Warhammer 40K Forum

Issue about "hovering" units...
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jul 2005, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Issue about "hovering" units...

I was playing at GW yesterday and this is what basically happened:

I landed my stealthsuits down in an area which wasn't exactly "good" through deep strike. After I did that, I tried to "tank shock" the unit that woulda wiped em out (storm troopers) next turn. He took the tank shock and one of his guys passed the leadership, failed destroying my Hammerhead with a multi-melta, had his guy die, and moved out of the way. THEN, on his turn, he said he could walk under my tank to get to my guys thereafter. I was thinking to myself "What the ****" based on all the fish of fury and 1" around stuff. THe GW employee, not to discredit him there if he was wrong or not, said it was okay since if I could shoot under it with my stealthsuits I never landed it so he can run under and assault my guys after and/or run behind my vehicle and shoot it in the back.

Can anyone show me any specific errata or what to look up in the book at all to prove him wrong if he is wrong by any chance? If he is right through then I guess its my bad.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 08 Jul 2005, 23:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Rain Send a message via MSN to Rain
Default Re: Issue about "hovering" units...

You can't run underneath skimmers, only shoot underneath them. You can jump OVER them with jumppacks n whatnot. I'm almost positive you can't run underneath skimmers

He doesn't mourn, he doesn't cry
All he does from Dusk till Dawn
Is make the angels die
Old 08 Jul 2005, 23:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Read pg 15 of the 4th edition rulebook. Doesn't specify skimmers, but nowhere does it say this rule ignores skimmers. Pg 20 does specify line of sight and skimmers. Read both pages, then show em to your opponent next time ya play.
Old 08 Jul 2005, 23:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

It is illegal to be within 1" of an enemy model unless you are in close combat. This is how guardsmen get destroyed bailing out of Chimeras, and how deep striking units get wiped out when they teleport into the middle of enemy units.

You cannot walk underneath vehicles, and as far as I recall you cannot move over enemy troop.

Old 09 Jul 2005, 08:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to IDontPlayTau

in the movement phase you cannot be w/in 1" of an enemy. this does not stop anybody from moving w/in 1" of the edge of your skimmer and then assaulting 6" underneath it to get the guys below.
Old 09 Jul 2005, 13:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontPlayTau
in the movement phase you cannot be w/in 1" of an enemy. this does not stop anybody from moving w/in 1" of the edge of your skimmer and then assaulting 6" underneath it to get the guys below.
Totally wrong. You cannot move through vehicles in the assault. You have to go around.

Everyone else in the thread - here is something you can do with skimmers in 4th edition.

See a squad marching through difficult terrain? You can cut them off with a devilfish by declaring you don't wish to interact with the terrain below, and skim above the terrain feature. They still have to give way and take the long away around, making difficult terrain checks all the way.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 09 Jul 2005, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heh - people really don't like the 1" rule, especially when Deep Striking. In my last game, my opponant struke a unit of Terminators in, but was really close to my units - barely managing to place his first model. He then made a fuss when I said he had to put all his Terminators under the Blast template in a circle - my units and terrain stopped him doing that. But he continued to fuss about it, refusing to admit I was right. So I gave in and let him - so he didn't lose two Terminators to a bad Deep Strike.

Oh well.

~Andromidius
Old 09 Jul 2005, 18:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to IDontPlayTau

you don't use the blast template to deep strike anymore. you place one model and then make concentric circles around it. it doesn't matter how big the squad is.

ok i've found a solution to this:

the assault section says that "you may not move models within 1" of enemy models from enemy models from any unit they are not charging." so...declare another combat. have one model assault the tank, and then the rest can go safely underneath to assault the models below. hooray!
Old 09 Jul 2005, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

no, you declare a charge against one target and move all models the shortest distance possible to that target.

You can charge a second unit only if you could contact it that way.

I could be wrong since I don't have alot of CC encounters with my Tau but thats the way I understand it.
Old 09 Jul 2005, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontPlayTau
you don't use the blast template to deep strike anymore.* you place one model and then make concentric circles around it.* it doesn't matter how big the squad is.
True, but you still need to make circles - which he couldn't do because my men were blocking the way. He whined though, so I let him.

Not like I could stop even one of them anyway.

~Andromidius
Closed Thread