Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Friend has a question...
Old 14 Nov 2008, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Adm. Constantine Send a message via Yahoo to Adm. Constantine
Default My Friend has a question...

He's asking me this: which should he get? Necrons or Space Wolves? he wants a massed army, but he wants it to look cool and be powerful at the same time, which should he buy?
Games lost: 6(We'll be bak! we'z neva lose!)
Games tied: 1

Imperial Guard Statistics:
Games played: 4
Games won: 2
Games lost: 1
Adm. Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My Friend has a question...

If your friend wants a massed army, has he not thought of Orks, Tyranids or the Imperial Guard? These armies use massed numbers to crush their enemies.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your friend doesn't seem to understand what the armies are or do. Necrons are the farthest away from massed that any army can feasibly be without stupid examples (like all biker-nob Ork armies).

Tell him to pick up the army books and skim through them. Maybe read some fluff and understand how the game works.
Ninja Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

He could probably cram more wolves into an army, but Necrons actually play sort of like a hoard army
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Adm. Constantine Send a message via Yahoo to Adm. Constantine

He doesn't like Orks(thinks they get taken down and wiped out to easily) he doesn't think Guard are good either, like I said he wants a good(heavily armored and armed) army that can overwhelm their enemies.

He's choosing by what looks coolest to him(he has Tau, I taught him how to play with the rules book) but he lacked the codex, and after seeing my Guard army wipe the map with his Tau(keeping behind Tanks so his Tau couldn't kill my men) I went withen 12 inches for infantry firing range and made hia 2 squads of Fire Warriors retreat(I had like 100 Guards fire at 24 Fire Warriors) 6 of each squad died and his men failed morale and broke, Kroot were broken by my Leman Russes and my Basilisk opened fire on his Tau obliderating an entire squad, his lone Battlesuit got into cc with a souped up Commissar and lost.

in the end, the 512th Imperial Rifles beat his Tau.

He's seen what they look like, and he thinks Space Wolves look coolest(he doesn't want a linear Space Marine Army) like mine which is Ultramarines.

we with with a 1.5k point battle, and I let him field all his Tau(no codex so we didn't know) he had like:

24 Fire Warriors
2 Pathfinders
1 Battlesuit
1 Devilfish
12 Kroot
Games lost: 6(We'll be bak! we'z neva lose!)

Imperial Guard Statistics:
Games played: 4
Games won: 2
Games lost: 1
Adm. Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 00:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i would hope you would be able to win at 1.5k, he had arround 500pts on the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If he thinks orks get taken down and wiped out too easily, then he REALLY needs to look at how 40k works before picking an army. It's clear that he has no experience whatsoever with fluff or rules, so why don't you guide him a little bit? Or if you're inexperienced too, then get the GW staff to help him out.

Given that he wants the most heavily armed, heavily armored, and numerous guys there are, it seems more like he's just looking for the "best" army. Pound it into his head that there is no such thing.
Ninja Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 03:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, that's nowhere near 1.5k, no wonder you stomped him. You really need to get a codex if you're going to try and play games.

As for "the best" army, there isn't one, but Tau have some good firepower and armor so I'd say he should just stick with what he's got. There is no "best at everything" army unless he wants to play linear Space Marines like everyone else.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 17:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like both of you just started, so I'll put away the Dreadsock for now.

Here a few pointers to set both of you on the right track.

-The Codex Is Your Friend: Judging - or even playing - an army without an Codex is simply not possible. I play Tau since they came out, and I still turn the car around if I'm going to a game and realise my Codex is still at home.

-The Rulebook Is Your Friend, Too! Same thing as with the Codex.

-Starting Small Is Not A Shame: Really, it isn't. Especially with armies that virtually live through their special rules like Tau (Jet Packs, Stealth Fields, Markerlights...), commanding 1500 Points at the same time can be daunting.

-But Not Too Small: A game revolving around Shas'la Korst and his trusted-but-demented Kroot Sidekick is not much fun. Be sure to bring a tank, as well! ;-) around 750 points should be a good start.

-You Can, And You Will, Lose: It happens; especially when you're young and new to the Hobby. Better get used to it.

-There Is No Super Army: No army grants you an auto-win, and every army needs YOU to make the right decisions at the right time. Thats the whole point of 40K. Every army can beat every other army.

Thats it. A couple of Tips that should help you getting started. And if your friend decides to stick with Tau, we will be more than happy to help him ;-)

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 17:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, it's been said before, but it's good to stress these things. There's no such thing as an army that is large in numbers and heavily armed/ hard to kill. Orks are a nice combination of both, because although a single ork is easy to kill, they're large in numbers, making them hard to get rid of. They can also dish out a lot of killy dakka, which seems to be what your friend likes best....
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote