Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question to the fluff gurus
Old 24 Nov 2008, 18:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Question to the fluff gurus

I was just curious, outside of the Codex and Main book for 40K, what would you consider the 5 most important sources for what is considered cannon? In other words, what 5 books should I read to get a good handle on the back story? If you think it should be more, feel free to suggest more!
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question to the fluff gurus

Does it have to be books?

I mean, theres plenty of background in WD and theres also GW's website.

From what I can tell, novels can sometimes be a bit unreliable as canon.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

OK, good point. Change books to sources. I just want it to be entertaining and reliable. So if I got into an argument, I could say "Look here." And the other person can't say "That's a crappy source, you need to look at cannon stuff!".
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Insignium Astartes is a must for Space Marines. Titanicus by Dan Abnett is a great insight into the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Titan Legions. The Index Astartes articles are all good reading, as are the short articles on the Armageddon site that can be accessed via a web archive. Lastly "The Inquisition" is a good guide to all the various terms and characters of the Inquisition in the Black Library and GW material and is a good introduction to the various people and factions within the shadowy Inquisition.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Well, I would say Graham McNeils and William King's books for starters. You will generally find bits from their writing in the Space Marine Codices, but the Necron Codex also alludes to McNeils writing as the true rebirth of the Nightbringer. Other than that, the Horus Heresy series is generally regarded as canon.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togashi
So if I got into an argument, I could say "Look here." And the other person can't say "That's a crappy source, you need to look at cannon stuff!".
Or, you could just explain to them that everything published by Games Workshop (Rulebook, Codex, Online, whatever), Black Library (yes, even the Goto stuff unfortunately...), or even Forge World (They're a subsidiary of Games Workshop too!) is technically canon, no matter how much they don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Library
The BL editors work with the GW studios to keep the fiction the way that it should (very hard might I add! - RK), though due to the sheer volume of detail involved there can be the odd discrepancy here and there. If you want to consider anything "canonical" then both BL fiction - be it novel, graphic novel, art or background book - and GW fiction - be it White Dwarf, Codex, Army book or rulebook - are such.

Keep in mind Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies, propaganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk about "canonical background" will never be known because of this. Everything we know about these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history ...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually Black Library is technically not canon. Other sources quoted from BL spokespeople have said as much.

Personally I'd love to strike the Ultramarines series from existence.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I am not sure there is any one technical answer. This isn't like Star Wars or Star Trek, where someone with control over the IP took the time to define a strict heirarchy. Individuals within the Studio or within Black Library will likely all have different opinions about it, but none of them have the ability to define it exclusively. Even the original published background of Warhammer 40k does not have a single creator.

I do tend to favor sources that come out of the rulebooks, or that have been subject to more editor oversight. I think some of Abnett's stuff is pretty far out there in terms of theme and continuity, and obviously Goto is an extreme example of that. So I tend to view the Black Library as less canonical than Forge World, and obviously less than books published by the Studio itself.

But it is always going to be up to the individual. GW just isn't interested in maintaining as much control as some other science fiction settings.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 21:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, and that sucks. So it's pretty much just read the rule book and codex? What about other rule books like Battlefleet Gothica and stuff? I don't have access to any of that in my area, I'd have to special order it in...
And I have most of the Horus Heresy. Good stuff...
Old 24 Nov 2008, 22:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, you can read whatever you want, and enjoy it for what it is. Just don't expect to be able to argue about it like you might with Star Wars or Star Trek. If you want to play that sort of game with the background, 40k doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote