Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blast templates and firing at units behind other units
Old 20 Dec 2008, 04:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tanyos
Default Blast templates and firing at units behind other units

The way I understand it is that if I'm shooting at a unit that is positioned behind another unit with a blast weapon such as a battle cannon said unit would get its 4+ cover save because it puts a few extra bodies in front of a high explosive shell.

This doesn't seem to make much sense to me. ???
O_o
o_O
O_O
Tanyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blast templates and firing at units behind other units

Don't think of it as they getting the save, think of it as your gunner having to take a more difficult shot. It's harder to hit a squad that isn't in plain sight. More of an chance to miss or hit the ground in front/behind them, etc.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 06:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Please correct me if I'm wrong, (still getting used to 5th ed) but isn't the los that is used to determine if someone gets a cover save drawn from the hole in the center of the template? If so, and the shot hits only the rear unit, then isn't there no cover save given by the unit in front?
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 06:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Only barrage or guess weapons get that rule.

The shell of a basilisk or mortar fires in an arc, thereby ignoring any intervening terrain. The Russ has to shoot it's shell at a straight trajectory, which makes it vulnerable to striking the side of a building or the bunker the enemy is hiding behind.

Old 20 Dec 2008, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is interesting. This makes my troop heavy armies even stronger.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well this rule is just ridiculous. I can see being in behind area terrain or in cover as giving a save but just behind troops and getting a save is a little dumb when you have a tank shell speeding by at velocities that would pass through a body completely.
O_o
o_O
O_O
Old 20 Dec 2008, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_the_squirrel
Well this rule is just ridiculous. I can see being in behind area terrain or in cover as giving a save but just behind troops and getting a save is a little dumb when you have a tank shell speeding by at velocities that would pass through a body completely.
Also, consider that if it was true to a real battle, you would be able to roll to see if it hits anything between the unit it is shooting at and the tank that is firing. If you fail the roll it explodes on something that got in the way.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 22:58   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

People who question this rule really, really need to get online, and play me at MGO. If that doesn't sum up how this rule works, nothing does.

A few examples:

Friendly Fire Is Not Friendly:
MGO penalises you for blowing your own side to bits. Just like in real life, you have to watch your fire. So, I was trying to take a mag of 30 bullets, and put at least half of them into the face of an enemy... when some idiot jinks into my line of fire. I pull the shot so I don't take him down, but in the process I waste half a mag taking out masonry. In short, firing through a 'Friendly' saved the enemy.

Staring Into Space Is Bad For You:
I like to play a CQC-heavy style. Especially on "Sniper" levels. I like to imagine what goes through the head of my opponent, just before my bullets.
"Aha! There you are! You think you're all that, sitting on that balcony with a DSR-1! Well, I've got you right in my sights! This is gonna be sooo GAH! No! Help! Get him off me! Get him *BLAMM*!"
If you spend all your time trying to snipe the guy on the other side of the battlefield, the guy twenty feet away is going to rape you in the eyesockets.

Didn't See THAT Coming!:
Related to the above, I've noticed people tend to get very 'focussed' on distant enemies. When everything's in their face, they can just fire like crazy and dive like an Italian Footballer, but when they have to fire down a long alleyway they need to concentrate. This is pretty realistic; you don't score long-range kills by just vaguely waving the gun around.
This sort of thing is great when you can catch the other guy doing it; sometimes, they mistake your shots for those of the enemy, but the absolute mayhem comes when it's total blind-siding. Their target is facing the wrong way, or just peering over a wall, and all of a sudden they come under fire. What do they do? They panic. They go to ground, and the guy who was about to suck on Sniper bullets lives another day.

These examples are just from videogames; reality is infinitely more confusing and terrifying. As such, trying to 'ignore' someone closer, but potentially no less threatening, is very hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 23:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

First, what is MGO?

Second, I LOVE me some eyesocket rape!

Old 20 Dec 2008, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This...wha???

I shoot at an enemy. Another enemy is in front of him. My tank shell goes oh well they aren't supposed to die, I'll just explode with enough force to punch through armor but not the soft flesh standing in the way.

I'm not talking about shooting through friendlies, I can understand why that would mess up my shot, I can understand that perfectly. I'm talking about shooting through the enemy to blow apart another enemy, why would I hesitate when an even greater opportunity for destruction of the enemy presents itself.
O_o
o_O
O_O