Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k: Proud of It or Secret Life?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie
Default 40k: Proud of It or Secret Life?

I was wondering: i play 40k, and i have a lot of friends who, well, dont. Im not sure what they would say if they found out...

I know that might sound self centered or somthing bad, I was wondering what others thought and did.

Thanks,
-Eddie
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 40k: Proud of It or Secret Life?

Proud, for sure. If someone makes something out of it, I just smile and shrug. Everyone has a hobby, and they all cost money.

Infact, if you think about it, playing 40k is cheaper then alot hobbies. Clubbing - expensive and unmemorable. Football - depending on the team, very expensive to watch a (IMHO) very repeatative game. And it's not like wargamers haven't got a social life either - we might not be getting drunk out of our heads and smashing up bus stops, but we're still having fun with likeminded people (for the most part).

What's there to be ashamed about? It takes talent to even try to get into a hobby like this - something to be proud of. Ignore those narrow minded people who laugh at you about it - they are just jealous that they aren't smart enough to understand or rich enough to take part.

~Andromidius
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie

thanks. I never thought of it that way
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Proud of it!

I've been wargaming for the last 21 years. I have no problem telling people what I do in my spare time. Most think it's kinda cool. Don't worry about what your "friends" might think. It's your life. Have fun with it!

~ fearlessgod ~
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
.* Clubbing - expensive and unmemorable.*
Quite true. Pubs, on the other hand.....

Quote:
Football - depending on the team, very expensive to watch a (IMHO) very repeatative game. *
Foorball can be brilliant to watch, and i am not an incredible fan of the game...
I prefer rugby.

Quote:
we might not be getting drunk out of our heads and smashing up bus stops,
Sigh. you've never been to a Con, have you?
WARPCon, a few years ago: in one night, all the gamers drank the entire rag week supply of vodka. COllege students should know what rag week is all about. In a nutshell, drinking all day. for 7 days. and killing your liver.

Quote:
Proud, for sure. *If someone makes something out of it, I just smile and shrug. *Everyone has a hobby, and they all cost money.
What's there to be ashamed about? *It takes talent to even try to get into a hobby like this - something to be proud of. *Ignore those narrow minded people who laugh at you about it - they are just jealous that they aren't smart enough to understand or rich enough to take part.
Mostly true.

I would tell my friends, as they tend to be gamers. they make fun of it in a nice way. TO new people, i won't go on about it, as generally its a niche hobby, and a lot of them wont know about it, or wont be interested in it though. If i get to know them better, id tell them for sure, if i like them.

Its my hobby. i enjoy it. i spend money on it. i spend time on it. I enjoy the results. If people accept that i like it, its great. If they like what my rune priest that took me 5 hours to paint looks like, all the better. And most do like it. which is great for me, that what i do can be appreciated by others who do, or dont play the game.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't get me wrong, I don't broadcast it. I just won't lie about playing if someone asks me. If they want to know about it, I tell them. If they laugh at me carrying my box of models around, I ignore them. As long as they don't try to touch them, I don't care. Let them laugh as they drive past in their old Novas with mis-matching bodykits and huge mufflers - I can laugh back just as cruely.

~Andromidius
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Biovore Send a message via MSN to Biovore

Proud of it. I don't care if they mock me, they'll just get a fistful of butt-whup.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I get teased and annoyed about warhammer :'(. I wont lie if someone asks me but I wont just tell anyone. I only talk about warhammer to my friends not to anyone else.

HL34
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You shouldn't let it get to you. It's your hobby, your choice - don't let people bully you out of it. The fact that they bully you proves they have less going on in their lives then you, so pity them. They'll eventually grow up (or have their souls sucked out by the penal system - one or the other).

~Andromidius
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

I'm not ashamed of what I do. I'm not gonna spend hundreds of dollars, and countless hours on some kind of dumb secret life. Most of my friends have been t omy local gamestore at some point or another. I've made it a priorty t odrag each and every one of them there tosee what I do. Some of them play now, some don't. If anybody makes a big deal about, I'd tell them to "fudge off". But, I can't recall ever needing to do that.