Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how to beat lame chaos armies
Old 07 Sep 2009, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default how to beat lame chaos armies

Ok so one of my friends started playing chaos and enjoys the idea of using a lash prince and obliterators, at this point he only has 1 prince and 2 obliterators but i can see this going to hell very fast. we aren't very competitive so i don't really care about loosing but i enjoy wining. Were good friends so i don't want to tell him that he cant use it or i wont play him so i was wondering if there are any good ways to beat a list like that. I play Eldar, Imperial Guard, and soon Tyranids.
commanderbrightsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 05:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: how to beat lame chaos armies

Couple ways, however the double lash list is a tournament winning list (4 of the top 10 winners tournament lists I saw were chaos with at least 1 lash, but most had 2)

Lash can't affect vehicles, it also cannot affect any model that the prince does not have LoS too.

Tyranid and guard have some grand advantages for beating a list like this.
Nids field LOTS of units, lots of small units means he can only lash 1 of them and a horde army of bugs really doesnt care about that small group being lashed.

Guard can horde or mech up, they have loads of anti space marine weapons, and for the first turn or 2 should be out of lashes range.

Eldar you'd have to ask someone else on, I'm only vaguely familiar with them. I do know if you field bikes though lash can annihilate them because it can force them to take dangerous terrain checks.
If Eldar have something at Ld10 that can counter psychic powers thats your best bet, as most of those things are "Once per power" and not "Once per turn"
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You play both Eldar and Nids, you have 2 items that will be brilliant against lash.... Shadow In The Warp for the nids, and Runes of warding for the eldar. They will prevent casting (and in Runes case, cause wounds).

Also things like psychic choirs (Ld dropping powers, psychic scream and the IG psyker one) will help huge. And as previously said, Mechanised denies lash (though obliterators get rid of transports prety easily).
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Runes of Warding give the Eldar farseer (for a few points, not a huge amount though) the ability to cause him to have to roll 3 dice instead of 2 to make a psychic power work. That is HUGE as it also improves the chances of him getting two 1s or two 6s. His almighty cheese lash will only work less than half the time (the average 3d6 roll is 10.5) and his chance of a 'perils' check is increased 150%. I just tell Slaanesh players beforehand (as well as my completely right minded rundown on 'broken' or 'cheese' units) and they don't bother to waste the points on it. Barring that, I refuse to let filthy Slaanesh people touch my models, which irritates the piss out of them, just like lash irritates the piss out of everyone else. Sure if you want to use it, a-hole, go right ahead, but I'm not going to make the game any fun for him any more than he is to me by using that gimpy broken power that was probably a result of the design team being high and not thinking straight.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Runes of warding makes the enemy cast psychic powers on 3D6 and take a perils of the warp attack on any roll of 12 or higher instead of the usual double 1's and double 6's.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Guitardian, its 3D6, and triple 1s doesn't cause a perils. Its only on a 12 or 2 that a perils occurs. Runes of warding however says that perils occurs on a 12+ in this case...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

right... sorry... that's even better. (I haven't used it in a long time)
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 14:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I believe in the case of double 1s despite taking perils the power still goes off (at least it did in third)

Shadow of the Warp can get nasty.

Another one rarely considered is the anti-psyker assassin Calidus? I think. It has abilities to move through enemy units if doing so would put it in base with a psyker, it also reduces their Ld for taking psychic checks thus increasing the odds of failing, and some other fun stuff. IG can use them too so if your feelin like trying something different it's a good one.

(Fun ,useless to this discussion, fact about this assassin he is insanely powerful against nids as anything with the "Synapse Creature" trait is a psychic)

Another really neat one for IG is certain Grey Knights units have access to something that makes them un-targetable by psychic attacks/abilities. I'm very hazy on this one though, it might only apply to daemons (allthough I count lash RAW might not as the book is about 5 years older then lash)
Old 08 Sep 2009, 14:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Imperial guard can also take an allied (Ld 10) inquisitor lord with a psychic hood with unlimited range. That will prevent about 43% of his otherwise successful lashes from going off. Hydra batteries would also wreck daemon princes, though your best bet is to kill the obliterators so that he cannot do much useful with his lash.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 15:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

If you're having trouble with lash, don't just start shouting cheese.

Mechanization is the key. Tau and Eldar can both do this very well (and, really, should be doing this for most of the competitive builds). Both of these races can also throw out enough S5/S6 shooting to take out a daemon prince without trouble. Nids might be a bit tougher, but a dakka fex or two can take out a daemon prince (remember, they've only got a 3+ save to fall back on... they're not invincible, and with the MoS their toughness and invulnerable save aren't increased in the least). Imperial guard... if you can't point out a single target and say "that dies" at least once per turn, you don't have nearly enough guns on the table. ;D

Honestly, I've never had trouble with lash. Besides the options mentioned, a psychic hood will often shut lash down (guard can ally a grey knight brother captain with a psychic hood and psycannon for just over a hundred points, much less without the psycannon). Even if lash gets through (quite easy with the daemon's pavane, but that's not quite as big of an issue), if all your troops are in transports, it's not like he can do anything to them. If you're that worried about lash, just throw any fire you have at the daemon prince until he drops.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote