Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

is good really good?
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2005, 08:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default is good really good?

i am starting to think that soace marines arn't exactly as "good" as they seem you would think that at least one race would accept another. i don't know i'm bored so just tell me what you think
Old 21 May 2005, 08:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: is good really good?

If by good you mean good-and-evil good, no they aren't.

The imperium in general is xenophobic, power hungry, manipulative, and held in thrall by millenia old dogma.

Whether the emperor wanted it or not, the imperium doesn't even SEEK the power to save themselves, because of their blind faith in him. Trying to develop warp technology? The inquisition will shut you down so fast. They might adapt to changing circumstances, but their society has so much inertia that they're probably going to keep going until the last tech-priest realizes that spitting on a bolter doesn't really fix it, and man enters a dark age.

It's a bit easier to have sympathy for them, I suppose. They're self destructive, and struggling to survive. But the means they have for controlling themselves is brutal, their methods in most things unethical, and their value for human life nonexistant. And diplomacy? Fusion bomb first, ask questions, then fusion bomb the rest.

In 40k, I'd say the general theme of things is that there ARE no good guys. Every race brings out the worst in sentient-nature. Even the Tau, really. Who knows if they even have free-will with the etherials around. Wanting, and being made to want something, are two different things. And chances are, their good natured, just woke up from a nice nap disposition towards the universe probably won't last long, when they realize how crazy it is.

And the Necrons? If they knew HALF of what was going on, they'd just grab their lunch boxes and go back to sleep. Everyone else is doing their work for them.
Old 22 May 2005, 20:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the 40k universe: it's an interesting place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there :P

.........on a mission from the god-emperor of mankind.........

Bolshevism is not a policy; it is a disease - Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22 May 2005, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck
the 40k universe: it's an interesting place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there :P
AAAAY-men, bruvvah!
Seriously. That's why we play the game insted of live there...

And no, Space Marines are not 'Good'. Neither is Chaos 'Evil'. Or the Necrons or Tyranids. The C'tan, yes, they are evil. But they felt like it.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 23 May 2005, 01:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck

i had no idea ^-^ i must blow to be an average person
Old 23 May 2005, 01:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you look at fluff you see that as far as Humanity goes the ordinary citizens are just as technophobic and Emperor-worshiping as a human in military service, but the major differance is that they know nothing of the threat of alien invasion - untill there's a Hormagaunt screaming in your face in place of an alarm clock.

The only other race with ordinary citizens are the Tau, who are probably the most enlightened race. As far as the Space Marines go, they are not 'good' by the definiton of western society. The closest modern equivilant of crusading, religious-obsesive warriors are islamic terrorists.

Unless 9-11 is your definition of good and just, then no, the SMurfs are not either.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to epc-Felix

I would love to live in the World Of 40k, WAR WAR!, i love it, the chance to run into combat and ripping your enemys apart bayoneting them point blankshots to the Face, My dream come true.

Yes im a little twisted but a grunt is a simple life which is what i like. >
Old 23 May 2005, 08:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Imperium are like Crusaders/strict fascist rule/zealous religious society/militaristic dictatorship. So no by today's standard's they're not good.

Tau are like communists without the corruption (apparently). So by today's western standard's they ain't that brilliant either.

Exodite eldar are like Omish. So no western society wouldn't like them that much.

Craftworld Eldar are much like ancient greek style society, i guess they would be acceptable.

Orks/Kroots are feral, warlike, tribal. Barbarians to us in every way.

The other's don't even have much of a normal civilisation by our standards.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 23 May 2005, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc-Felix
I would love to live in the World Of 40k, WAR WAR!, i love it, the chance to run into combat and ripping your enemys apart bayoneting them point blankshots to the Face, My dream come true.

Yes im a little twisted but a grunt is a simple life which is what i like. >
have you ever done anything like that before??? seriously if you do you probably wouldn't want to live in the world of 40k
Old 23 May 2005, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

People... There is NEVER a good or bad in a war. Each side has their own opinion on what is really "good" or "bad". Tyranids could think that devouring worlds is a "good" thing and call themselves the "good" guys.
Closed Thread