Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Saw, Played, and Lost to a funny list the other day....
Old 05 Dec 2008, 07:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Saw, Played, and Lost to a funny list the other day....

I was playing in a 750 point tournament last Saturday, and at that tournament was one of the strangest lists I've ever laid eyes on. Seeing it made me wonder why I'd never seen anything like it before.

Anyway, the entire 750 pts were taken up by

1 x Librarian
2 x Marine Scout Squad /w Sniper Rifles with a heavy bolter.
1 x Land Raider Crusader (No Multi-melta)
1 x Land Raider Redeemer

He won the tournament. I played against him in the final round (apparently crisis suits really get the job done in low point games, hadn't lost until that point) and I have to say, it's a nasty list. You're probably thinking that it doesn't have any anti-tank. I did too. I knew better at the end of the game. The Librarian was kitted out with that auto-glance ability, and he glanced my Hammerhead to death. The redeemer managed to chase my fusion blaster equipped 2-man crisis team off the board in one round with a twin-linked assault cannon. That was pretty much it for me, since I had nothing else that could even glance AV 14. I managed to kill the Librarian and the two scout squads, but it was a KP game, and he beat me by one. I'm consoled by the fact that he slaughtered everyone else that he played.

Next 750 pt game I'm bringing three hammerheads.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 07:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Saw, Played, and Lost to a funny list the other day....

That's not a funny list. That's abuse of the rules, and pure powergaming.

I can imagine how this guy wrote this list.
"Hm, what's the thing no one expects at 750 points" he thought. After podering this question for three days, he finally had the answer: "A Land Raider! AV 14 all around, very expensive... no one's gonna expect THAT!" After two further days, another stroke of genius: "Why not just take TWO?"

Sorry, no. That list is not fun, that list reeks of powergaming and "My manhood depends on winning every single game I play! Yes! I need to screw one over all of those noobs, and pwn them with my 1337 skillz! Lol!"

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 09:03   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Thats the kind of list that gets people beaten to death, rolled up in a carpet and chucked off a cliff. Its not fun to play against, its nigh impossible to counter short of tailoring your list, and even then you'll struggle.

One of the worst aspects of the hobby are people who make lists like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The List has its place and it's in tournaments. Yes it might be on the tweaked out to win but it was a tournament and he was obviously taking it serious. The tournament though should of had you judged on compisition, generalmanship, sportsmanship and presentation. This will blanace out the powergamers thus ensuring that they don;t win best overall. Where was your Broadsides? I feel no pitty for a tau player since the Boardside is one the best ani landraider/monilith weapons in the game.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 13:20   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I have to agree with Boss Bones and Rafe Kara. I would NOT expect a Land Raider or even TWO Land Raiders in a 750-point list. BUt as Hyena said, the tournaments are suppose to have points for Generalship, Sportsmanship etc to counter-balance these power-gamers.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 13:30   #6 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Why are you guys saying the guy needs beaten? It was after all a tournament. Isn't the goal of a tournament to bring the best list you have so you can beat the other people who are bringing the best lists they have?

The second you organize a competition where the goal is to win you have to expect this kind of list.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 13:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't have even played him even if it meant winning the Tournament, because clearly, he only thinks of over-powering and winning, when in-fact it's not about over-powering or winning, it's about having a fun, sporting game.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 14:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

A tournment is designed to see who is the best. If organized properly it will judge people on who has the best looking army, (converting/painting), the best sportsmanship, the best generalmans and the best overall. Do not kid your yourself tournments are designed to win. If you enter one expect to see some tough as nails list. This player obviously banked people not tanking a lot of anti tank and was able to capitilze on this. If you cannot handle these facts about tournament then maybe you should stick to firendly pick up games.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 14:54   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I've always viewed Tournaments not as a measure of how well the various armies work, but how big a douchébag you are.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 15:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That comment is hypocritical since it is designed to only stir the pot amongst those that take tournaments seriously. Ok so your not into the tournament scene no need to rude. Others could view the fluff, paiting or even the gaming side of the hobby in the same aspect but voicing a negative opinion on it doesn't accomplish anything. Please stick to contructive post.