Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assaulting in ruins
Old 10 Nov 2008, 04:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Assaulting in ruins

Reading page 85, my buddy and I were unsure of how to resolve a certain charge into a ruin. I had a nob charging into a ruin, and he had some Necron warriors on the second floor. I couldn't get up to the second floor, as I was 1" shy of making up. However, page 85 states you use the coherency rules for ruins to determine who is engaged. Then it further goes on to say if you can't reach a model on a higher or lower floor, it is fine to place them under/over the enemy to assault stating they are assulting up/down stairs. The picture shows this too, but has models in base to base on the first floor.

My charge would not have had any models technically in base to base, but do these paragraphs read that, in ruins, being above or below an enemy counts as being in base to base? Or does at least one model have to be in base to base, then others are engaged to enemies above and below?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Assaulting in ruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Reading page 85, my buddy and I were unsure of how to resolve a certain charge into a ruin. I had a nob charging into a ruin, and he had some Necron warriors on the
second floor. I couldn't get up to the second floor, as I was 1" shy of making up. However, page 85 states you use the coherency rules for ruins to determine who is engaged. Then it further goes on to say if you can't reach a model on a higher or lower floor, it is fine to place them under/over the enemy to assault stating they are assulting up/down stairs. The picture shows this too, but has models in base to base on the first floor.

My charge would not have had any models technically in base to base, but do these paragraphs read that, in ruins, being above or below an enemy counts as being in base to base? Or does at least one model have to be in base to base, then others are engaged to enemies above and below?
Pg 83 shows you how the model is supposed to be moved when in ruins.

Page 33 and 34 about close assaults.

If you are not able to move into base contact with your Nob to the Necron that is on another level than you on your assault phase; then your assault attempt has failed.

Hope this helps.

Old 11 Nov 2008, 16:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your nob needed to actually get up to the second level and in base to base. Then if you had some models directly below him they would be considered as also being part of that combat.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 17:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I 'm just looking for another way of saying this, as I predict that it may happen to me.

So I try and charge my Nob up to the second floor, must get into base to base or the charge fails, OK.

The warriors on the second floor happen to fill all areas the Nob can fit in. Assuming you have more than enough movement to make it up if there was room, the charge would work but you wouldn't be in base to base? Or would this mean that that unit cannot be assaulted (unlikely)?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 20:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i would think the squad would be unassailable if there arnt any guys in base to base, something i will have to remember >

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
I 'm just looking for another way of saying this, as I predict that it may happen to me.

So I try and charge my Nob up to the second floor, must get into base to base or the charge fails, OK.

The warriors on the second floor happen to fill all areas the Nob can fit in. Assuming you have more than enough movement to make it up if there was room, the charge would work but you wouldn't be in base to base? Or would this mean that that unit cannot be assaulted (unlikely)?
I think I remember this being in the rules, that you could still assault them...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Look at the last paragraph on page 85 of the Big Rule book. It says that if you are capable of launching an assault, but it is genuinely impossible to put the models in base to base contact, then just put it as close as possible to their opponents. Just be sure to tell your opponent which models are in base to base and which ones are not.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote