Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Another One of Those "Help Me Pick My Army" Topics :)
Old 03 Jun 2009, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Another One of Those "Help Me Pick My Army" Topics :)

Okay, I'm sure most people out there are pretty much sick of seeing these topics, but I would like some advice from someone who plays/paints/purchases Tau or IG. I'm caught between the two. I haven't played the game in several years and never really had a "real" army. I do not so much care about gameplay (it still matters though) as I do painting, modelling, fluffiness, and how deep it'll burn into my wallet. Here are the good and bad points for both sides for me. (No matter which I pick I have a bit of backstory fluff)

Tau: Good Points

-Mobile
-Can play 500 pt games right outta the box!
-Sleek
-Anime
-Battlesuits/ Battlesuit Commander charecters
-Easy and fun to write about
-Naive and Happy ;D
- Don't need to buy lots to play a game
-I already have the codex (got it when it came out when I was into 40k)
-Collective of various auxilaries for house rules
-Pulse Rifle

Downsides

-Naive and Happy
-Don't seem like the types to be grim
-Charecters are shallow and difficult to flesh out
-sometimes hard to relate to
-dark colour schemes don't seem to work
-hard to convert well
-not much diversity between Cadres

Imperial Guard Good Points
-Strong charecter building
-easy to write about
-lots of diversity
-can use dark, grim colours
-EDIT: Forgot to mention my Kasrkins and heavy weapon platoon I bought a long time ago
-flavourful backgrounds
-Commissars = Ultimate Badass
-Good tanks
-Easy to relate to
-easy to convert

Bad Points

-Expensive as hell to get a full army
-painting all those grunts would get boring
-lasguns fail at life (well actually death...)
-can't field a full army (2 troops 1 HQ) out of the battleforce
-Generally slow

Paint Schemes:

Tau: Sunsail Cadre

My Tau paint scheme is relatively undecided, but it is much like the tans and browns of that pirahna that was in the showcase a bit back. Don't have the link, sorry. And there are also blue detailing and odd plates.

IG: Vanderfall 33rd

My guard paint scheme I rather like. Anyone remember Halo 1? It's like the marines, brown armour, blue-grey cloth beneath. But it's darkened with a black wash. Also, to contrast the generally dark, grim feel, there are bright green light sources that give off an eerie green. I can't find my camera off hand but when I find it I'll post them.

As I mentioned earlier, anyone with experience considering these two armies, please feel free to offer any advice you wish, I could really use it.

Cheers
ShasEl RuiVar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Another One of Those "Help Me Pick My Army" Topics :)

Well, since i play Tau, i have a bias, but i like them more than IG
I don't see how you can say that the IG are deeper than Tau. In my opinion they are cliche soldier boys, and any story you write for their background will go to balls when they are ripped apart by anything you throw at them. The Tau are far more interesting. True, they are extremely alien to our point of view, but that only opens doors for interesting writing.

I always laugh when my IG friend tells me he chose them for his ability to relate to them, then sends them to get slaughtered by the dozens
Old 04 Jun 2009, 00:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I dunno anymore about Guard, they got a new 'dex and it looks pretty tough.

And I think there's a tactica/article about how lasguns are essentially like Orks; cheap and bad questionable on their own but in the quantities they're supposed to be used in, quite effective.

About the Tau thing; you can take at least two off the Cons list for Tau.
1) Tau are not naive and happy, it's like saying the Imperium is all fun and games because they all have one faith. Tau all have one 'guiding force' but there is quite a bit of politicking. Ever heard of Farsight? And they can look cool in dark colors/all grimy

2) And all the cadres are not too similar. Guard armies are just as likely to 'look alike' as Tau. If you relly want a challenge (because everyone uses the same thing for a reason; it works well) and you want individuality do something unorthodox. Like using lots of Vespids or Piranhas.
[hr]
I'd say proxy play each at ~1K because that's the level when armies seen to take more on character. It's not massive, but you get enough to use enough goodies to have some fun and challenges. I don't like IG personally because modern armies can almost do the same amount of damage. Unaltered humans (and I'm not really a fan of the Marines) in the 41[sup]st[/sup] millennium is lame IMO.

I'm not intentionally flame baiting (if I sound mean, sorry) it's just why I like Tau. They're futuristic, not generic humans that I see daily, and they are a (if not the only) positive force in the universe. I like being the 'good guys' just to be contradictory because lots of other people like being the 'bad guys'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 00:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I play both Tau and Ig and i would recomend Ig but they are my newest army so that influences my decision. Actually you can field an army out of the battleforce as long as you use the two squads as veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Ahab
And I think there's a tactica/article about how lasguns are essentially like Orks; cheap and bad questionable on their own but in the quantities they're supposed to be used in, quite effective.
Yes, this is true in my last battle 10 Guardsmen rapidfired on a unit of grey knights and killed all but one, thats 55 points taking out over 100 pts.
commanderbrightsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 01:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I always laugh when my IG friend tells me he chose them for his ability to relate to them, then sends them to get slaughtered by the dozens
Well, that why its easy to relate to them, because you or I WOULD most likely get slaughtered if we were to be deployed in a 40k battle. XD

You could try playing on Vassal40K to see which faction you like playing with more, before you buy anything.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 02:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sure its difficult to depict the Tau as Grim, but its certainly still quite possible I believe. The thought of everything having to be for the "greater good" can easily bring in conflicting points of view. You could even show it as a ruthless dictatorship bent on galaxy wide domination. If you think about it, the options they offer are submit to us or die...
They just try and make it look like there doing it in a nice way, which to me makes them all the more sinister...

Really its up to you what you choose to do, I'm slightly bias because I collect Tau and not IG (to many models to paint and it'd cost to much).

If you still wanted to do fluff for both though you could make a small kill team of the other army you don't choose to do, 10 models or so, and have some indepth fluff on them, like badass stormtroopers or lonesome stealthsuits or something.

Those were my thoughts on the matter.

Good Luck!
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2009, 04:13   #7 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejivar Konj
Sure its difficult to depict the Tau as Grim, but its certainly still quite possible I believe. The thought of everything having to be for the "greater good" can easily bring in conflicting points of view. You could even show it as a ruthless dictatorship bent on galaxy wide domination. If you think about it, the options they offer are submit to us or die...
They just try and make it look like there doing it in a nice way, which to me makes them all the more sinister...
Indeed, in the background for my Sept, Tel'Syr, they live on a post apocalyptic wasteland planet, and surviving on the sunlit side of the planet is extremely dangerous. This gives them a very stoic personality. Not everything is sunny in the Eastern Fringe