Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Firing From Fast Vehicles
Old 28 Oct 2008, 19:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Firing From Fast Vehicles

I am asking this to see if I got hosed or not.

Can a fast vehicle that is a transport (a Raider in this case) have all aboard fire after moving 12".

Pg. 66 about "Fire Points" says that models may not fire at all if the vehicle has moved at cruising speed (12").

Pg. 70 talks about being able fire all defensive weapons, just like other types of vehicle moving at combat speed. I think that it was from this inference that my opponent said he could move 12" and still shoot with everyone on board.

Being that it was a Dark Eldar army, it seemed to fit and I agreed to it. We played and I lost, but I would like to know this for the future.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2008, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Firing From Fast Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77
I am asking this to see if I got hosed or not.

Can a fast vehicle that is a transport (a Raider in this case) have all aboard fire after moving 12".

Pg. 66 about "Fire Points" says that models may not fire at all if the vehicle has moved at cruising speed (12").

Pg. 70 talks about being able fire all defensive weapons, just like other types of vehicle moving at combat speed. I think that it was from this inference that my opponent said he could move 12" and still shoot with everyone on board.

Being that it was a Dark Eldar army, it seemed to fit and I agreed to it. We played and I lost, but I would like to know this for the future.
No, they cannot. The vehicle and the transported unit are separate units (indeed they can each pick a different target) and the rule that grants the vehicle the ability to fire 'as if at combat speed' does not apply to any transported unit.

This also impacts Orks riding in trukks. No high speed drive-bys.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bah, then I got hosed.... At least it was a challenging game. :P

Serves me right for only using Tyranids and Marnies in Drop Pods in 5th ed.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You're surely right, but it seems to me not logical.. because the unit inside doesn't "move" so why can't they fire?
That the pilots, concentrate as they are on avoiding at hidh speed can't fire all their weapons, ok..
But the unit inside does nothing, so that they can fire seems logical..
A unit of Firewarriors of Tau, can disembark from a devilfish, and fire... and in the example, the dark eldar didn't not even disembark

"Losses are acceptables, Failure is not" (R.Guilliman)
sarddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2008, 19:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarddok
You're surely right, but it seems to me not logical.. because the unit inside doesn't "move" so why can't they fire?
That the pilots, concentrate as they are on avoiding at hidh speed can't fire all their weapons, ok..
A unit of Firewarriors of Tau, can disembark from a devilfish, and fire... and in the example, the dark eldar didn't not even disembark
They themselves may not be moving relative to the 'ground' they stand/sit on, but they still have velocity relative to targets, and the vehicle is likely dodging fire/turning/bouncing around while it moves fast. There's a 'realism' reason.

From a gameplay perspective, probably because it could be overpowering for those armies who have lots of fast transports. Transports are all-around more useful than they were in 4th edition already... that would just be over the top.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarddok
To me it made sense too - especially considering they were Dark Eldar. The way that this army list played seemed true to the way that the DE would operate on the field of battle.

@Maine, you also have a point about it being overpowered. It was really hard to deal with 6 fast vehicles that were rapid firing out of the open topped skimmers. This player also had a Haemonculus (sp?) attached to each unit with the flame weapon that is AP D6. If they could only have moved 6" and pulled this maneuver, I know that I would have been able to handle things a little better.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 23:51   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Just as a question, how many of us think we could go 25-30 miles an hour and hit a stationary target with a rifle?

Now in practice how many of us actually could?

Now double that for Fast Vehicles, at least :P
Old 30 Oct 2008, 01:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't shot a gun in their life, it is impossible to hit anything when you are in a moving vehicle.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 02:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just for reference, p66 has your answer.
Transported models may not fire at all if the vehicle moved at Cruising speed.
He would still be able to fire the vehicle's one main, and all defensive weapons at 12" though.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 02:41   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't shot a gun in their life, it is impossible to hit anything when you are in a moving vehicle.
Glad somebody has their feet firmly in reality

(This was a compliment, I have next to no doubts that someone else would have said they could and have done it before :)