Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Moving abroad; taking an existing army or collecting a new one?
View Poll Results: When I move abroad from England to Japan, should I take an existing army with me or purchase a whole
Take an existing army (likely Chaos Daemons) 6 40.00%
Purchase a new army (likely Tyranids) 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Moving abroad; taking an existing army or collecting a new one?

So, as some people may know, I'm planning on moving from England to Japan in January of next year; I'm lining myself up a job to teach English in an Eikaiwa. It'll be a big thing for me as it'll be my first (permanent) full-time job, the first time I'll be moving out of my parents' house (with no intention to return, unlike going to University), and I'll finally be able to have a proper relationship with my girlfriend who has been waiting patiently for me out there for almost two years.

So, as you can imagine, moving to a foreign country with a completely different culture means that I'll need something to take my mind off of it from time to time and relax. With that in mind, I intend to continue my Games Workshop hobby. However, I am painfully aware of the costs of international shipping and realise that I'll not be able to continue it in any manner similar to that I do now (which involves collecting around 70% of the 40k armies available and around 50% of WFB ones).

My initial plan was to pick a single army and dedicate myself to only collect that one army whilst I was out there. Considering that I hate painting, having only a single army to hand may well focus me and I might actually get it painted if I've got nothing else to do. It also means that all I need to take with me are a rulebook and Codex. The army I had planned to do this with was Tyranids. I'd planned this almost a year ago, well before the rumours of the next Codex out being Tyranids had emerged. Got the Codex and an idea for an army and I was all set to do this. I even managed to pick up a couple of models at rock bottom prices that I figured I could take with me as they'd not weigh too much.

However, my current army is Chaos Daemons and I'm very much getting into the mood with them. Ever since they came out, I've been playing with them, having had a nominal Daemon army for over a decade now but using the latest release as an excuse to pull everything together and really go to town on it. I'm fairly enthusiastic for my Daemons and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I may want to take them with me to use instead of collecting a whole new army.

I do intend to return to England some day, though likely not for at least two years.

I'm looking for advice on this subject, and would be grateful for any advice people can offer me. It would probably be a good idea for me to list my reasons for wanting to pick each individual option.

Tyranids (purchasing new army)
  • New army: I've never played Tyranids before and I reckoned that purchasing a completely new army, as opposed to one that I already collected here in England, would be a good idea,
  • Visual appeal: Tyranids have been one of those armies that have always appealed to me, and it's a wonder I've never tried them before now. The thought of sending a horde of alien monsters across a battlefield is a very appealing one,
  • Modelling opportunities: I'm considering modelling these Tyranids as Aliens, in a similar manner to those seen here, which holds a great deal of interest to me to do so, as I significantly enjoy modelling (certainly a lot more so than painting),
  • Playing style: for a long time, my primary method of play could be described as methodical in so much as I play very calculatingly and tend to think things though. Also, my manner of army construction could be considered quite balanced; I'd often have a good portion of the army able to shoot well and a good portion of the army able to assault well. To me, a Tyranid army allows me to have a break from this and play a little looser than I have previously done; having borrowed my friend's Tyranid army a couple of years ago to play a game with, I found it exceptionally exhilarating to play like this, yet have been unable to do it with any other army since,
  • New Codex: admittedly, this is a newer thing, but it's always fun to have a nice, new codex and the army that goes with it. With the codex's release in January, it would be perfect timing for me to start a new Tyranid army at the same time.

Chaos Daemons (bringing old army with me)
  • Existing work done: I wouldn't be starting up an army from scratch. A great deal of my assembling, and even a small amount of painting, is already done,
  • Enjoyment: I already enjoy using my Chaos Daemons whilst the degree of enjoyment to be gotten from Tyranids is a mostly unknown factor,
  • Forgeworld: recently, I considered making a large Forgeworld order for my Daemons though I put it off since I needed to save up for my upcoming trip. However, I'm still interested in buying those models and Forgeworld offers free delivery for orders over £250, which is close to the amount I wanted to order, so acquiring said models would still be a possibility.

Regardless of what I want to do, it'll be expensive, either from purchasing a new army from scratch or for shipping an existing army from England, but I know this and accept this. Likewise, I'm going to have to purchase a new set of modelling tools and paints but, again, that's something I've accepted.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Moving abroad; taking an existing army or collecting a new one?

Well are yuo planning to return to England eventually or not?

If you are plannnig ot return, I would be incline to say to start a new one and when yuo will return your Chaos will be waiting fro you in storage.

Otherwise if it's premanet I would say bring your Chaos and improve on it.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am planning on returning to England, but it wouldn't likely be for at least 2 years, if not longer. I've edited that information into the original post.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
I am planning on returning to England, but it wouldn't likely be for at least 2 years, if not longer. I've edited that information into the original post.
So we shall follow similar path, i,m Canadian and spent 3 year in South Korea.

For me, back then it wasn't WH40K but RPGs that I was doing -still am too. While I was in South Korea, I got hooked on the old Earthdawn RPG and started buying books and playing online and when i returns I added it to my collection of then AD&D, Shadowrun and WEG Star Wars.

So In that case I would say to start up a new army maybe 750-1500 points that you would be able to bring back ot England after your Stay in Japan.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2009, 05:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

New beginnings = new army. Plus I lost my Tyranid army in a move, and that still hurts.

PS: Earthdawn is awesome.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2009, 09:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

To begin with I Voted for you to take your army, it would be nice for you to bring them, and work on them etc, especially if your really getting into them.

But then I read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
New beginnings = new army.
And it sort of, in a very simple way, made a lot of sense. And when you did return back to England, you could bring back the new army, to meet your loving Daemons....
You might be influenced by something you see while abroad, and it could add a great feel to the new army too.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2009, 10:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that starting a new army is a good idea.
Besides when you are at home with noone to battle you can always assemble and paint, your giving yourself a hobby (this may exhist with daemons but on a smaller scale)
On another note, japan is birthplace of godzilla, you are culturally inclined to play nids ;D