Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in combat
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in combat

ok i was having a battle with 2 other friends, just an all on all and me(SM) and another friend(TAU) were in combat and then the other other guy(chaos) wanted to shoot into the fight between the SM and TAU but we couldn't find the rule for who he shoots at so yeah is there a rule to figure this out?
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in comba

You can't shoot into combat. Bottom line.

Though personally...The greater good would love to shooting into CC. >

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in combat

There were rules for this in White Dwarf in multi-player Free-for-alls, I don't remember which one though. I know you randomize the shots: Pick a unit, roll to hit, after that roll again, 4-6 hits the unit you shot at, 1-3 hits the other unit in combat, after that it's normal wounding and armour save rules.

I think. I tried to remember it as best I could because that's a cool rule. The normal rules for shooting into close combat would be illogical, as you're not worried about hitting your own troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:25   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in combat

Gearhead, You've got it right.

They actually have an example of this in the Rulebook.

Its in the back somewhere, Wargamer knows where it is though.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

that rule annoys me at times. i mean once, it was 2 grots vs 20 khorne bezerkers. I shot into the comnat with my tau, hoping to down some bezerkers. With 6 hits, 4 go to the 2 grots. surrounded by 20 massive super soldiers.

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Try the Broken Alliance scenario on page 272 of the rulebook. In the bottom right of the right page, it tells you how to resolve shooting at combats between two enemies (and it's basically that each shot has a 50% chance of hitting each side).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Try the Broken Alliance scenario on page 272 of the rulebook. In the bottom right of the right page, it tells you how to resolve shooting at combats between two enemies (and it's basically that each shot has a 50% chance of hitting each side).
Thats the one I was talking about, I couldnt remember the page number >_<
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 16:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The thing is, the game was designed for a 1on1 game. That's why the book makes no exceptions for free for all type games and firing into combat. As people have said, there are quite a few sources for optional rules for this sort of situation, usually involving randomizing the hits. I say try it out and see what happens. Free for all games are usually going to involve having to house rule a few things anyway.

Of course, I play Skaven in Fantasy, so naturally I'm pretty happy with rules that allow firing into combat
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Fuzzy area with rules: shotting at an enemy when 2 other enemys are in comba

actually as a couple people have stated, there are rules for it Look under broken alliance.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

We do have a house rule with blast and template weapons, the hits don't shift from one unit to the other. If you hit three marines and two firewarriors with a flamer, the hits don't randomize to say you hit five marines and no firewarriors.

That's just our house rule though, go with whatever you want. As fish ead said, the game was designed for one-on-one, three players mixes stuff up.

Three players are really fun though, particularly when there's backstabbing involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote