Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

need help choosing an army
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default need help choosing an army

Hiya everybody. I've been reading the boards for a few days now and am trying decide on which army to play. I've got a few ideas but am not certain yet.

I'm thinking about playing a CC/HtH army. I dunno if there is a difference between CC and HtH. I ordered my rulebook but it isn't here yet lol. I don't want to play tyranids or orks because i just don't like the models.

I also want to have a massive amount of models on the table. I was thinking about taking multiple groups of units like banshees or flayed ones or even scouts.

Other than that I'm not sure what to get. I'm not a real big fan of shooting. But I'm not sure if its any good to attempt to overwhelm your opponent with an insane amount of units in CC/HtH. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: need help choosing an army

hand to hand armys blood angels are very good at that if you like SM chaos has the World Eaters another good in hth

dark eldar have Wyches ,eldar have Howling Banshees there alot of army to chose from if you dont like Tyranids or orks

but the new Tyranids look so cool ;D

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well your personal preferences basically screwed you over here. You want to swarm your enemy in CC, but you don't like the two armies that have lots of cheap units - Nids and Orks. The only other real horde army is Guard - and they are all shooting. Space Wolves are about smart CC, and Blood Angels are just about insane CC, but both are Marines - thus expensive, few models, and cheesy.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Cheese is only there if you want it to be. Don't dismiss marines out of hand.

You may want to give some more thought to this, after all, is you want large numbers of hand to hand models then nids and orks are the way to go. Howerer, if you don't like these models, there is a good chance you won't paint them, so you just end up with a lot of unpainted models.

Give some thought to whether or not you do prefer close combat to the exclusion of shooting, this may not be the best way to go.

Old 21 Jun 2005, 02:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Rain Send a message via MSN to Rain

He could go for an USF with all Storm Guardians instead of Defenders. Now that can be a swarming HtH army. Not as effective as nids or orks nor as strong as smurfs, but they got speed and Insane vehicles like the wraithlord. He could include scorps/banshees in too. Or go Biel-Tan with loads of CC Aspects or Lost and the Damned with freaks and mutants everywhere, cheap and some are Hth oriented.

He doesn't mourn, he doesn't cry
All he does from Dusk till Dawn
Is make the angels die
Old 21 Jun 2005, 03:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good thoughs. Comparitively, Eldar are few in number and pricy but with Scorpions, Storm Guardians, etc. you can get some pretty nightmarish damage up close (one squad of storm guardians @ 12": 40 rerolling S4 shots). Chaos is something I forgot completely. They have some pretty snazzy CC guys, esspecially Khorne or *shudder* Slannesh daemons.

Or, if you don't like shooting you could just play Fantasy....
Old 21 Jun 2005, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Geteg:

Well, if you wants hordes and you want some powerful fun, I invite you to check out the Lost and the Damned. They're a mix of hordes of chaos units, imperial guard and just overall scum of all the worlds.

Cheers!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 03:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Dark Eldar may be a option.

It'll take you forever to get good playing them, and you'll regulary get whipped like a dog, but once you get good with them they're worth it.

They dont have that much shooty stuff, just the basic nessisties, they make it up in close combat where they could use their hight "I" score to slay foes down before they even get to fight back.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Geteg:

Well, if you wants hordes and you want some powerful fun, I invite you to check out the Lost and the Damned. They're a mix of hordes of chaos units, imperial guard and just overall scum of all the worlds.

Cheers!
MalVeauX, i checked out the link and the lost and the damned sound pretty fun. I liked the idea of having 180 mutants on the table. I looked on the GW website but can't seem to find any models for mutants or traitors. Can u give me a link or 2 to where i can check em out? Thanks.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

as for as I know you have to make your own by converting, that is exept for allied chaos stuff. but im not sure just wait for mals anser as he knows more about the lost and the damed than any one alive.
Closed Thread