Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Counts-As
Old 18 Nov 2008, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Counts-As

If one were to make cool models for something, does it matter if they're from the right model range (as in army, not a different make of miniature e.g. Warmachine)? And are consistent? To what lengths will you accept Counts-As?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 00:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Counts-As

I'll accept anythign as long as it is about the approximate size and it is clearly understood before the game starts as to what it is representing. This brings back the memories of some of my first games many years ago against my friend's coke can dreadnought.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Reasonable and consistent.

If you're doing counts as then there should be a good fluff/modelling/cool factor reason as to why, and everything you substitute should be the same across the board.

One of my favorite examples of this would be Fish Eads armoured Company. All the vehicles are giant walker type things converted to be ork konstrukts. His few actually infantry models are grots wearing guard uniforms with lasguns. Characterful, creative and consistent.

A bad counts as would be plunking down a unit of empire halberdiers in a bretonian army and saying "They're peasants" "Why are you using them?" "They're cheaper than the bretonian box".

Meanwhile beside that unit you have an actual unit of bretonian peasants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

It depends really I am OK with a lot of stuff. As long as it is consistent. For things like using bits form the regular and is the same size and not trying to blatantly abuse True line of sight. I might let someone use converted genestealer as lesser daemons as well as long as they are converted.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 05:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
A bad counts as would be plunking down a unit of empire halberdiers in a bretonian army and saying "They're peasants" "Why are you using them?" "They're cheaper than the bretonian box".
Why is this necessarily bad? If the player is doing it to save money it is still no different than a counts as for fluff reasons. If the models at least look similar and the models are consistent, then so be it.

Like an Ork player I met a while back who used left over Guard Sentinels with grots in them as Killa Kans since he didn't want to waste more money for the KK's when he had perfectly fine counts as. Or another example would be buying regular Space Marine Assault Marines as Raptors (Also painting them in their respected Chaos scheme) since the Raptors cost almost twice as much. It's respectable.

Hell, I admit I do this, I buy a box of 3 Heavy weapons, a box of Cadians and BAM with some converting and model switching I have 3 of ever Heavy weapons squad and enough left over cadians for a 10 man squad. This is a mild version of Counts as I suppose.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Drummer_Boi, that's not Counts-As, that's simply being economical and showing common sense =P

I bring this up as I was thinking of using Dark Eldar models to represent a Chaos Daemons force.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Im in the same predicament Circus - I want to keep the look of my daemons army strictly Slaaneshi, but I can't resist the likes of Blood crushers and flamers.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On the GW website there was an amazing Black templars army with marines on cold one's for bikes, a stegadon with marines on top for a rhino and best of all there was a marine on the high elf dragon as a predator.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drummer boi, all of the things you mentioned involve a little ingenuity. Actually putting grot pilots into sentinels? Seems like perfectly fine Killa Kans to me! Especially once you give it an orky weapon and a few other Orky touches.

Using assault marines as Raptors? Sounds reasonable, especially if you kit bash a little and mix and match in pieces from the regular chaos marine sprue.

The big thing with Count-as is doing it for a reason. Not just as a quick fix because you could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Scarface, while that army might have been cool to see, it reminds me ofa nid list I recently faced (Nidzilla) that used one Hive Tyrant, A carnosaur, two stegadons, and a carnifex. The Old blood on top of the carnosaur had some sort of digital eye, and the stegadons had sentinel bits on them. I didn't consider those to be good 'count-as' models. The rest of the people present thought it was the greatest idea ever though, so I didn't say anything.

It was confusing mostly, I don't know which stegadon ahs Tl-Devs and which had TL-BS :P.

One good example was an army of dragon ogres that had been converted into centaur like mechanical Space Marines, with the HQ techpreist on a juggernaut body. Scout bikes still were stock but I guess he scrapped is chaos fantasy army for a weird SM biker army.