Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

understanding 5th edition wound allocation rules
Old 03 Dec 2008, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default understanding 5th edition wound allocation rules

Basically what the title says.
The way I understand it is that as long as the models in the unit are different in any way I can allocate the wound(s) one at a time and not to the group as a whole
is this right?

Old 03 Dec 2008, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How exactly do I exploit 5th edition waound allocation rules

Basicaly, yes. You have to assign each wound to a model before you roll the saves. Then you roll the saves by like model types. It's really not an exploit it's just the way the rules work now.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 20:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Some armies can exploit it a little bit. The more variety you have in your squad, the more choice you have over who dies, and the more likely you are to save a model that would have died under 4th edition rules. The rules do the most damage to things like devastator squads, where there are 3 or 4 important models and the rest are basically filler. Since you have to allocate wounds before save, you are at risk of losing the important models after you have one wounding hit for each filler model, not one unsaved wound. Tau crisis suits can exploit this more than most, although a mixed-up tyranid warrior squad should be able to do the same trick. If all models in the unit are equipped differently, then extra casualties from one will not transfer to the others; they are just lost. If a squad of 3 crisis suits (with no 2 having the exact same options) takes 9 wounds, you will roll 3 saves on each suit. If you fail all 3 saves on one of the suits, that suit is dead but the extra wound is not applied anywhere else.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

The best example of using the new system would be protecting character models, that tend to draw a lot of fire. Put them in with a bodygaurd unit, then if you do take hits, then you can allocate those wounds to the bodyguard before your character... and to a lesser extent can help keep your champions/special and heavy weapons in your squads still in play for that bit longer.
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 22:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you truely want to exploit the wound allocation rule you must have aunit that has both the ability to individually kit out each member and they must have 2 or more wounds each. So by kitting out each member uniquely you are now able to spread out the wounds. By each model having multiple wounds you now don;t have to kill off a model that is down to one wound. You simple put the saves on the other models that have yet to be wounded. Ork Mega Armoured Nobz, Ork Nobz, and Crisis Suits are units that I know can do this.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 23:16   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Deathwing can abuse this a bit because it is pretty easy for all five models to have different equipment.

In the past, if you took ten wounds, you made ten armor saves. If you failed five saves, five terminators died. Simple.

Now, you divide those ten hits into five piles, each of which is rolled seperately. If a Terminator rolls two 1s, he dies. If he doesn't roll any 1s, he lives. So there will sometimes be a few extra failed armor saves left over that don't do anything.

This partially balances the loss of control. In the past, if you lost one terminator you could choose which to remove. If you divided your hits, whichever model fails a save has to be removed.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

alright thank you everyone I have a better handle on it now
Old 03 Dec 2008, 23:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

You want to know how to exploit wound allocation? Easy. Firstly, get an old style metal dreadnaught. Insert dreadnaught in sock. Strike your own head with said sock. Repeat until you lose conciousness.

Seriously, while I realize that people want to play competitively, actively seeking out ways to manipulate your army list in order to best "exploit" a rule is cheesy.

If you want to modify a unit so that all of your precious wargear isn't on one model so that the unit is less vulnerable under the new wound allocation rules, fine, fair enough. But if you want to build a unit of 10 Ork Nobs each meticulously outfitted with a slightly different wargear configuration so that you can (theoretically) allocate each model one wound before killing any models off...well, then the above method is exactly the cure.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2008, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureus
You want to know how to exploit wound allocation? Easy. Firstly, get an old style metal dreadnaught. Insert dreadnaught in sock. Strike your own head with said sock. Repeat until you lose conciousness.
No dreadsock, thats not happening.

and to you comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureus
Seriously, while I realize that people want to play competitively, actively seeking out ways to manipulate your army list in order to best "exploit" a rule is cheesy.
I am thinking now that "exploit" may have not the best term to use.
how about fully understand?
Old 04 Dec 2008, 00:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by face
I am thinking now that "exploit" may have not the best term to use.
how about fully understand?
That's better. I can live with that.

My suggestion for single wound units is to "spread the wealth". For, example, if we're talking Chaos Cult troops (Plague Marines, Khorne Berserkers, etc), under 4th edition it may have been worthwhile to give the Aspiring Champion a Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Personal Icon, etc. Under 5th edition, it's only pragmatic to give each of those wargear selections to different models and save a handful of models for "ablative wounds". This gives you a sort of cushion for your troops in distributing wounds.

For two wound units, you can do this as well...to an extent. Giving a unit of 3 Crisis suits varying wargear is one thing. Giving a unit of 10 Ork Nobs varying wargear is an entirely different thing, IMO. Thankfully, there are precious few units which allow you to exploit this rule as fully as Nobs do. Like most powergamey tactics, it comes down to the spirit of the tactic and there is no definitive line of "right" and "wrong".

[hr]

On a completely separate note, welcome to Tau Online.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote