Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Woot! My 40K stuffs arrived today!
Old 27 May 2009, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Woot! My 40K stuffs arrived today!

So, as a returning player getting back into the game, I had the following already:

1 Tau Battleforce (partly assembled)
1 Tau Firewarrior squad
41 Space Hulk-era genestealers
20 cadian shock troopers
WH40K rulebook (4th edition version)

I bought, via ebay, the following:
32 termagant fleshborer bitz
19 Ork boyz (from the AOBR boxed set)
1 Space Marine Captain (AOBR)
1 Ork Warboss (AOBR)
Codex: Orks, Tyranids (both old versions, so I'll have to buy again), Imperial Guard, Space Marines, and Tau Empire
10 Cadian torsos, and legs
special weapons arms, 2 plasma pistol arms, a power sword and power fist, and a lot of the command squad bits (including the medic bitz)
20 bases for infantry units
Annnnnnd, Assault on Black Reach!

So, today, finally, all the bitz arrived. I now have 5 armies! Tyranids (I converted some genestealers to "termagants" with the fleshborer bits), Orks (39 boyz and 2 warbosses! WAAAGH!), Space Marines (I figure to use the extra captain as a librarian with a slight modification), Tau, and Imperial Guard.

There was an ecstasy of gluing today as I assembled 5 Nobz, 1 ork boy, a dreadnought, 10 tactical marines, a second Space Marine Captain, and my wife glued together some of her new Imperial Guard command squad troops.

Sadly, I can't afford to get the updated codexes or any new units, but I was wondering, when I finally CAN afford to get more stuff, what do we need most?

I figure Tyranid Warriors for the Tyranid army, and maybe some Ripper swarms (my 8 year old plays the tyranids and he REALLY wants ripper swarms... go figure!), more Imperial Guard (a Chimera and a sentinel, plus probably some heavy weapons first of all), and some space Marine scouts and maybe another tactical squad, since right now, my 12 year old daughter (who plays the Space Marines) can only field two units in a Combat Patrol game.

Does anyone see any major flaws in that plan?
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 02:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Woot! My 40K stuffs arrived today!

A few things.

1. Congrates on making a ton of armies!
2. You don't need new codexes for Tyranids or Orks, they don't have 5th edition ones.
3. You need a 5th edition rulebook to play.
4. Make sure that you have the 5th edition Imperial Guard and Space Marine codexes, they are the only 5th edition ones so far.
5. Converting the genestealers to termagants was a mistake, swarms of gaunts currently suck in 5th edition, change them back if you can. Genestealers are some of the best assault units in the game. Ever.
6. Warriors kind of suck, and Rippers really suck, but go ahead, in smaller battles it's OK
7. Get some HQs for your Guard and Tau.
8. Get the scouts, I believe that they will be fine right now.
9. You are way faster at making minis than me. Awesome job.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanoob
2. You don't need new codexes for Tyranids or Orks, they don't have 5th edition ones.
3. You need a 5th edition rulebook to play.

5. Converting the genestealers to termagants was a mistake, swarms of gaunts currently suck in 5th edition, change them back if you can. Genestealers are some of the best assault units in the game. Ever.
6. Warriors kind of suck, and Rippers really suck, but go ahead, in smaller battles it's OK
7. Get some HQs for your Guard and Tau.
8. Get the scouts, I believe that they will be fine right now.
9. You are way faster at making minis than me. Awesome job.
2 - Unfortunately, when I say I got the old codexes, I mean, the OLD ones. The 1999 versions. Deffcoptas aren't even in the Orks codex, and there's nothing in there about being a Warboss being able to take a Warbike. Boyz are divided into Shoota boyz and slugga boyz still. ugh.
3 - AOBR included a 5th edition rulebook, but Combat Patrol is a 4th edition game. Plus I'm still learning, so I'll stick to 4th edition for now and as soon as I feel like I have most of it down, change everything to 5th edition. It's not like we'll be playing in tournaments or at LGHS or anything.

5 - The boy seriously needed something shooty for his army. Genestealers are cool and all, but when they have to run across cover, they don't really have much chance. Even with extended carapace.
6 - I really don't know what else to do with his Tyranid army. In combat patrol, you can't take anything with more than 2 wounds, or anything with a save better than 3+, so the warriors seemed the best choice of "heavy" troops. I'm open to other ideas, though.
7 - The cadian bitz I ordered are being used to make 2 command squads for my wife, but in Combat Patrol, you don't HAVE to take an HQ. AND, the rules say specifically that you can take an Armored Fist squad in Combat Patrol without having to take an infantry platoon first. So the HQ platoon might be added, but isn't essential for combat patrol. But yes, that was a major goal of mine, to get her some HQ.
Unfortunately, the only Tau HQ you can use in Combat Patrol is an Ethereal, and that's not very fluffy, really. So I use the crisis suit from the Battle force as a Shas'vre Monat, but equip it the same as my commander (twin linked missile pods, plasma rifle, multi-tracker, stimulant injector)
8 - Thanks, I figure she needs some more shooty, less expensive models to play combat patrol with the rest of us. She can't use the Dread, it has too much armor, and the termies saves are too good for CP.
9 - Thanks, but I really can't take credit. These are the Assault on Black Reach models, there's very little work to do, really. It's cool to see the armies shaping up though, and the kids are REALLY excited.
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If he needs shooting, go with some deathspitter warriors. Fleshborers are really short range guns, and gaunts are some of the easiest things to kill in the game with shooting. Genestealers at least have a chance (T4 and 5+ save as opposed to T3 and 6+ save), and they also have Rending. Besides, 32 gaunts is plenty of shooting for combat patrol. Plenty. And tbh, you will definetly want them for future, larger games. Even at 1000 points, you want them.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote