Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The true nature of Warhammer 40.000 revealed
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2009, 11:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The true nature of Warhammer 40.000 revealed

I apologize to the Mods if this belongs somewhere else, but that site is just so hillarious that I can not stop laughing:

http://www.pbsblog.com/projects/spac...deathtoys.html

Old 19 Jun 2009, 11:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: The true nature of Warhammer 40.000 revealed

I think this was posted someplace before, not sure here.

But yeah uh... you would think that someone would research the fact that in order for a kid to do the 40k properly on his own without a parent he would need money, a sharp hobby knife, paint, green stuff, simple green, stuff with inhalant chemicals (glue/primer spray), a 7th grader's reading comprehension, and plenty of time with adults in a hobby store.* Why would a kid read all that VIOLENCEHORRORGRIMDARK anyway when he can work on the cool models?

P.S. You double posted.

P.S. of the P.S. Hey it's like the D&D is evil amirite?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This was posted before. It is amusing, yes, but there is a point behind it as well. Psychological studies clearly indicate that we model the behavior of individuals we admire, and that exposure to violence inures us to the effects of it. As such, WH40K can, potentially, have a detrimental impact on a youngster, especially if they happen upon it before their teenage years, AND they don't have any (or many) strong positive influences in their lives.

However, to be fair, life in our world was very similar to that in WH40K (nasty, brutish, and short, to quote one writer) only a few centuries ago. So, in my opinion, it's a worthy teaching tool to show youth just how far we've progressed in a short time, and just how far we can fall back if we fail to do our part to preserve civilization.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 16:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Yeah, the last post was moved to the enclave.

Just like everything else "good and bad" in this world, the term is relative and depends on the person.
The main thing is that children need someone to educate them about what their doing or playing.

I played violent video games since I was 5, 23 now, my mom only watched me play them and explained to me that it isn't real and such.
I started DnD when I was 12, and 40k about the same time. If anything both of them have only been beneficial to me as their are outlets of creativity as well as tools that help you socialize. Before them I couldn't start conversations or make friends, practically. But that's also relative, it may have worked for me in a good way but another individual might only take the wrong lessons.

Course no matter how you look at it, the only person to blame is the person who took the wrong lessons, as they themself did it without looking into what the possible consequences could be, and thinking about a situation is something every human is capable (but usually not willing) to do.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 16:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

As was said, we had this discussion a short time ago, so I reckon there's little need to repeat it so soon.

El-Lock-O
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Closed Thread