Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tournament rules
Old 10 Jul 2009, 06:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default tournament rules

Does anyone know where might I find tournament rules for 40k if they even exist? I have a suspicion that the normal rules might be interfering with the tournament rules. Would they be on the Games Workshop site?
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: tournament rules

I think that every group organizing tournaments uses their own "rules".

For instance here the winner is determined by Victory Points, Kill Points are never used. Also, there are some limitations regarding army composition (FW rules may be used, hiwever the whole army must then be WYSIWYG and in Fullpaint).

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 09:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are no "official tournament rules" beyond what's in the rulebook and official GW errata / FAQ's. Most tournaments will run some minor modifications to standard rules to keep it interesting, but they will be explained at the event itself. There is a set of tournament FAQ's maintained by a Jon "Yakface" Regul that is often used to handle confusion in the rules, but it's unofficial. When in doubt, ask the tournament organizer or whoever has been appointed as judge.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 09:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Or a tournament has rules clarifying what something does that GW has failed to update (I can't understand why they haven't but they haven't)

Good Examples
Barrage Weapons Vs Disruption Pods
Calgar does/doesn't take No Retreat wounds when choosing to pass a morale check upon losing an assault
Blood Angels Vehicles missing Firing Points and Access Points
Blood Angels Missing details on a few weapons.

These are just 4 examples I remember but there are more and I won't be surprised if another poster puts one in.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 11:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Download for the 2008-2009 UK 40k Grand Tournament Rules Pack

Do bear in mind that different countries run different tournaments, even if run by the same company. The UK GT rules are not necessarily indicative of the rules used in other countries.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Does anyone know where might I find tournament rules for 40k if they even exist? I have a suspicion that the normal rules might be interfering with the tournament rules. Would they be on the Games Workshop site?
Read the Warhammer 40k rulebook. Any special tourney rules are usually custom scenarios and missions that the tourney organizer would create.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 16:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok so for insitience (and I damn know it is true) there is no rule that says "an oppoent does not have to reveil his army list and/or tell about his army until after the game" and "if you have been cheated then better luck next time".

I had a guy say this to me and I think it is ridiculous. I mean it was at a GW so I think it would be a friendly game. I do understand that some people like to play it like that to seem more realistic etc... but I found it to be a friendly game (not the guy himself but the atsomphere).

That is the reasoning for my asking and thank you for the help.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 16:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

For a friendly game its generally in good faith to reveal what each other is bringing unless you both agree to closed lists. In tournaments they either say open or closed.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 20:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Course in a tournament your list has to be approved and almost always they only allow you 1 list regardless of what your fighting.
So if a cheat list passes by the tournament organizer and beats you with it...you just call them out on it after the game when they had to show you the list and they get themselves disqualified, and you still win.