Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering a retirement from tournament play.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Considering a retirement from tournament play.

I've been playing since the first day of third edition and just got in from a 40K tournament in my local area. Honestly I'm getting tired of playing in them. Not sure if it is just tired of playing in 'local' area or if I'm tired in general. I think primarily it has become too stagnant.

Last month we had 16 people with a breakdown of the following: 12 Marine players (Four of which had all drop pod armies), 1 Inquistion, 1 Tau, 1 Necron (which is pretty much a Marine), and one Eldar.

Today was our annual 'Grand Tournament' (which means you can bring only an army that is FULLY 100% painted and there are actual trophies and not just prizes). Basically, it was pretty much the same thing as last month. 12 Marines (though less drop pods this time and more Land Raiders), 1 Tau, 1 Eldar, 1 Guard, and 1 Necron.

Best Overall went to the Guard player who was using a "Mechanized" Guard army (apparently from an Imperial Armour book as his five troop choices where armoured fist squads, not a platoon with chimeras, he had a 'Tank Ace' in a Russ Exterminator, a Command Salamander with BS of 4, and his sentinels had missile launchers - not sure what IA this list comes from). Best Sportsman actually went to a DOUBLE LASH army (still can't figure it out).

Basically the group consists of some really new and young gamers (mid to late teens) who all play Marines, some seasoned players who play Marines and Chaos, and a regular group of power gamers from the next city over who build the most disgusting of killy lists.

Personally I try to build balanced lists and try to have a good time. The past two tournaments I took basically 6 full troop choices which of course seems fodder for the power gamers who always leave with the top spots. Overall I end up generally defeated (twice I've had my entire army wiped out completely) and feel just no fun in it any more yet not entirely interested in building a power gamer army. I invest about an hour in driving time (half hour there and half our back), entrance fees, and a full day (we usually start at about 10 and end around 5 to 6 including presentations) just to watch the same people win.

So I guess overall it boils down to:

1) Should I finally just hang up the ropes because I don't want to become a power gamer and the fun is gone?

2) Become a power gamer to actually become a 'competitor'?

3) Get my butt into the car and travel to some other area to see if new competition leads to a new lease on gaming?

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Considering a retirement from tournament play.

Honestly, I think its a mix of 2 and 3. Now, I have no idea which army you're primarily playing, but perhaps just do a comb through your lists and just tweak it here and there, see what works and what doesn't. However, solution 3 seems to be what's really being called for, as its more of, you're getting stagnant with the people who are playing. It's always the same thing over and over, you know what to expect, etc. A change of scenery is what's in order.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

To be honest with you it seems as though you should retire from tournaments. You have a much more casual playing style that really doesn't fit well with the tournament lists. I myself have never entered a tournament, nor will I ever. Unlike tournaments for most other activities, 40k does not show who is the better commander, but who in fact plays the cheesiest list.

Sure it'd be nice to win some prizes and such, but if you're not up to building the cheesiest list you possibly can then don't worry about it. Just focus on having a good time and playing casual games.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am just sick of alot of the people who only use army cause it's got the latest 5th ed unbalanced advantages!!!! I bet in the coming month there's gonna be heaps of guard players!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is one tournament I go to regularly and it is Astronomi-con. Costs some dough to enter, but I can say with confidence that it is very much worth it. 6 games over 2 days on a wide variety of tables where each table has it's own non-standard mission. They draw an awesome crowd of people. At their most recent event fully 1/5 of the players got perfect 60/60 sportsmanship scores! And the armies? Some of 'em are absolute works of art!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You're playing in a competitive environment and upset that people are bringing lists that are optimized for competitive play? I can understand the cheese argument in everyday play but not in a Tourney. If you choose to play in a competitive environment then you have no right to be upset when you run into competitive players.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:36   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Sounds to me like you're playing in completely the wrong place. Allow me to assist you in locating the optimum location for 40K gaming:
  • Find a house - this should be your own, or that of a friends.
  • Find a room with enough space for a 6x4 gaming table. Alternatively, improvise - a big, empty floor works great
  • Ensure ale is on hand.
  • Ensure snacks are on hand.
  • Music is also an option.
  • Official terrain is recommended, but not compulsory - it's rather fun fighting over paint pots and stacks of old Video Cassettes.
  • Official rules are optional - you're here to have fun, so if you want to ram things with non-Tanks, do it.

This is how 40K is played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

competitive play like this will take the fun element out of it sometimes. personally i dont care about the competition, its the story, and immersing myself in the game universe itself that I like.
If you are playing in one area, against the same old players and same old tactics, it will get stagnant. Same with anything. You just need to keep your head up and play elsewhere for more experiences. Then when you do go back to it again, it wont seem as stagnant.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Sounds to me like you're playing in completely the wrong place. Allow me to assist you in locating the optimum location for 40K gaming:
  • Find a house - this should be your own, or that of a friends.
  • Find a room with enough space for a 6x4 gaming table. Alternatively, improvise - a big, empty floor works great
  • Ensure ale is on hand.
  • Ensure snacks are on hand.
  • Music is also an option.
  • Official terrain is recommended, but not compulsory - it's rather fun fighting over paint pots and stacks of old Video Cassettes.
  • Official rules are optional - you're here to have fun, so if you want to ram things with non-Tanks, do it.

This is how 40K is played.
The best thing you've ever suggested for WH40k that I have ever read Wargamer.

I would not currently be in this hobby if it weren't for the friends that I've made through it. For example, my best friend's wife took two starter sets and an AoBR box set and put all the bits into easter eggs for our Easter. You can imagine the utter fun that 15'ish grown men had running around shoving and tackling to get at the eggs. For good reason too, one egg had a ticket for a Baneblade! (Yes, the plastic one, but the fact that they are that giving is awesome).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_1972
You're playing in a competitive environment and upset that people are bringing lists that are optimized for competitive play? I can understand the cheese argument in everyday play but not in a Tourney. If you choose to play in a competitive environment then you have no right to be upset when you run into competitive players.
I fully agree with you.

If you want to play in tournaments then design armies that can compete! If you know exactly what armies are showing up each time then build the perfect counter army! It's a challenge. Everyones goal in a tournament is to win. If you think good armies are "cheesy" and don't want to play against cheesy armies then maybe you should just play with a group of casual gamers who don't build very powerful lists.

I understand what you are saying about having to play the same armies each time in the tournaments. That would get boring. But if you know exactly what everyone is playing then you should be able to take them on... Build a new army that slaughters marines.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote