Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adeptus Mechanicus and how to represent them
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Adeptus Mechanicus and how to represent them

Listen I'm really set on converting an Adeptus Mechanicus army (I was inspired to create an entirely converted army by a regular at my shop who is making a Cathayan army). Problem is, I don't know how they are best represented. Most people use the Imperial Guard codex, but I don't feel that's a 100% accurate representation. I was looking at the Witch Hunters codex however, and I feel that there is a lot of potential in that list to even better represent the Ad Mech. I feel this to be particularly true if I can still use Inducted Guard with Doctrines (that's kind of a question, can I use doctrines like Cyber-enhancements in inducted guard? I find the wording to kind of go either way).

Obviously Guard Platoons represent Skitarii, and Stormtroopers represent the Praetorians (or whatever the hell they are, for whatever reason I can't remember the proper name for the life of me, which is odd considering I had written an Ad Mech fandex before). I also feel that, should the need for an 'elitie' army arise, using Space Marines with the Mechanicus Shoulderpads could be a fluffy addition, as allies.

All up to you, my fair-haired people. Or no-haired. I ask that you state which codex you'd use and why. I'd also take tips on how to convert my models up to look nice, if you would.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Adeptus Mechanicus and how to represent them

It's already covered on the GW website: Imperial Guard with Doctrines.

The site's currently down, so I can't get the Doctrines in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, I've seen that. And no, I cannot find it on GW's site anymore. It's not there. Removed entirely, never again to be read by anyone in English.

Old 11 Nov 2008, 22:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Yes, I've seen that. And no, I cannot find it on GW's site anymore. It's not there. Removed entirely, never again to be read by anyone in English.
We'll miss you... :'(

I'd use the guard codex, though I've only flipped through the witch hunters dex, I could change my mind...
Anyway (flips open guard codex...) possible doctrines, cyber-enhancement give 6+ inv. save, grenadiers (skitarii), carapace armour 4+ armour save, sharpshooters? (representing improved mechanical targeting systemes?)
For modeling I imagine lot's of bulky armour and dakka, they should be very shooty, possibly with heavy cyber enhancments.
These are just my thoughts, hope this helps though...

Typhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl

All up to you, my fair-haired people. Or no-haired. I ask that you state which codex you'd use and why. I'd also take tips on how to convert my models up to look nice, if you would.
I've got hair!!!
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 05:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

As far as I know, inducted guard in an Inquisition army can not use doctrines... Though my basis for this is that it's specifically faq'd (I think) that they can use wargear from the IG codex but it makes no mention about using doctrines, however I suppose if you're paying for them I wouldn't say no...
Just remember that you must fill the 2 mandatory troop choices from the Inquisition codex you use before you add your inducted guard... some people forget that...
Hope that helps some ^^
Old 12 Nov 2008, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To my knowledge inducted guard in Inquisition armies cannot use doctrines, however if you were using a guard army you can use the Inquisition forces as allies - then they could have doctrines. but then you wouldnt get the Inquisition list goodies.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 00:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have, for the moment, decided to use Guard to represent my Adeptus Mechanicus, with allied Witch Hunters later on. The deciding factor was pretty much the Doctrines, but also the fact that I want to include a Knight titan or two in the army as Leman Russ tanks, and for that I&#39;d need 2 platoons of Hyaspists anyway. Well, I suppose I could use 2 armoured fist squads, but even so, I can&#39;t be wasting money on Chimeras when there are Titans to build!

So, I&#39;ll put up my ideas in the Imperial Guard thread I guess.

Old 13 Nov 2008, 06:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I was going to suggest representing Skitaari with Sternguard and other, shooty elements from the Marine codex. You&#39;d take "Pedro Kantor" as a Tech-Priest Magos or something, and it&#39;d be dakka. Dakka dakka Marines.

Well, good luck with your Guard army.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I&#39;ll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You&#39;ve got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 11:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well obviously if you play gothic they have the rules for an entire admech fleet. or if you want to be interesting take a codex marine army with 3 elite, 3 heavy and 2 HQ tech marines plus some other stuff and you have a psudo marine admech list.