Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Most Broken Unit in 40k?
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jun 2005, 23:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Most Broken Unit in 40k?

What do you all think is the most broken unit in the game (either in the TOO powerful sense or the NOT powerful at all and should be removed from the game or fixed sense)?

My vote goes to the Wraithlord. Even a Landraider, the baddest, nastiest vehicle in 40k (that you don't need permission to field, of course) can be killed in one shot. Can the Wraithlord? Nope. Nor can it be insta-killed at all, as there is no S16 weapon that exists. 3 wounds? What? *grumble* I've had bad experiences lately.

Any other broken units?
Old 01 Jul 2005, 00:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Most Broken Unit in 40k?

I agree completely!

and what makes them worse on top of all you have said is.. they cost 75 points!!

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 01 Jul 2005, 01:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But remember - they are very slow and only carry a single heavy weapon. At worst, you'll lose maybe 2-3 marines a turn to a Star Cannon. Big deal. Just focus 2 or 3 Lascannons on it for a few turns, and it's gone. Wounding on a 3+, no armour or inv. save, and very unlikely to have a cover save. No sweat.

Andromidius

(S9 v sT8, thats a 3+ - H)
Old 01 Jul 2005, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Dude, I don't see how you have problems. I can usually kill it in like one or two turns... Then again, I play Tau, so my basic mans can actually hurt it.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mark of Slaanesh Daemon Prince with 7 or 8 'minor psychic power'.

Because then they get siren. And with siren, they then drop daemon bombs on you and you have no way to stop them.

Obliterators are pretty bad too, terminator armour with whichever heavy weapon they want at the moment. Broken more for the fact that they're a no-brainer in an army list, you don't need to plan anything, cause your obliterators will have whichever tool they need at the moment.

Eldar: I don't think normal wraithlords are a big deal. They're fire magnets, but they're slow. They don't get a lot of attacks in close combat and a hidden power fist can drop them pretty fast. Harlequin wraithlords are worse, as they always have a 4+ cover save too, so things like lascannons can't deal that much.

Personally I think that a warwalker squadron with all starcannons is much worse than a wraithlord. Move 6 inches and fire 18 Str 6, AP 2 shots up to 36 more inches. Drop a farseer with guide near them and you're looking at 14 hits from that unit, which will, on average, drop 10 models from any squad in the game.

The C'Tan would be broken if they weren't in the Necron army. As it is though, the predominant strategy for dealing with C'Tan is ignore them and phase out the necrons. Same goes for Monoliths.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 03:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Blood Letters are pretty bad. 3+ armour save, 3 strength 5 power weapons attacks each, 5+ invunerable save, summoning (which I consider more of an advantage), toughness 4, I 4, Ws 4 - pretty darn insane for 26 point each

Arco-flagellants are pretty darn bad. D6 strength 4 attacks, toughness 5, 4+ invunerable save, move D6 inchs. Yes they can die on a 6. But I've seen some of the best units in the game shredded by 3 of these guys (ork ard boyz, space marine terminators, possessed everything). Random, but far to destructive as far as I'm concerned
" I see destruction...death...darkness...the doom of all that was created by the ancients. Doom awaits us all by the hand's of those who feasted upon the star's when we were nothing, and so they shall when we are nothing. That is the future I see...and I fear...because the last brother, I know that it has seen this grim future as well"

- Farseer El'Ueli, Proclaiming the presence of the last C'tan, The Watcher

"And all shall be ashes, dust and death within his sight"
Old 01 Jul 2005, 04:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fully kitted out foot slogging Hive Tyrant with 3 Tyrant Guards.

Good luck.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 04:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Most Broken Unit is clearly Obliterators. One minute they have lascannons, and chew through your hammerhead, the next they womp your fire warriors with power weapons. And on top of that, they have a 2+/5+inv save. that's just wrong.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 04:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Allmost everything SM is broken, especialy blood and dark(dork) angels.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 04:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson88
Most Broken Unit is clearly Obliterators. One minute they have lascannons, and chew through your hammerhead, the next they womp your fire warriors with power weapons. And on top of that, they have a 2+/5+inv save. that's just wrong.
They only go D something a turn, they're slow as hell.

Just use your jet pack units to jump in and out from behin LOS blocking cover while shooting him.
Closed Thread