Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Space Marines completely taking over?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2005, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Are Space Marines completely taking over?

sorry about that first one I hit enter on accident.
Maybey
its just me but every other army seems to be space Marines now-a-days.
Like 9 out of 10 people either play chaos Marines space Marines. What happend! why has everyone in my town
taken up space marienes! what makes them better !

Is warhammer just makeing too making little perks
for the army due to popular demand (like I said
alot of peope play space marienes)? I'm starting to get tired of playing them all the time...
It's a rare event that I get to play some Xeno army.
does any one else feel this way or is it just me?
-RailgunV42
Old 05 Jun 2005, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default Re: are space marienes completely taking over?2

I completely agree i hate space marines! Especially Blood Angels!
Old 05 Jun 2005, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Probably a few reasons for why there is currently alot of Space Marines. *First off is that Marines currently are the 'Flavour of the Month' which means all the glitterflies have swamped to them. *the armies have been collected and finally finished painting so are the ones you see right now. *You'll probably see an increase in Tyranids after this month since they are being released here in June and they become the new flavour of the month.

Second is the possibility you ahve a bunch of new players to the game showing up. *GW pushes them as the starter army because they can be more forgiving of mistakes than say, Guard or Dark Eldar. *Necrons run pretty close but the Astartes still have a good lead.

In either case just give it time and you'll probably see the numbers go down again.
Old 05 Jun 2005, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

And of course there's been all sorts of nice new kits, rules etc. that have just been released. Now the Tyranids will have their chance, and then so will the next one in 6 months time.
This Topic is on the verge of being shifted, please keep this from a general 40K point of view.

Old 06 Jun 2005, 23:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Commander Cool

SMurfs are taking over for these reasons:
1. They are a key part of the 40k universe, and thus are advertised more.
2. Easy to play
3. Flavour of the month (already stated)
4. Look cool (to a certain extent)
5. The number one beginners army

Those are the reasons why

p.s. I really don't like SM
Old 07 Jun 2005, 09:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Re: Are Space Marines completely taking over?

As humanity's finest, i think Smurf's should be dramatically limited somehow. Right now, EVERYBODY uses humanity's finest. I long for the chance to verse some regular humans (Imperial Guards).

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 07 Jun 2005, 10:01   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fluff wise there are a lot less 'smurfs' than guard, nids etc so logically speaking a SM army should be a lot smaller than its foes

ie. each marine should be a lot more powerful but a lot more expensive, like right now 1 marine (genetically modified to be humanity's finest, blessed with the best armour, weapons and training and with centuries of combat experience) is roughly equal to half a dozen dumb &$% guard who've been conscripted into the core handed a torch and pointed in the vague direction of the enemy.

ps. I dinnae hate SM much but i luv Guard!
Old 07 Jun 2005, 12:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

marine fluff is hopelessly exagerated, to follow the "rule of cool". Rogal Dorn, a Primarch nonetheless declared "give me 100 space marines, or failing that 1000 other troops". thats their effectiveness- a battle company is as effective as a thousand guardsmen.

but read the fluff, and the 11th commandment is "all the enemies of a space marine have no tactical sense, move as fast as a slug on tranquilizers, and are as tough as wet cardboard". and the 12th commandment states "if chaos marines are present, all loyalist marines have no tactical sense, move as fast as a slug on tranquilizers, and are as tough as wet cardboard".

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Jun 2005, 13:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Aye, that always baffled me for quite a bit as well. Choas Spacemarines should be so much stronger and more expensive than normal marines cos they're experiences are matched by none.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 07 Jun 2005, 17:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I think most of the Marine fluff is fine. From the very extensive amount of fluff I have read most of the enemies when fighting Marines are shown in no different way to when they are fighting anything else, its just that Marines are probably the best soldiers in the Galaxy, that is how it is.

If people don't like Marines why like anything to do with 40K?, they are an integral part of it. Deal with it, this is how it is and its a staple of 40K. You knew this when you first started.

The reasons why Marines are the most common army are well known, still they most definitely aren't a beardy or unfair army. Yes they are easy to use with reasonable results yet they are arguably the hardest army to truly master.

They aren't as powerful as they are in the fluff because that would ruin game balance, that is also the reasons why the numbers of warriors you field correlate directly with the fluff and why it is acceptable to have so many Marine armies around. Yes the fluff obviously has a large bearing on the game but you must know where the line needs to be drawn to achieve balance, it isn't the hardest thing to work out really is it?.

Since taking up 40K 8 years ago it took me about 7 years to decide to get a Marine force, so no they aren't one of my main armies at all. There are of course armies/races in 40K I don't like in terms of fluff on a personal level, the Tau for example I don't like them because they hate CC etc. But I like that they are in the fluff and that they are in the game. People may not like the fact that Marines are superhuman, almost invincible etc but I can see no reason why you wouldn't like them being in the game/fluff etc.

'marine fluff is hopelessly exagerated'

No, its not. Its is if you compare it to the real world but this is a Sci-Fi game, that is how Marines are. There is nothing more to it. They aren;t exagerating how hard Marines are, that is how hard they(GW) have decided Marines to be.