Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

AoE, EotI programing language
Old 06 Nov 2008, 16:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default AoE, EotI programing language

I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if it has no place, so could a mod move or delete this as you see fit?

What I'm looking for is if anyone knows what language Armies and Enemies of the Imperium is programed in? Since GW was not updated it in forever I'd like to do my own updates.

I know their are other programs out there that I can build an army with, but I really don't care for the interface on any of them. I like this set up, and would like to continue using it for anything past Eldar and Tau.

Thanks in advance!
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: AoE, EotI programing language

Since it doesn't appear that they have any intention on making any more updates, perhaps you should direct your query to them as to any editing capabilities.
http://ial.games-workshop.com/support/default.htm
I can't imagine that they would have a problem with you doing it yourself since they are clearly not interested in keeping it current.

Personally, I prefer AB, and for my time, I don't know if it would be worth it to program all the new stats... but that's just me.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I shot them off an email about a year ago and no one ever responded. I figure with the wealth of knowledge we have here, maybe someone would know.

I just don't want to pay for anything after buying these and don't feel like writing an excel sheet on it.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 07 Nov 2008, 02:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togashi Johnathan
I just don't want to pay for anything after buying these and don't feel like writing an excel sheet on it.
It's completely understandable if you like the interface and I hear you on the saving money part. If you could break down and update the data files, the question would be; how long would it take you and how much is your time worth?

Just out of curiosity, how much did they cost? (Assuming you got them as new.)
Old 07 Nov 2008, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I want to say it was right around $40 US each, so $80 all told. I know I'm strange, I'm trying to update my own files in The Forge, but I really don't care for how it prints out, and I love my excel sheets, but sometimes the backside programing can get really really REALLY boring.

Also, it maybe as simple as filling out a chart and hitting an insert button. I won't know unless I can get inside. They may have an updater just sitting it. Or I might have to run through 1000's of lines of code. In which case it would be better to just pony up. But I'd like to know one way or the other.
Old 07 Nov 2008, 20:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It is effectively impossible for you to update the actual program (that is, the .exe) without the original source code. Even if you knew what language it was made in, that original source code is "compiled": turned from the human readable language into machine code, and it undergoes many changes and optimizations in the process. It is impossible to de-compile the program into the original source, or even anything remotely usable.

What you really need to do is edit the data files that the program uses, that describes the army lists... the issue may be that the programs themselves may not support the logic necessary to describe the newer formats of lists. If I was writing such a program, I would have included a Lua interpreter in the engine to allow the lists to embed their own validation and mutability logic. It is possible that they included a script language interpreter, which could make it easier.

Your best bet, honestly, is to buy Army Builder. The amount of time it would take to reverse engineer and update the formats with the new codexes would not be a trivial undertaking, and you wouldn't legally be able to re-sell or even share your changes/updates. Therefore, you'd be doing it all for yourself. Fifty hours later, I'm betting $40 won't look like that big of a deal ;-)
Old 07 Nov 2008, 21:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, but army builder looks bad, at least to me. So i guess i'll just have to suck it up and write my own spreadsheet. Thanks Maine, you made my decision a lot easier. Rock on.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Yeah, but army builder looks bad, at least to me. So i guess i'll just have to suck it up and write my own spreadsheet. Thanks Maine, you made my decision a lot easier. Rock on.
That's a pretty good option too, honestly, especially if you are familiar with the software, and especially if it's only made for a single army, then you don't need to worry about all the different army list behaviors.

Army Builder's interface isn't the prettiest, but it gets the job done very well and it's output is decent. The army lists are also vetted by the community - I've learned a few things thanks to it, that were easy to miss or misunderstand just reading the codex. I've also found a couple bugs with it (a couple errors with some obscure items), that the ab40k group has fixed.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I want to say it was right around $40 US each, so $80 all told.
Yikes! No wonder you weren't willing to give up so easily.

I know Army Builder isn't the prettiest thing out there, but the up side is that the output is completely customizable and the support for the program is second to none. I was waffling about buying it, and when I did, for dirt cheap on eBay, might I add, I have no regrets. (Would it help to know that I got AB for $16?)

Otherwise, there are a couple other freebees out there, a couple of which I've used and would consider decent alternatives. jArmy Tool and Army Picker are decent and pretty easy to load/update lists. The Forge is also out there, but it's pretty basic and is just a glorified calculator.