessley hate a certain army or force.
4) Fan-boy-ism. People that refuse to listen to reason and think that their army is far more powerful, advanced etc than It actually is just because they like/play that army. I think Tau on this board is a prime example, many people just won't accept things about them because they play them (mentioning no names). I really like Tau fluff and the Tau, but I just can't stand it when people refuse to accept reason on issues because they use them. I look at every army the same and treat issues regarding them objectively, why do some people find this so hard? and then when I do say something against said army (could be any, just using Tau as an example) I get accused of hating on them needlessly and of doing it because im a fanboy of another army. *sigh* I like all of the forces and am saying what I am because its how it is, not because of some misguided love/hate of certain armies.
5)Armies full of min-maxed units.

Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

(1) The Tau player I met whom insists on criticizing every move I make that doesn't directly translate into putting distance between myself and the enemy.

(2) That same Tau player who later asked "why the hell?" I didn't destroy that war-trukk, even though I took his advice, which didn't let me get into a good position to do so.

(3) That same Tau player who criticized my latest conversion / paint job, saying that giving my crisis suit a drone for a head was "disrespectful" to the Tau, and kept asking himself over and over in a very audible tone "Who the F* would do something like that?"

(4) That same Tau player who does nothing but slather Jade Green on his Tau like a 6 year old, and paints his bases cherry red.

(5) That same Tau player who cheats by trying to move his FWarriors out of assault distance by "slyly" shoving them back with his thumb while measuring.

(6) That same Tau player who constantly gives advice, and rants about his cunning plans, when he so rarely wins games, and more often than not due to opponent conceding because they're so damned sick of his stalling and BS, and making things up out of the Tau codex.

(7) That same Tau player who has an intense hatred for me, because everyone in the store thinks I'm a better player than him after only my second game there. Who also hates me because there's someone there to correct all of his "mistakes" in how he plays, and knows the Codex well. Assault 4 burst cannons? Decoy launchers ignoring crew stunned/shaken? Broadsides hit on a 2+ without a marker-light? Nice try, buddy.

(8 ) That Tau player... (He basically gave me the worst WH experience to date, and is utterly shameless. Within the span of only 3 hours, I had nothing but abject hatred for this person.)

(9) Kroot haters. Includes said Tau player above. ^^
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
(5) People who insist on crisis suit power weapons, Fire Warrior heavy and special weapons, marines that cant be instant killed and any idiotic notions that make absolutely no sense.
I agree, Tau have 2 characteristics that really define them. Lack of close combat, and using a single troop (suits) to deploy their special weapons. Give my dark eldar some pulse rifles and I'd be glad to give you a few power weapons.

BTW, I agree hate is a strong word, changed the title.

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem

Space Marines
Prices (Once Tau army is collected I'm done and collecting WarMachine, no angry letters to GW, no Petitions, etc...)
Playing AGAINST Tau (I love my Tau army but I hate playing against Tau, can get boring/annoying/cheap, and yes I know I play the exact same way when I am Tau so I'm a hypocrite, but then again its always fun in the drivers seat.)
Inch Pushers (people that always seem to push an extra halfinch-two inches with their armies.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: State your Pet Peeve

Love your list. covers almost everything nnecessary I will add

11. People who crap on your ideas, on threads they didn't start, just so they can feel superior, look down their nose, and call you a newb! The whole idea of helping new players or people new to a particular army is not to discourage or abuse them. These are the same people who constantly rave about the powers of this over that, when in fact their statements are just parroting from other posters who may have been applying the wisdom to specific instances.

Help means guide, not riddiridicule|_Wanax
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

People who rant/complain about Space Marines but who have never played, never will play that army. *Doubly so those who say they take less skill to play. *might be one of the easiest to learn on but to be good with Marines you really do have to know what your doing. *Same goes for most other 3+ Armour Save armies if Necrons take so much less skill to play why is it I have never lossed a game to them? *The biggest problem with the CSM codex I have is the rules for Deamon prince upgrade. *Unless your on top of it some of the rules are to easy to forget.

Complaints about the prices to me too. *One, nothing says you have to get the GW models. *two, you only really need to use the rules unless you planning on competing. *Also if you don't like the current rules nothing says you ahve to use them so long as your opponent agrees. *You can hike right back to Rogue Trader if you want and GW isn't going to send someone to come break your knees.

Goes for painting and complaints aobut store painting policies. *Look, it's a game that involves painting. *The store is private property so they have the right to enforce rules about what goes on on thier property. *If you don't want to paint them again nothing is stoppingyou unless you want to play competativly from playing in your own home. *If you still want to play cometativly you either have to paint or you should get into a game like Mage-Knight or Hero-clix.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whoo-Hoo! A 40K Mini-rank section!

People who "fudge" that extra inch and a half saying that it is close enough... >
That is my #1! It is also the most annoying!
  • People who claim Tyranids are too strong...*Bah*
  • People who claim Tau "suck"...again *Bah*
  • People who don't know the rules and make them up!
  • Cheaters
  • People who have no respect for their models (broken parts, crappy paintjobs [unless the person canont paint])
  • GW Employees who think they are gods of Warhammer...
  • People who dance while playing (quite annoying!)
  • People who don't shut up about how the battle could have ended differently...
  • People who rant...
Closed Thread