Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How would you make 40k better?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default How would you make 40k better?

Reading Wargamer's old article that was locked I started wondering (someone brought back a 3 yr. old article :P), what would make 40 k more fun and more balanced? Imagine; If tommorow you got an e-mail from GW willing to give you a job to get a gamer's input, and they are willing to put you on a comitee who's sole purpose was to improve 40 k (and thus to make a higher profit).
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How would you make 40 k better?

a forum that was listened to, some gamer input on what a codex should have would be a big one, working harder on getting rid of the metal minis would be another big one (maby some sort of thing where if you have say a converted pathfinder and want to bring it in we make a quick mould of it, give you back the original, and then play with what we have. then you wouldnt need to pay as many sculptors and you would get some cool poses

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would place all codex books online as free PDF's but have them only contain the rules and no large amounts of fluff. Stores can still sell a printed version of said codex but its reduced size would mean a reduced price. As the books are smaller and only contain rules, it should be easier to update them.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
a forum that was listened to, some gamer input on what a codex should have would be a big one, working harder on getting rid of the metal minis would be another big one (maby some sort of thing where if you have say a converted pathfinder and want to bring it in we make a quick mould of it, give you back the original, and then play with what we have. then you wouldnt need to pay as many sculptors and you would get some cool poses

All plastic minis wouldn't really be a good thing. The metal models allow the model to have higher quality molds and details, plus there are some models that are expenisive in metal form so that people don't buy mass amounts as they aren't needed. I.E. Meganobz, Obliterators, Pathfinders, Vespid etc. I was personally pissed off when they made 1k sons half plastic. They only models I wish we're made into plastic are Hellhound and Demolisher bitz, and some other blister available models.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just to address the issue of comparing the two flagships of GW's product line, WH40K by it's choice of scale and futuristic setting cannot offer the same style of tactical game play offered by WHFB. It's not unlike comparing apples and oranges.

That said WH40K has some grave balance issues that I'm not certain are surmountable without substantial changes to the underlying mechanics of the game itself. Just by looking at the amount of fine tweaking and fiddling with non-core game mechanics that have happened in each release since 3rd edition, I'm convinced that GW is trying to fix inherent flaws by tacking on additional rules and exceptions that only generate more problems and imbalances.

I can't help but feel that the TO forums would get a lot less rules queries if the designers adopted rigidly consistent lexicon throughout all the rules material they published.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Restructure the price system to reflect the point cost of the model. A 6 point model should not cost $6 (Kroot Hound anyone?).
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the olny models that should be metal are the commanders/special chars, the rest of them should all be plastic, you cant get the same quality with plastic (if you know what your doing) the deteriate dosnt work either, then people start converting (by the way, PM me whats wrong with lots of pathfinders) and then GW looses $ because there cheaper marine box was converted into the 1k sons (that they could see for more) then they have stuff like kroot hounds... dont get me started there...

besides a lot of the most cheese stuff isnt metal models, it just seems that way to some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 18:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I don't think they have any other option besides redesigning the game from the ground up. I hope that when they update all armies for 5th edition they actually attempt it for 6th and release the rules with a full updated codex library to go with it, none of this leaving armies without updates for years crap anymore.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I'd use the gaming public as my playtesters. Free WiP codex PDF's so that you get input from the people who actually play the game.

That way, all the crap that slips through like the storm shields flat 3+ invul, or crap like pathfinder fish not getting scout (ok, old edition I know) can be picked up on by the players.

I'd also standardize all shared equipment. A storm shield is a storm shield is a storm shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would make the basic army lists free, but not particularly useable without sourcebooks. The army list would show all options, but it wouldn't have all of the rules for them.

Each sourcebook would deal with some particular tactic or campaign. They would contain rules for a few units from many different armies. Sort of like Eye of Terror and Armageddon. If you wanted to use one of these advanced units or rulesets, you would need to buy that sourcebook. Alternatively, you could use the free codex list, but it would be pretty basic. Just enough to get you playing, but not particularly complete or competitive.

Sometimes a sourcebook would look more like a codex. For instance, one dealing with the Inquisition would focus more on Inquisition and Chaos units.

One Sourcebook might deal with espionage, and would contain rules for Infiltrators. Another might contain rules for siege warfare, and would contain the rules for the heavier support options.

The reason for all of this is that I think GW needs to get away from the "one-army-at-a-time" splash update cycle. That approach forces them to get players to start new armies, and you can see it in the way they advertise more and more. If they switched to a release pattern where all armies were updated continuously in terms of both rules and models, all players would have new avenues to expand into all the time.

[hr]

In terms of rules, I think they need to get better at defining the tactical niches each army list is intended to occupy. No one army list should be able to excel in all areas of the game.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote