Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Not for New Players Eyes
Old 05 Dec 2008, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Not for New Players Eyes

Ok, first off this isn't a rant.

It's just that it really annoys me when i play aginst some new players and they are doing three
VERY ANNOYING THINGS

1. They don't know the rule AT ALL, not even basics like moving and LOS
2. they try dictating rules to me
3. they are trying to cheat, and i mean badly

Is this something all new players do or was i just against a really bad player.

Again this is not ment to be a rant.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Not for New Players Eyes

You were just playing a bad player, one bad player does not mean they all are poor like that.

Quote:
1. They don't know the rule AT ALL, not even basics like moving and LOS
2. they try dictating rules to me
3. they are trying to cheat, and i mean badly
1) This is an area you should have patience. With a new rule set out I am still adjusting to the changes.

2) Politely tell them that it is just a game, and they should only play if they are having fun.

3) Stop playing them and point it out, if you see them doing it again pack up and leave.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 20:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

In this case I think you were just against a particularly bad player. It's understandable if a new player hasn't totally grasped the rules and doesn't understand the more complicated situations such as wound allocation but they should really know the basics if they're playing someone they don't know as a friend.
Also, I see no reason or excuse for them to be dictating rules to you. Any respecting beginner wouldn't try and dictate rules to someone who is a veteran, at least compared to them. Although they may question something it's usually because they misunderstood part of the rules. I think that many new players also feel slightly humbled when playing more experienced people and want to make a good impression so they can guarantee games for the future and fit into the local gaming community better, which is also a reason why they wouldn't cheat.

My advice to you would be to either try talking to this person, put them in their place if necessary but don't be annoyed or too blunt when you do it; there's no point upsetting or annoying them when they may honestly not have meant to annoy you. If that doesn't work then just don't accept to play him again in the future, at least, not until he's learnt and has become more respectful and enjoyable to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, how old was this person? He sounds like a child from how he is acting.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thank you Broken And Ryan

Perhaps I'll play a lower points game against him to outline the rules, though last week he did make it a point that he bought the rulebook. this was a week after our game as the cub is weekly.

Perhaps i should have said this in this first posting but i don't think of myself as a veteran. also my opponent was at least 6 years my junior, i shouldn't have been so hard on him.

but it still aggravates me when people blatantly cheat.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 21:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yea well I have no tolerance for anyone that cheats personally. I don't like to play people so out to win they need to cheat.

I don't care if I win, it's all about the game. Most of the time :shifty:
Old 05 Dec 2008, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I don't care if I win, it's all about the game. Most of the time :shifty:
Too true
Old 05 Dec 2008, 21:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As if it's not obvious.

I am a totally new player as are all of my friends, so I can speak form a position of "noob authority"

We're not all like that. Most of us are just trying to learn and may especially in cases like mine, have learned a rule wrong or argued it incorrectly and thats the way we learned it.

Then again, as mentioned, age may have something to do with this as I believe I am the second youngest in our group at 25 years old.
cheaterbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Depending on the intentions of the nooblet you will find those that are playing strictly to be the next great strategic prodigy usually either attempt to cheat or try to make words rule in their favor. These will be easy to point out as they usually play armies painted by others, exaggerate about wins, make an excuse for every loss, and brag about exploits. In all honesty I was one when I first started (heh, NA... noobs anonymous), but once they realize its not fun when no one wants to play you, then you begin to understand the concepts of common courtesy and fair play.

I have come to find that if forced to play against such a character it is best to remain in good humor, as to show them the fun they should be having. After all, next game you can always drag out your best army and table him by turn 3 for humbling purposes :-P

Anywho, what I'm wondering is if anyone has a noob friend that almost always refuses to play. My brother's girlfriend started playing sisters of battle and she teamed up with my brother for one game. Incidentally I only had my tournament army of tyranids available and wound up tabling them by turn 4. She hasn't played since, even against other noobs. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Old 05 Dec 2008, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintermuteSwarm
Anywho, what I'm wondering is if anyone has a noob friend that almost always refuses to play. My brother's girlfriend started playing sisters of battle and she teamed up with my brother for one game. Incidentally I only had my tournament army of tyranids available and wound up tabling them by turn 4. She hasn't played since, even against other noobs. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Tell her about faith, tell her to take all flamers, and bring a weaker army she can beat.