Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

casting custom models
Closed Thread
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default casting custom models

How crazy will gw get if you sculpt your own models (completely original models and or bitz), mold them and cast them to sell? I've seen people selling custom shoulder pads and such so im assuming its not illegal or gw just doesnt care.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: casting custom models

If you are making your own models what does that have to do with GamesWorkshop? Nothing. As long as you aren't duplicating their products then GW has no authority over anything you do. Have fun sculpting models.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

And as long as you don't sell them as GW (or GW subsiduary) models, then yeah it's legit.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Key words to avoid "Games Workshop" "GW" Warhemmer 40k"

Those are all trade marked/copy right words and GW does protect it's IP.

Also long as what you do is orginal you should be fine. but I am not an expert on Copyright infringement.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A dude got sued around here by GW for that sort of thing, but he was straight up duping their models and selling for cheap. I'm not sure how it applies, precisely, but I'd err on the side of caution.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
A dude got sued around here by GW for that sort of thing, but he was straight up duping their models and selling for cheap. I'm not sure how it applies, precisely, but I'd err on the side of caution.
"that sort of thing"? Straight duping vs independent modeler? GW isn't the only miniature modeler on this planet, they only have the right to defend their own designs. As long as you don't sell your sculpts as "Warhammer 40k shoulder pads" or "GamesWorkshop gobbos" or the like, then they can't do anything to you. You can make shoulder pads that fit space marines, but you can't claim that they are "Warhammer 40k Space Marine shoulder pads" as if they were official by any means.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

It is very much a grey area. Making your own is not illegal and even to an extent encouraged. Sale of such though can be a bit more niggling. If you were doing custom shoulderpads I'd try to make it just the emblems, not the pads themselves just to be safe.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

If it is your own creation, it is not a grey area whatsoever. You can make and sell whatever you please.

You cannot generally sell copies of what others have made, unless you have explicit permission. Laws vary from country to country, but as a rule of thumb, if it's not yours, and it's part of something you sell, get permission first. In writing.

If you make a custom shoulder pad, great. Sell away. If it's a copy of a gw product though, you've got issues. If you sell something you falsely claim is a gw product, you've got issues.

Make your own stuff, and make it clear that it is, in fact, your creation when selling it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The problem is that it's GW ip. All the characters and fluff is owned by them. You could always put a piece of a GW model in each of yours and say its just a conversion.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 01:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hmmm now if I sold it as just this is an arm that fits a 40k space marine... It's not exactly saying this is a space marine arm but gets the message through without actually making the step over the line. I am silly speculating on the subject I myself have not actually sculpted very many things other than fur and the such but if I could make some money and pimp out my army at the same time that would be f**king awesome.
Closed Thread