Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General Questions
Old 11 Oct 2009, 10:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default General Questions

Can a skimmer tank shock in the same way as a normal tank?
A) Does every unit in it's movement path get affected?
B) Or is the only unit affect, the unit where the skimmer lands?
C)Something else?

When a Tau Pathfinder Devilfish allows a unit within line of sight to re-roll it's deep strike scatter, where is the 'line of sight' measured from??
A) Does any part of the tank hull count? (including the access hatch in the rear, or the nose of the devilfish where the burst cannon sits?)
B) Is line of sight determined from the center of the vehicle?
C) Something else?

My Tau friend believes in both cases, that "A" is the correct answer. I feel that the correct answer is "B" since "A" to me seems rather odd...in case 1, i can see fast skimmers simply doing 'tank shocks' in the enemy back lines to force a Ld and make them fall back.

I'd imagine that would be horrible to Guard who camp in the back lines if a skimmer coudl simply come from the side moving 24" flat out and forces a dozen guard units to take morale checks in it's path. That just doesnt sound right I would imagine skimmers always 'FLY' over other models.

And in case 2, how could line of sight be measured from ANY part of the tank?? We had a situation where only the nose of the devilfish was anywhere in line of sight of his deep striking Crisis Suits. I argued that the 'nose' of the vehicle made no sense simply because it's part of the hull, by that same argument if the only thing u could draw a line of sight to was barely the back of the devilfish, you'd still get a re-roll.

In the entry the point of origin is not specified, so i'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered this issue and what solution was commonly agreed upon or if anyone knows something i dont know of yet in regards to both of these questions
Old 11 Oct 2009, 11:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: General Questions

I believe that according to the RAW the correct answers to both questions are A)

Do not think about realism, this is a game and it has certain rules to simplify things.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 11:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Skimmers tank shock just like regular tanks do.

And Hull measurements are any part of the hull, but not bits coming off the hull like the guns.

Skimmers like tanks when using tank shock do hit everything in their path up to their maximum movement. So if 24 inches places 3 squads in their path thats 3 tank shocks.

Also memory serves a tank shocked unit that runs away doesn't run to the table edge, it runs away from the vehicle in which ever direction it can legally do so.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 12:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
Also memory serves a tank shocked unit that runs away doesn't run to the table edge, it runs away from the vehicle in which ever direction it can legally do so.
If you tank shock 3 units (none of them attempting Death of Glory) and go through 2 of them completely, with no vehicle part even touching them when you finish the move, then if the 2 units pass their Morale checks, I believe they do not have to move at all. Only the third unit, which ends under the vehicle, has to move out of the way, given that that it passes the Morale check too.

Now, if any of those 3 units fails the Morale check, that unit has to immediately fall back.

Old 11 Oct 2009, 13:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

But keep in mind, that not every skimmer can tank shock.

In the case of the Tau, your friend could tank shock with the devilfish, the hammerhead and the skyray since they all have the vehicule designation: tank .

Piranha and Tetra are not allowed to tank shock.

Aside from that yeah, A is the right answer in both case, if you exclude the bits as mentionned by hijiriOni for hull mesurement.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 20:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

dat just makes no sense but fair enough and tanks for pointing out that only those with 'tank' designation can tank shock

and what was that bit about 'when u fall back u fall back in any direction' rather than falling back normally?

I dont recall there beign something about falling back in any direction??

If you are sitting at the edge of the table and u get tank shocked then u'd fail and fall back off the board = die.

What specifies this as being diff?
Old 11 Oct 2009, 21:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think there was a little confusion.

The tank shocked unit rolls for Morale. If the test is passed (and Death or Glory is not attempted), they just move out of the way, should the vehicle end up on them, and they move so for the shortest possible distance to get away from the vehicle, while maintaining coherency. This may mean moving away from their table edge. Remember, the unit is not falling back!

If the test is failed, the unit falls back normally, i.e. towards their own table edge.

Old 11 Oct 2009, 23:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I can't remember if there we're different rules for different situations but I remember the rules regarding falling back as "Away from the enemy causing the fall back" allowing any direction, not just "Towards your table edge" But your units have to maintain their current formation and be able to complete the movement without hitting enemy units, impassable, or what have you.

So if a tank comes off your table edge into your units causing fall back...well they can't logically fall back "into" the tank so they'd have to choose another direction to fall back into.

I believe this got changed because somebody got super miffed that a single grot behind his group of 9 terminators (10 originally but losing 1 and failing morale and not getting a single wound against whatever) causes a group of 9 terminators to die during their fall back?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
I can't remember if there we're different rules for different situations but I remember the rules regarding falling back as "Away from the enemy causing the fall back" allowing any direction, not just "Towards your table edge" But your units have to maintain their current formation and be able to complete the movement without hitting enemy units, impassable, or what have you.
Actually, you remember it wrong, or maybe it was different in previous editions.

BRB, page 45, 4th paragraph, clearly says that you fall back directly towards your own table edge, by the shourtest route possible.

EDIT: Also, HirijiOni, concerning your example, why on Earth would a group of 10 Terminators, losing 1, have to even test for Morale?

Old 12 Oct 2009, 20:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Failing an assault, they lose assault by 1, they still test.