Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Oddities about emergency disembarking
Old 06 May 2009, 01:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Oddities about emergency disembarking

So I asked this earlier, but I figured it'd be met with many more responses and or debates in the "general 40k" section.
I came across an interesting scenario in a recent game, and that is can a squad move and/or fire if it was forced to emergency disembark in his opponents phase? This was brought about in the event of my devilfish exploding as he was shooting at me. I opted to not fire my full 30" on my turn, because I felt that the emergency disembark somewhat counts as a movement, just outside of my movement phase.
What I'm curious about is, do many people agree with me, or not? I tried searching throughout the rule book and couldn't find anything thus far. I kinda want to know, in case the event a squad of heavy weapon equipped troops get popped out of a transport, can they fire since the disembark was outside the standard movement phase.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Oddities about emergency disembarking

Precedent would say that you do not count as moving. If your vehicle is destroyed or you are lashed or if you are Space Marines and you run away then auto-rally, you do not count as moving for your shooting phase.

You are, however, subject to taking a pinning test. But that's another matter.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 02:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unless the rules are clear about it (which I doubt), then I agree with Ekiel's interpretation. By RAW, I guess you can fire as if stationery if you don't move in your own movement phase, but I think that's silly. I can't see any soldier sighting through the rifle scope as soon as they hit the ground after a high-speed crash, particularly an emergency bail-out that involves climbing out the windows.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

But wait, if you get Lashed in your opponent's phase, do you count as moving? No.

If your opponent blows up your transport and you disembark do you count as moving? No.

If your opponent breaks your squad of Space Marines and they auto-rally, do they count as moving? No.

So why would emergency disembarkation be any different?

[hr]

Damn GW and their lack of terms. Emergency Disembark (which isn't a keyword ???) says that you can't do anything for the rest of the turn (not a keyword ???). Who's turn? The active players turn? The turn turn? Page 9 says that "in a complete game turn, both players get a turn." WTF?
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 09:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Namely because it has the word "disembark" in it. My complaint stems from the possibility of seemingly unfair situations that may present themselves from it.

Interesting if not rare scenario:
3 5-man devastator squads speeding up the field in a land raider (the one with 16 person capacity), it blows up. 3 5-man devastator squads (who can easily pass pinning tests) pop out and unleash hell.

But in all actuality I guess that since the rules don't clarify anything on movement and shooting afterwords...it's okay. ???
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 10:05   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Try to recall that 40K is abstract; it is very unlikely that the Rhino came racing up toward you, skidded to a dead halt, then let you blow it up whilst the passengers stagger out unharmed.

In reality, the Rhino was probably hit around the middle of its movement, skidded to a halt, and the passengers bailed before the fuel tanks lit up and blasted the thing to hell. In actuality, their 'crash' would have been pretty gentle (hence why none of them died / were injured beyond the ability to fight because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 10:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
Interesting if not rare scenario:
3 5-man devastator squads speeding up the field in a land raider (the one with 16 person capacity), it blows up. 3 5-man devastator squads (who can easily pass pinning tests) pop out and unleash hell.
IIRC, you can only transport a single unit at any given time in a transport, so your example itself would be illegal.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: I don't have my rulebook with me, so I can't give you any comment on this. But I think that you do not count as moving for shooting purposes.

Reason being? For example, if you overrun an enemy unit in the opponents CC phase, and don't move in your next movement phase, you do not count as moving, as well. That's just one of many examples of movement in the opponent's turn not affecting your own turn.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I think you actually can put more then 1 unit into a transport if it has the capacity...you just can't start with more then 1 unit in a transport, and only the unit that belongs to a dedicated transport can start in it. But I don't recall a "1 Unit only" rule in any of the books. Otherwise the crusaders transport capacity is nearly useless for blood angels as they only have 1 squad that can break the "10 point tranport limit" and you'll only see that in a game over 2000 points.

But I never use transports outside drop pods...save as smoke screens/mobile terrain/crazy battering rams (Yay Overcharged engines)....kinda creates a problem when ALL of your armys transports don't have access points or firing ports detailed.
Old 08 May 2009, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

A unit counts as stationary if it doesn't move in its own movement phase.

Black and white, in the rulebook.

Transport vehicles can only ever carry 1 unit. Period.

Don't make me quote page numbers, cause you know I will.

:P

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 17:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
I think you actually can put more then 1 unit into a transport if it has the capacity...you just can't start with more then 1 unit in a transport, and only the unit that belongs to a dedicated transport can start in it. But I don't recall a "1 Unit only" rule in any of the books. Otherwise the crusaders transport capacity is nearly useless for blood angels as they only have 1 squad that can break the "10 point tranport limit" and you'll only see that in a game over 2000 points.
negative. Terminators count double. Term squad w two chars takes 14 slots.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote