Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army schemes
Old 24 Nov 2008, 18:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Army schemes

Over on the Tau board we've had long talks about what the Tau's scheme is, in the big picture of the 40 Universe. That got me thinking about what all the others schemes are as well. Here's what I came up with so far.

Chaos Daemons Very strong CC and Shooting, small model count
Chaos Space Marines Evil Jack of all Trades
Daemonhunters Heavy CC Infantry, Good Shooting
Dark Eldar Fast Mobile CC Infantry
Eldar Very focused Units
Imperial Guard Unfocused, Massed Firepower, Tanks
Necrons Heavy Infantry pretending to be Light Infantry
Orks Massed CC and Shooting
Space Marines Jack of all Trades
Tau Focused, Mobile Firepower
Tyranids Fast CC
Witch Hunters Counter Army, Jack of all Trade

I doubt very much that I've boiled things down exactly, but its a fair representation I think. I realize you can make a marine army all CC or all shooty and be good, but that's not the point. What is the point is I noticed one glaring missing piece. Something that is very important to the fluff of 40k, but Its not here in a full form. See it yet?

There is no single race that excels at psychic powers! Yes, most races have some, and the Eldar in particular have some very powerful psykers. But no race is filled to the brim with psychic powers. The Tau are all about guns. The Nids and DE focus on CC with a smattering of shooting. Nids and IG and ORK are all about numbers, where Chaos Marines, Demons and Demonhunters are about very low model count.

I don't know how often GW introduces a new race, but this is one area I do not see them tapping right now. I don't positively know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure when I first looked at this game, way back around 2nd ed. the Tau and Necrons didn't exist. So I'm pretty sure they add in new races, just not sure if they will again.

Anyways, just thought I'd point this out.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Army schemes

Of course they add new races,

Chaos Daemons being the most recent example.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

See, I figured Demons was just the splitting of the older Chaos book into two. The downside is, rumor says Demonhunters and Witch Hunters are being merged into one...
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

Well if you go back a bit futher than 2nd Ed... look at space quest and if you can the material in Rogue Trader.. they had a lot of other xeno races in there, including tyranids, which i didnt really see much of till third ed came out, just more of some of the sub species, and space quest had robotic skeleton models, that funnily enough remind me so very much like the necrons... a later GW 'new' race. The kroot are mentioned in 3rd Ed background materials too.

Funnily enough there was one image in Rogue Trader that sticks in my mind, because it was of a games table with very tau-esque buildings, which is annoying as now i want to find a copy of rogue trader again for the images and hell the art-work and other bits in there.

It seems GW is good at pulling out older references, dusting them off, and turning them into fully flegded races, and ignoring calls for them to bring back races they killed off that we want back like the squats.
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

squats?

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

Squats in simplest terms were Dwarfs in space... runic biker dwarfs, they went oop during the early days of 2nd Ed.
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm sure there must be a reasonable way to represent them with another army's rules.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

People use Guard or Marines usually.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO's Jester
People use Guard or Marines usually.
That sounds about right, particularly guard with the doctrines system.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't really foresee them adding a race with psychic powers as their specialty. The Eldar are probably going to be about as close as it gets. The reason I think this is that Psychic Powers (PP[giggle]) aren't really meant to be a direct means to victory the way they can be in Fantasy. In Fantasy there's an entire Magic phase and every army automatically has some small amount of magical defence, and has access to more. There is no PP phase, and the only defence that I know of is the psychic hood and its counterparts, and it's not available to every army. PP's usually take place in the shooting phase and are rarely all that devastating.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote