Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

AoBR rulebook vs real one
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default AoBR rulebook vs real one

Hi there. My gaming group and I all purchased the mini rulebook for the Assault on Black Reach set via Ebay, thinking that it contained everything we needed. But someone mentioned to us that both Combat patrol and Campaign options and other "game modes" were left out of the mini rulebook.

Is this true? Because especially the Kill-team and Campaign options sounded cool, so might have to get my hands on a real 5th edition book if that is the case...
gorlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: AoBR rulebook vs real one

Well Combat Patrols do not exist in the 5th edition rules, i think they are from 4th edition. Also, the campaign rules aren't that useful, more like guidelines. The true value of the full book are the neat pictures and the extra background that it provides
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yep, the big book is just the small book but bigger print, tons of pictures, and about 50-70 pages of background information on the races/armies of 40k. Most of the campaigns are stuff people made up that caught on, the campaign that the writers at GW write about is just a minor guideline for which to add on to. The best part about the campaign is the creative aspect you add to it when setting it up or even setting random events/disasters/ suprise attacks for the players.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Kill-team can only be found in the hardcover 4th edition rulebook. Same goes for Combat Patrol.

Campaigns are covered in the hardcovers of both 4th and 5th editions.

The AoBR rulebook will supply you with all the rules you need to play but you will miss out on the bonus fluff, missions, campaigns, hobby tips, etc. They're hardly necessary but it is nice info to have.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As always, an answer usually leads to more questions

Why did they remove Kill Teams and Combat Patrol in 5th? From my limited experience it doesn't seem that the rules changed that much in the conversion.

And while the fluff certainly is nice, I can get most of that from the various boards and wiki's so don't think I'll be forking out 40 for 60 pages of fluff that I know most of

But the Campaign information sounds nice, so perhaps I'll try to scavenge ebay for a book...
Old 03 Oct 2009, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The rules did not change much and Combat Patrol and Kill-Team are still very much compatible with 5th, GW just decided to not include the rules in the hardback rulebook.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 07:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I suspect the removal of kill teams and combat patrols is to get newer players to shell out more currency to meet minimum force requirements for gameplay.

Kill team and Combat Patrol are both low points game settings, requiring minimal models to enjoy.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 08:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I think you hit the nail on the head there. They removed the rules to sell more models, simply put.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 09:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you do want the kill team rules, you can purchase the 4th ed. rulebook very cheap. My friend bought it at games day for 1!
Old 03 Oct 2009, 12:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well if they removed Kill Team and Combat patrol I'll surely be getting the 4th edition book.

Have there been made any changes to the way Campaigns are described in the new edition? (I understand you can't tell me what changes have been made, but a simple "the same" or "the new ones are much better" should be fine )

Cheers

Gorlak