Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help with a campaign?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default help with a campaign?

i need some help, i am working on setting up a local campaign and need some help with getting a map set up. anyone know a program to build a map?

(also this was the olny place i could think of to post this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: help with a campaign?

What kind of map are you looking for? Kind of a flow diagram for scenario progression? (If enemy wins go here, If victor wins go here?) Or are you looking for a terrain map?

If you want a flow chart you could use a standard office program. Most presentation software also supports flow chart diagramming.

If you are looking for terrain mapping, I personally use paper and pencil and perhaps MS Paint. Though if you wanted to get incredibly technical you might use a CAD program. Maybe even Vassal could help you set something up, though I haven't seen all of the terrain that comes standard with it.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i am looking for something that lets me do this, and i would use a pen and paper but it would just look neater on the comp (i am not that neat with drawings)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...u/vogenmap.jpg

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 12 Nov 2008, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Could you not just use the map you provided in your post? Or why not gather some of the original road planes for a part of the city/town you live in, that could be a fun campaign. I think you can request copies from city/town hall
stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 03:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it would be interesting to use the street plan for the KC area, i didnt think of that, just need to get them and divide it up, TY ;D

Quote:
Quote:
Old 15 Nov 2008, 04:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, i got a map, im planing on one with XP, and a roster (described in the 4th ed book) units can die and be gone this way and i dont know what size roster to do, i think like 10-12 rounds would be enough, probably around 1500pts per game so anyone have any ideas that might help? TY

also i found something in the back of the 4th ed book that said something arround 50% more than the pt value for 2-5 games, i did the math using 4 instead of 2-5 and came up at 9000 pts

Quote:
Quote:
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just to give you some ideas, this is what me and my friends are doing. Here's our map, which I just got off google maps and zoomed way in on, I believe, The Dominican Republic. I then broke it down into a 6x6 tile system.

We're doing turn based movement where team1 declares a move, fights, then team2, repeat. Each team has 4 players and we keep it simple. You just have to play someone, anyone, from the other team for it to count. We have all families and jobs, so no routine schedules or anything.

We only allow moves to adjacent zones with an exception to a random move system we created. For interest we're using Cities of Death stratagems, modified a bit for 5th edition and our needs. The bonus zones give you one stratagem in your fights. We have other rules on getting stratagems but it's a long explanation. The winner is the team that owns 50% of the map.

We spent a good deal of time planning out our campaign and my brief explanation doesn't do it justice, however I wanted to keep it short and maybe give you some ideas.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that sounds like fun, in the one im setting up its a 9000pt roster (i decided to go with that) and each game is played at 1500pts, i wont do any KP games (i think its cheese to help marines) so you dont have to worry about that, the roster is an incentive to not just throw your units at your opponent (unless you play a hord army) its also easier to track experience that way, i also came up with something specal for the deathwing player we have, i didnt want to make his list void (you cant use a single char/model in 4 games in a row, 3 is the cap then he sits out one) so for any army list that needs a specal char to work,: the ravenwing, deathwing, ect you can run the list but the downside is for them you cant have the bonus apothecary/flag bearer unless the specal char is in your list. for marines and orks, there specal chars upgrades require them to be in the list for the most part (havnt had a good chance to look at the marines yet)

Quote:
Quote: