Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scratch Built Model Supplies
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jun 2005, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Scratch Built Model Supplies

I am planning on amassing a decent sized Space Wolves army. For which, I plan on scratch building a warmachine fortress using the vehicle design rules (To be used in a rather big campaign we will soon be starting).

Name | Points | Front AV Side AV Rear AV | BS
Mobile Assault Fortress | 2220 | 14 14 14 | 4
Type: Immobile Size: War Machine Speed: Immobile
Weapons: Special Options: Vehicle Catagory:
1 Mega Battle Cannon Orbital Lander HQ
4 Hull Mounted Lascannons 5 Imperial Fields Structure Points:
8 Hull Mounted Heavy Bolters Transport (80) 15

Side View (No Detail)

The base will measure 12"x12". The sides will slant inwards, standing a total of 8" (vertically). 5" up (vertically) will be a deck reaching 2" inwards (with two sets of latters on each facing, to lead down to the ground level.) Each facing of wall above the deck will have two pressurized exit hatches from which infantry may exit. The walls around the deck level will designed in such a manner as to provide a 3+ cover save for any infantry firing from them. At the very top of the fortress will rest the mega battle cannon. Each facing below the deck will have a pressurized exit ramp, large enough for a dreadnaught to exit. The rear facing will have a larger exit ramp, large enough for a Land Raider (or other tank) to exit. Each facing will sport two Hull Mounted Heavy Bolters and a Hull Mounted Las Cannon. The Heavy Bolters will be placed on either side of the exit ramps, and the Las Cannons will be placed above the exit ramps.

My only problem is... I do not know what materials to build this from! My friend has told me about this plasticard stuff that GW uses to model their bunkers and whatnot.. but he could not provide a name or where to find it.. Could anybody please suggest what materials to build this out of, where I can find them, and approx. how much they will cost (not including bits like hull mounted weapons)

Thank you!
-Muds
Old 16 Jun 2005, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos
Default Re: Scratch Built Model Supplies

Why is it called moblie assault fortress when is it immobile. Also why does it have the orbital lander upgrade if it isn't a flyer.

Also for building this monster is will take alot of plastic card and maybe a couple of landraider kits.

edit: If price isn't a problem you could use this as the base of the model. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/battlefortress.htm
Old 16 Jun 2005, 01:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

"Mobile" Implies that it is not built on the spot. It can be transported, and dropped similar to a drop pod. The fortress then had stabilizers to even itself out, making it capable of landing on but the steepest hills. Once it is dropped, it plants itself in the ground, making it immobile until removed via how ever the hell they would lift something that big!

Anywho, I am trying to keep this as low budget as possible.. Thank you anyways (besides, thats not quite what I am looking for..) My friend just suggested that I buy hardboard from Lows.. its cheap and sturdy.

Any other suggestions?
-Muds
Old 16 Jun 2005, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to kungfuwookie

mod up some toy.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 04:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Plasticard is a general name alot like foamboard for sheets of modeling plastic that are usually available in most hobby stores. You'll probably find the best bet is in a store that caters to model railroad hobbists. The stuff comes in several thicknesses and can even be bought with various textures. I have some that has a currgated side that matches the decking on the inside of the rhinos for example.

You should also at the same time be able to find various sizes of plastic rod, brass rod/wire, balsa wood and bass wood. All quite usable ina project, speically if your wanting to add little details.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

For the base of the model, I reccomend a shape made out of foamboard. This stuff is strong, light weight and can be made resistant to sprays by covering the edges with tape. For harder, more detailed parts, definitely pasticard and a liberal smattering of Bitz.

Old 16 Jun 2005, 06:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For 2220 it has crap for firepower.

For 2220 points I could make something that could blow that away in one turn.

I understand that your playing a campain and that you want this thing to live, but whats the point of having something that cant be killed if it cant kill somthing?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im not going to pretend I know about VDR as I havn't the foggiest, so for 2220 points you have something thats larger than an entire army, but has the firepower of a couple of Devastator squads (Like I said, I have no idea what a Mega Battle Cannon is so I'll pretend it's a normal Battle Cannon but better).

Grtanted it's a Campaign, but whats it it? 8000 points? I'm being serious, as to me AV14 seems pretty weak for something that costs that much.

Other than the actual gameplay aspect... WOW that is an amazing project you have there. It's idea seems quite interesting, although I don't like the notion of the Imperium just picking it up again with whatever they have, seems like they should have a special craft for it.

This may sounds stupid as I don't know about the weapons etc, but can t not have more Firepower or better armour?

Thanks
Old 16 Jun 2005, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I appriciate all of your help, however just incase all of my bases havent been covered, I will still accept more suggestions.

Espi0N-
-First, Mega Weapons are +1 Str, -1 AP. This means that the Mega Battle Cannon is Str 9, AP 2.
-Second, the MAF has 15 structure points. This means that it requires 15 "vehicle destroyed" results to be made before it goes boom. Before you even do that, you have to get through its Imperial Fields.
-Third, Adding more firepower to the MAF would just be ridiculous. Considering its extreme durability, it is capable of laying down firepower for a considerable ammount of time. That and it acts as bunker terrain for any Marines deciding to hold it. This means that even the Marines will be more durable, meaning they can pump out even more firepower over time.

I do have another question though.. Do you think 15 structure points is a bit much for a construct of this size. I chose 15 because of the transport capabilities, and to compensate for its insanely thick walls.. however I have a friend who thinks that even 10 would be a bit much. What do you guys think?
-Muds
Old 16 Jun 2005, 20:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that it depends what kind of game your playing, 6 turns seems like killing a Land Raider 15 times IS a bit much, then again if your opponent is fielding super mega death dealing destruction cannons it might not be

More Firepower isn't needed then, especially if it can take 15 times the damage I thought it could. I'd like to see another Battle Cannon that can kill Deep Strike Termy's in 1 go though

Sounds like a fun piece of kit, I can't see it being destroyed at all. Unless VDR rules give you Strength 16 guns