Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blatant cheating and etiquette
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to shortgoth Send a message via Yahoo to shortgoth
Default Blatant cheating and etiquette

Hi, I've been away for a bit and not posted, but I'm back and with a question of etiquette.

With much less spare time than I used to, I don't have time to play often, so I've taken to using Vassal since it requires virtually no set-up time, no travelling, packing/unpacking minis, etc.

Sometimes, however, I just watch other people's games. And I see a disturbing amount of outright cheating going on.

As as example, I watched a game for a few minutes the other day with SoB (one of my fave armies) vs Necrons. The SoB player had taken Demonhosts from the DH codex randomly (and illegally), and had told the Necron player that he hit and wounded SoBs on 4s with his Warriors rather than 3s as it should be.

I expect if I'd watched a bit longer, I would've seen some more dodgy play.

So the question is: Should a spectator, a random stranger such as myself, draw attention to this? Call him on it publicly? Or privately? Or just have a quiet word in private with the player that's being cheated?
shortgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:44   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Blatant cheating and etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgoth
Hi, I've been away for a bit and not posted, but I'm back and with a question of etiquette.

With much less spare time than I used to, I don't have time to play often, so I've taken to using Vassal since it requires virtually no set-up time, no travelling, packing/unpacking minis, etc.

Sometimes, however, I just watch other people's games. And I see a disturbing amount of outright cheating going on.

As as example, I watched a game for a few minutes the other day with SoB (one of my fave armies) vs Necrons. The SoB player had taken Demonhosts from the DH codex randomly (and illegally), and had told the Necron player that he hit and wounded SoBs on 4s with his Warriors rather than 3s as it should be.

I expect if I'd watched a bit longer, I would've seen some more dodgy play.

So the question is: Should a spectator, a random stranger such as myself, draw attention to this? Call him on it publicly? Or privately? Or just have a quiet word in private with the player that's being cheated?
I don't know about Vassal, but at your LGS, if you see someone playing wrong, don't outright accuse them of cheating, act like you're interested in the game and ask the WS stats of each units, and then just be like "Shouldn't he hit on 3's?". Just simply pointing these things out will prevent it/correct it, and not being accusation about it makes sure noone gets mad
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

It depends on the player tbh.

Gentle reminders in the manner PNW suggested work most of the time, but notorious cheaters need to be put in their place with a firm and unyielding rulebook to their face.

I do not hesitate to call cheaters out when they do it often. If it's blatant (grossly wrong weapon stats/abilities/shady tactics) I generally treat tghe person as a Type 2 if my continued observation shows multiple infractions popping up.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

I was watching a game of Dark Eldar against marines. It was dreadful. The dark eldar player had 4 dark lances in each of his infantry squads (when they can only have 2) and he claimed that his Raider transports had 3 dark lances (thats actually ravagers, which cost more) so he was shooting something ridiculous like 24 S8 AP2 lance weapons a turn.

Anyways if im looking at a game, and i see something wrong, especially if i know the team like orks or Tau. But i play in games workshops, and while the staff arent referees, they are always glancing, and are willing to answer any question to avoid confusion. I was against a marine player with my orks, and the staff member told my opponent he could only have 1 assault cannon terminator in his 5 man squad, and i wouldve let him take it coz i didnt know. But if its blatent, the least you can do is politely tell them that somethings up. I mean, once someone was using marines as guard allies so hed have enough points to play, and ppl were constantly saying that imperial guard cant have this make up of a tactical squad as allies unless their demon hunters or what not and i just had to say that im his opponent, and i said he can use them coz otherwise he wouldnt have enough points.

Anyways i spose it depends on the game and if the other player knows that its happening. If both ppl know then its fine not to say nethying otherwise id probs just let them know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Dont be forceful at first. Be nice about it.

I was having a casual game with a dude, and at the end when we were counting objectives we said i had 2 and he had 3, and apparently i had 1 because my unit was exactly 3 inches away from 1 of the objectives. (and my opponent said i had it even before i did!)

Me and the other guy didnt care, we were like hey its fine, hes in range, and the random guy tried to force it and other things on us. Pissed me off.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Maneki_Neko

Sadly, I believe that without a fair grasp of the rules, newbies are always going to be vulnerable to foul play. :-[

Perhaps it's best to introduce them to gaming at clubs, where there are always a few impartial spectators to keep an eye on things, rather than in private games where they are at the mercy of their more knowledgeable opponents.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 13:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

At my LGS there was always people ready to help if need be.

Though often people can't get to clubs so they use vassal where a lot of people try and cheat as you can't see each other or their codex. Thankfully I have an AOBR rulebook with the summary table to check things.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 13:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgoth

SOB can take DH allies, and vice versa. There is an elite slot in the allies force org. Demonhosts simply cant be taken if you take grey knights. There are legal ways to have Demonhosts with SOB.

As for the hitting on 4s, that is completely correct. SoBs are WS4, as are necrons. Wounding should generally be on 3s.

I would generally correct a mistake in gameplay by asking if it were correct(I mean, I can be mistaken too). Generally, it's not intentional cheating, and even if it is, there's little to be gained by making a fuss at first.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Maneki_Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
As for the hitting on 4s, that is completely correct. SoBs are WS4, as are necrons. Wounding should generally be on 3s.
I thought he meant from range, in which case it would be incorrect, as Necrons hit on 3's.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 16:29   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

How to call cheating:

Step 1. Politely comment on the cheat - and say are you sure thats right. (Reason: Some people can be new, and be getting it wrong because of it. First step is to always be a polite gamer)

Step 2, if they continue: Call them on it. Tell them to read the damn rulebook, and make some derogatory comment about their mother. There is no call for persistant cheating.

As for Vassal - if the spectators are generally talkin etc, then make a comment a la step 1 - the guy might not be doing it on purpose.

If it looks like he is abusing it - message the guy being cheated - let him know what his opponent is pulling.

And I was only half serious about step 2 :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote