Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A collection of questions to help a newbie
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default A collection of questions to help a newbie

So ive pretty much decided which army im going to be delving into first, as a new player, but I want a second army eventually (to play myself hehe) and honestly I just want more information on the game and how people view things. So I thought id ask a series of questions to help me understand how folks feel about the different factions.. and also to help me decide on what other factions I may be interested in..and also to help me decide if ive chosen the right army to start with.

So.. bear with me here.. and feel free to only answer the ones that you care to. The only request id make is that, if possible, any details you can give would be great. For example.. instead of just saying "Space Marines".. saying "Blood Ravens" or "Crimson Fist" would be much more useful. If ya want to explain your choice in detail..that would be great too, but if ya dont feel like it thats cool. Im looking for things to research, so just knowing what to look for is useful.

The Questions:

1) What is your favorite army to play, and why?

2) Who do you hate having to fight against, and why?

3) Who are the top factions for fielding a small elite army?

4) Who are the top factions for fielding a speedy army?

5) Who are the top factions for fielding vehicles?

6) Who are the top factions for anti-tank?

7) Which faction is the easiest to paint?

8) Which armies are in dire need of a new codex?

9) Of the armies in need of a new codex, which ones are supposed to have one coming out soon?

10) Which army do you wish you saw more people using?

11) Which army are you tired of seeing (other than SM)?

12) Are there any army lists that you feel are too cheesy and unsportsmanlike?

13) What is a cool and unique army that you have seen someone use before?

Guess thats it. I know that if I dug around enough id probably find answers to all of these questions in one place or another.. but im just trying to centralize some of this info so I can refer back to it.. plus, id just like to start a conversation

Thanks for reading.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 06:01   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Joyraindo
Default Re: A collection of questions to help a newbie

Heya. I've been playing for a while so I'll have a crack at those questions for you.

1 ) I play both Tau (hybrid) and Space Marines (I go more for short range firefights. My own chapter). Not so much Tau anymore since last Christmas "Surprise we got you a Battle Company" so I may as well use it. Marines have grown on me, and I avoid the cheesy stuff in the new codex. which makes it more fun for me.

2 ) I hate fighting Necrons (partly because of an Apocalypse game I played. 15,000 pts a side of Imperium vs. Necrons. And the Necrons kept respawning (It was a really well played, fluffy scenario), and one particular Chaos Space Marine player who thinks its good play to have a Nurgle winged Daemon Prince, a Defiler, a Dreadnought and Raptors in a 750 pt list. Other than that, they're all fair game.

3 ) Small Elite? Probably Daemonhunters, in particular Grey Knights. Space Marines, possibly. And Necrons.

4 ) From what I've heard, some Ork lists can be pretty speedy (I've not actually fought one before). White Scars space marines, Dark Angels Ravenwing take the top, yet anything that allows mass spam of transports can also be loosely called speedy.

5 ) For vehicles look no further than the Imperial Guard. With the right Doctrines, they can have at least one vehicle (including Chimera, which is by no means a pushover) per Force Organisation slot.

6 ) Anti-Tank? I'd have to say that they all do a fair job of this, with the notable exceptions of Grey Knights based armies and fluffy Khornate Chaos Space Marine armies.

7 ) Well that depends on how good you want to paint them, what techniques you use, what colours... Haha the list goes on. But for simplicities sake, Space Marines are generally easier (dark coloured ones in particular) and the hardest, from accounts of my friends, is probably Eldar.

8 ) Well Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and Space Wolves are on the horizon I think (right?) and the rest is up to player speculation as to what's next. My opinion is the Inquisition codices need to be brought to line. Others might say Tau, some say (for reasons I have yet to understand) Chaos Space Marines.

9 ) huh. As above :P

10 ) I rarely see people fielding "fluffy" Chaos Marine armies anymore. But armies on the whole? At my club there was only one Tau player (me) and no Nurgle or Tzeench armies at all (as in, the whole army. Plenty of Slaanesh and Khorne)

11 ) (as an aside there are few Space Marine players at my group. Everyone that did has moved on, or in my case went to them after another army. So I play Space Marines... Unusually, let's just say :P) But I'm sick of Khorne-based armies led by Slaaneshi Deamon Princes with Lash >

12 ) Well the army list I mentioned in number 2 takes the cake, but The new Marine Codex has more than it's fair share of ye olde cheese. Certain Ork Builds, and certain Eldar builds also have their helping of it as well. All armies can be potentially exploited for cheese. Advocate Fluff based armies wherever you go!

13 ) Well I made a rather... unique Tau army back in the waning days of 4th edition. It was quite powerful, but 5th edition has rendered it largely ineffective. But, really, some Inquisitorial Armies I've seen have been really cool. And a guy I know had.. 9 Leman Russ, 3 Bane Blades and a whole bunch of other IG vehicles. Until our shop got broken into and everyone's minis (and $6000 AU worth of stock, mostly those "Apocalypse bargain boxes" we called them) got stolen (we were allowed to keep our armies in the shop for safekeeping (it wasn't a proper GW store. But it's closed down now as a direct result of the break in). Thankfully I didn't lose anything as I never left my army in the shop seeing as I only managed to find time to go in maybe once a week, if that.

But I digress.

Out of Curiosity,what army did you choose?
Joyraindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:20   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

nice..thanks for the answers

I chose Orks. I understand that they are alot more popular these days..since the new Codex came out.

I like thier versatility... its possible to build for melee, shooty, speed, horde, or small elite.. Plus I love their look and fluff.

At the moment im trying to come up with a good 1500 point list that is a combination of speedy and small elite.. but also makes use of battlewagons, burna boyz, and a special big mek I want to use.

For my second force.. im thinking about making a Crimson Fist army.. since im gonna have space marine miniatures from the AoBR box set, and I like their colors...and they are a natural enemy to Orks... but im open to most anything really. I may hold off until that new Dark Eldar Codex comes out.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:21   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Joyraindo

Yeah, the new ork codex is fairly nifty, has a few tricks up it's sleeves. Or pages, whatever :P

I like the Crimson Fists, pretty much everything about them. If you go with them, use Pedro Kantor! He's pure win to say the least.

But, it might be best to see what the upcoming codices hold, then choose. When I get my Marines Painted I might get a start on my Imperial Guard :P

Sounds like that would be an interesting list to play as and against, rather than the usual I face. (Boyz, boyz and more boyz. Occasionally bikers)
Joyraindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1) Space Marines (crimson fists), i Like there durabillity and the way they look, also this chapters fluff, i also have Tau though and some Grey Knights.

2) Dont mind, maybe tyranids? the scuttling and rushing then the slaughter...

3) really Small really elite would be Grey Knights.

4)Any could really, but I'd say Orks or eldar.

5)Imperial Gaurd, lots of tanks. tank tank tank.

6) Tau Maybe

7) I found My Tau easiest to paint.

8)Daemon Hunters

9) Gaurd are supposed to I think.

10) Dark Eldar, Imperial Gaurd.

11)None

12)You can make any lists to cheesy and un sportsman. I enjoy fluffy armies.

13) Hmmm, I saw a skiitari Force in a WD.

lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau, even though i suck with them. I love the move and shoot...

I hate the Imperial guard. Too many bleeding targets!!!

Dark eldar, they have such a fun story its sad you don't see them in stores...
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

1) Tau and Nids. Completly diffrent armies I know but I feel both of them work completly difrently from other armies. Also enjoy IG.

2) Necrons, Due to the We'll Be Back rule. Them and Nidzilla if the opponent using them was a right twat

3) Grey Knights. 23 points for a basic Grey Knight...

4) Both Dark Eldar and Eldar are considered very speedy. Espically Dark Eldar as I believe virtually everyone can Fleet. But Also Speed Freaks, White Scars, and Dark Angel Ravenwing are also very speedy. Tau arn't exactly speedy but have the ability to be a very mobile force.

5) IG can theoreticly field.... lets do a quick bit of maths... 51 Chimeras I believe... Also they are the only army that has rules for an Armoured Company. It was a Chapter Approved and i believe it may still be on the GW site...

6) Hmm... Well CC Wise Nids. But shooting wise, Tau have their Railguns and the Ability to field 9 of them, but don't have as many mid ranged weapons. IG can have a Lascannon in Every troop sqaud. So a maximum of 6 Lascannons per FOC. Plus Basalisks and Leman Russes high strength weapons

7) Depending how much effort you put in Space Marines and Tau are pretty easy. Necrons can be VERY easy. Spray paint them silver and you can be done if you wanted lol

8) Dark Eldar and the Inq armies.

9) IG, Space Wolves, 'crons, and Dark Eldar are over the horizon and i believe penciled in for next year.

10) I'd like to see more Fluffy armies than Cheese armies. It's nice to do that from time to time. That and Dark Eldar. Never played them :-[

11) Hmm... Generally I'm tired of the general MEQ armies. Chaos Marines, Smurfs, and 'crons. Their ment to be rare yet everyone and his dog uses them :

12) Nidzilla. The only list as far as I'm aware, that didn't take a heavy beaing from the transition to 5th Ed

13) Inq armies tend to be very unique.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
Ravensquig. Ravensquig is an entire army of Ork Bikers. Not only does it fill my deep-rooted need to go fast, but the imagery of the army is fantastic. Just imagine 30+ Orks riding down the road whilst "Highway to Hell" plays in the background! XD

Plus I've got a good number of wins with it.

Quote:
Tournament Gamers. The Powergamer mentality goes against how 40K is meant to be played.

Quote:
3) Who are the top factions for fielding a small elite army?
Orks are one of them - My 1,500pt Ravensquig army has 32 models in 1,500pts, and regularly wipes the floor with everyone. You can get even lower than that.

Chaos and Marines are likely candidates as well. The Dark Angels let you field Deathwing (All-Terminator) armies, which are the classic "Elite" army. They are hard to use though.

Quote:
4) Who are the top factions for fielding a speedy army?
Orks once again (is there anything they can't do?). Eldar and Dark Eldar are the classic "Fast" armies, but Marines / Dark Angels also allow all-bike armies.

Quote:
The top three are Imperial Guard, Imperial Guard and Imperial Guard.

Quote:
6) Who are the top factions for anti-tank?
Tricky to say. Tau arguably have the best in terms of raw power (Railgun), but there's more to it than that. Ork Nobs / Warbosses on Bike with Power Klaws will destroy most tanks, a Carnifex or Wraithlord can jump up and down on them in combat, and plenty of races sport a myriad of Lascannons and other big guns.

Overall, I'd say Guard. Just because they can get so many heavy weapons.

Quote:
None.

Quote:
8 ) Which armies are in dire need of a new codex?
Dark Eldar. Their Codex was written for 3rd Edition. It was one of the first ones released for 3rd as well. Since then, they've had nothing. Closest they've had to an update is eventually they reprinted the Codex with a few modifications, but that was in 3rd as well.

Quote:
9) Of the armies in need of a new codex, which ones are supposed to have one coming out soon
?
They're getting one soon. Ish. We hope.

Quote:
The original Cadians.

Quote:
Plastic Cadians.

Quote:
Yes. Examples include Chaos "Lash" armies and anything brought to the Grand Tournament.

Quote:
Ravensquig. It's still pretty unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
Guard, purely on the massive amounts of tanks (and men, but mostly the tanks ).

People who don't know the rules, but insist that they do. It usually is not intentional, but I hat having to make them look up every rule that sounds fishy.

Guard. The only army capable of an infantry-less list (the Armoured Company List formerly off the GW site, but gone now, and the Armoured Battlegroup list in Forge World's IA:I)

Next I would say Eldar or Tau.

Necrons, but they also can have very unique and complex paint schemes as well, so can offer both an easily painted army, or a complex one depending on one's skills.

9) Of the armies in need of a new codex, which ones are supposed to have one coming out soon?
Guard is rumored as the next codex

Inquisition

Honestly, Orks. Since Black Reach and their new codex, everybody has started Orks in my area. I see as many, or possibly more Ork players in my area than SM players.

Nidzilla, for reasons stated above. But really any list can be made cheesy.

I think any army without an actual codex is always cool. Arbites and Adeptus Mechanicus for example.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. What is your favorite army to play, and why?
I only play Space Marines at the moment, although I'm starting Tyranids, Orks and Daemons. I find them fun to play because I usually heavily theme my armies and play against tough opponents. I imagine Orks can be very fun to play because of their style though so I'm looking forward to using them.

2. Who do you hate having to fight against, and why?
The hardest force I've ever had to play was a Chaos force my friend used to field, though he doesn't play anymore. It was back in 4th Ed. and he had a deadly Daemon Prince with a generally powerful force and I wasn't very good at manipulating tactics and just fielded the models I had. Recently I've been playing Ravensquig and I've only managed draws at best so far but I reckon I know how I can win next time.

3.Who are the top factions for fielding a small elite army?
I would say Daemonhunters are because of the Grey Knights. They're basically slightly improved Space Marines that have more powerful weapons and cost more, therefore consist of smaller numbers.

4. Who are the top factions for fielding a speedy army?
Probably Ravensquig as all their Boyz are mounted on Warbikes making them a very fast force with a lot of dakka.

5. Who are the top factions for fielding vehicles?
Imperial Guard in my opinion because they're the only force can field an army totally made up of tanks. Although most other armies can field a large number of vehicles none can match the numbers of the Guard.

6. Who are the top factions for anti-tank?
Anyone really, apart from Orks and Tyranids probably, although they have some units that can penetrate the armour of tanks other armies generally have better weaponry available to do this.

7. Which faction is the easiest to paint?
Any of the Marine armies as they don't require any detail to make them look good, simply blocking of colour will do. The reason for this is that each part of the Marine's armour is separated in a way and so the colours can be formed into patterns.

8. Which armies are in dire need of a new codex?
As far as I'm aware it's Dark Eldar because they haven't had a Codex since 3rd Edition.

9. Of the armies in need of a new codex, which ones are supposed to have one coming out soon?
Space Marines and Daemons have just had new releases and I think Space Wolves and Imperial Guard are coming up next.

10. Which army do you wish you saw more people using?
Necrons and Dark Eldar but there are good enough reasons for people to not want to collect and I'm going to wait for a new Codex for the 'Crons before I start collecting them because at the moment they have a very low amount of units and I prefer to have more variety.

11. Which army are you tired of seeing (other than SM)?
None really. Most people paint their models originally and play differently so I don't find any of them annoying or tiring to see.

12. Are there any army lists that you feel are too cheesy and unsportsmanlike?
Well I don't like lists were the same units are repeated over and over again in the same list and certain squads are duplicated but most of the time people's lists are fine I find.

13. What is a cool and unique army that you have seen someone use before?
My friend who I previously mentioned had a very well themed Chaos force with a lot of fluff but other than him I'm never played anyone with a more unique army than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote