Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is Assault on Black Reach worth it?
Old 03 May 2009, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Is Assault on Black Reach worth it?

See topic title.

I might want to do a tutorial on this, because a) GW haven't done one, and b) I want karma. So, I need to now, from the people who know - is AoBR worth it?
The Deleter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 21:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Is Assault on Black Reach worth it?

Yes it is. Its a good start for a force or as an add on. Cost wise it great too!
Old 03 May 2009, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The set is absolutly worth it, particularly for orks who need many boyz and it's a great start for marines too.

But i'm confused, what would your guide/tutorial be about?
Old 03 May 2009, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

IMO you'd be better off buying a battleofrce for a 10 more.

then you actually get a force you can use in more games and is even better as a start-up force becuase you are normally given two troops choices which are now all importent.

AoBR isn't as good as, for marines, you're only given a single troops choice. it mostly focuses on the elites of the marines.

AoBR is beter for a Orks beginer as the set contains enough for two troops choices. the difference between AoBR and a Battleforce is that you get a HQ in the AoBR box where as you don't in most others (e.g. tau who can use an ordinary battleasuit as a commnder).
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 22:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Its a great thing to buy for u and your friend to start playing, and if u work it out your getting for way less than you would normally pay. Two of my friends got it and split it and the ork player is thinking about getting another one cuz 20 boys 5 nobs 3 kopters and a boss normally go for almost $100 but with aobr he gets all that plus all the other stuff for $50.
commanderbrightsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonagon
But i'm confused, what would your guide/tutorial be about?
I'd be a "getting started" thing for total newbs. Although the Getting Started booklet in the set probably covers all the bases, there are one or two things more experienced players could throw in there. :P
The Deleter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 08:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You also get a mini version of the rule book which is much more handy for playing games instead of the big one.

I bought one even though I had already been playing for 2 years because it is such great value.
Old 04 May 2009, 09:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think it is definitely worth it. It's great and so so so cheap.
The mini rulebook and extra's can be very helpful, but if you look at what your getting for the price, IMO you'd be a fool not to buy it.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 12:57   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Sword
IMO you'd be better off buying a battleofrce for a 10 more.

then you actually get a force you can use in more games and is even better as a start-up force becuase you are normally given two troops choices which are now all importent.

AoBR isn't as good as, for marines, you're only given a single troops choice. it mostly focuses on the elites of the marines.

AoBR is beter for a Orks beginer as the set contains enough for two troops choices. the difference between AoBR and a Battleforce is that you get a HQ in the AoBR box where as you don't in most others (e.g. tau who can use an ordinary battleasuit as a commnder).
AoBR is a freaking bargain!!

If you were to buy it all seperately:

Dreadnaught: 20
Terminators: 25
tactical Squad: 18
Commander: 8

Ork Boyz: 24
Ork Nobz: 15
Warboss: 9
Deffkoptas: 18 (assuming same price as bikers)

Rulebook: 30

167 worth of stuff for a mere 40.

As has been said countless times before: If you and a mate are beggining to play, and both buy the box, you have 2 ready made armies, all the rules, the dice and the templates needed to begin playing. The only thing you are missing is the paint and the Codex's.

Hell, the way I saw about buying it was to buy it for the rules book, and for 10 more I got 20 Orks, deffkoptas and a funky plastic warboss. Ive given the Space marines away (with the exception of the Tac squad) to those that are just taking their first steps into the game.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 13:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I know that our local GW store also did box swaps. So if you wanted the orks but not the marines, if someone else was buying it or they had an open copy, they would swap the marines out for another set of the orks. They did this a LOT when it first came out, but I'm sure if you are patient they will do it for you (or you might be lucky and they have the spare sprues in store).
Also. Hell. Yes.
Silk's pricing might be a little optimistic on the saving side, and the models are by no means as good a quality as the multi-part box sets, but they are still pretty decent. They are very detailed though, just a little static. The only difference between the rule book in AoBR and the hard cover version is the lack of background and hobby sections, the rules themselves are actually there in their entireity.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote